The Best Horror/Sci-Fi Movies

Marines

Reaction score
I might as well take it upon myself to this as no one else has. My two favorite genres.

1. Dawn of the Dead
2. Lifeforce (One of the best sci-fi movies ever)
3. Day of the Dead
4. 28 Days Later
5. Dawn of the Dead (Remake)
6. Aliens
7. The Exorcist
8. Re-Animator
9. Creature (Old school)
10. Dreamcatcher

The list goes on.

Reaction score
Just to be a bit retentive, the movies cited, for the most part fit into what I call Terror movies. I am from the old school, where horror comes from the inside. Many of these movies do not allow that, but force it upon you, terrorizing the viewer.

Classic movies such as Frankenstein (1931), Dracula (1931), The Woflman (1941), The Mummy (1932), etc. are horror movies to me. Horror should include conflicts of humanity and the individual against the unnatural. IMHO.

Personally, I can't stand terror. However, of those movies below cited, I think Aliens was one of the scariest movies I ever saw. I saw it in the theatres when it first came out. I wouldn't watch any of the others in the series until they were on TV. (My 11 year old thinks the Alien series is great, and made me take him to Alien v Predator.)

Of the "Dead"movies, I like "Night" best. It was so campy it was enjoyable.

I remember seeing the Exorcist in the theatres, in a second release in 1974. Except for one or two moments in the film, I found it funny. Maybe it was that I was a junior in HS.

I agree that "Lifeforce" was a really good Sci-Fi movie, very interesting premise, but not what I consider the greatest. "My all time favorite Sci-Fi is "Forbidden Planet". On that note, of the three genres I note here, I'll take Sci-Fi.

Richa333

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sci-Fi -- For me it's a toss-up between "Forbidden Planet" ('cause of everything Iron Mike said) and "Blade Runner" (NOT the director's cut, I actually admire the original Hollywood-ized release much more -- well, I are strange!).

For both: because while they are set in a futuristic world, what they REALLY do is to tell stories about our current culture and some of the moral dilemmas / dangers that we face...AND they have both plot and character! Amazing!!! Plus how NOT to love a movie with Harrison Ford???

My favorite line from Blade Runner: "So, you Brade Lunner?" While the accent was thick the delivery was awesome, also that one line was the 1 of the three major themes of the movie and the book ("What is a human being?").

Horror -- Aliens. Not just a horror movie, but a terror movie also. THat movie did it all; stunned you with violence forced upon you, while also bringing up every inside horror that our mammal brains have...my daughter finally saw it this week (she's 19, her boyfriend made her see it) and she couldn't sleep for 2 days.

The scene in the air duct with the Lieutenant and the Marine, nothing but a pistol and a grenade...
:scream: :scream: :scream:

Reaction score
Originally posted by richa333
Sci-Fi -- For me it's a toss-up between "Forbidden Planet" ('cause of everything Iron Mike said) and "Blade Runner" (NOT the director's cut, I actually admire the original Hollywood-ized release much more -- well, I are strange!).

For both: because while they are set in a futuristic world, what they REALLY do is to tell stories about our current culture and some of the moral dilemmas / dangers that we face...AND they have both plot and character! Amazing!!! Plus how NOT to love a movie with Harrison Ford???

My favorite line from Blade Runner: "So, you Brade Lunner?" While the accent was thick the delivery was awesome, also that one line was the 1 of the three major themes of the movie and the book ("What is a human being?").

Horror -- Aliens. Not just a horror movie, but a terror movie also. THat movie did it all; stunned you with violence forced upon you, while also bringing up every inside horror that our mammal brains have...my daughter finally saw it this week (she's 19, her boyfriend made her see it) and she couldn't sleep for 2 days.

The scene in the air duct with the Lieutenant and the Marine, nothing but a pistol and a grenade...
:scream: :scream: :scream:
I saw the director's cut of Blade Runner a few weeks back. I found myself following the movie very intently. Where the theatrical release had the voice-over, to guide the viewer, which helped fill in some blanks, the director's cut forced me to pay attention to details. I saw this movie when it first came out and try not to miss it when it is on TV. Even knowing the movie, from beginning to end so well, it was refreshing to follow it without the audio "aid".

The one thing I really found interesting, was the different endings. When watching the director's cut, I was waiting for the final scene driving through the countryside. The director's version did not have that. We were left hanging wondering about Deckard and Rachel's future. Without the audio, we didn't know that Rachel had no termination date. Without the final driving scene, we had no idea what would become of them.

One of the final images of the movie, Gaff's origami unicorn made an interesting comment. Actually, two things. One, his having been there, and took no action. Interesting to conjecture why. Two, the tie-in to Deckard's unicorn dream. Except for Rachel's inquiry, as to whether or not he ever thought he might be a replicant, this is the only instance in the movie where that element was brought to the surface. Which bring's us back to your comment, what is a human being?

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ugh, I can only pick ten!?

1. Day of the Dead
2. Shaun of the Dead
3. Deep Red
4. Blade Runner
5. Aliens
6. In the Mouth of Madness
7. Haute Tension
8. Suspiria
9. The Thing
10. Saw (I haven't even seen it yet, but I'll give it mention!)

If you asked me tomorrow, I'd probably modify the list some, but that's what I came up with right now...

Now for comments on yours -
Originally posted by Marines
I might as well take it upon myself to this as no one else has. My two favorite genres.

1. Dawn of the Dead
Awesome
2. Lifeforce (One of the best sci-fi movies ever)
Never saw it:(
3. Day of the Dead
My favorite romero! :D
4. 28 Days Later
One part zombie, one part Kubrick (in my opinion it had a Kubrick feel for the last half. Awesome movie
5. Dawn of the Dead (Remake)
I can't believe how good this was, I went into the movie half-dreading it, but after the first 10 minutes, and by the time the Johnny Cash song was done, I looked like a 5 year old in a candy store.
6. Aliens
Well duh!
7. The Exorcist
While I liked it, and it was pretty well done, I was never a HUGE fan.
8. Re-Animator
We will DEFEAT Death! Great movie!
9. Creature (Old school)
Another I haven't seen :(
10. Dreamcatcher
... Sorry, but I thought this one was horrible. My only complaint on your list good sir.

The list goes on.
I hear that...

Reaction score
Re: Re: The Best Horror/Sci-Fi Movies

Originally posted by Overseer
Ugh, I can only pick ten!?

1. Day of the Dead
2. Shaun of the Dead
3. Deep Red
4. Blade Runner
5. Aliens
6. In the Mouth of Madness
7. Haute Tension
8. Suspiria
9. The Thing
10. Saw (I haven't even seen it yet, but I'll give it mention!)

If you asked me tomorrow, I'd probably modify the list some, but that's what I came up with right now...

Now for comments on yours -
OK. The Thing, the original, or John Carpenter's (shudder) remake?

The original was a ground breaker. Not only in story, but in picture making. For the first time, characters spoke over each other. No I speak, you speak, I speak, dialogue. It was very natural, and the confusion of the dialogue added to the suspense of the film.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whoa, Whoa. Shudder to John Carpenter? Well, John Carpenter pre-1995ish. We aren't speaking anymore Mike.

The original was good, but the Carpenter movie is awesome. The Carpenter version is closer to the source material and darker (a much higher level of paranoia and a darker picture of humanity - the characters are much more likely to turn on each other in Carpenter's - and in my opinion the characters in Carpenter's seem more realistic).

Richa333

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
I saw the director's cut of Blade Runner a few weeks back. I found myself following the movie very intently. Where the theatrical release had the voice-over, to guide the viewer, which helped fill in some blanks, the director's cut forced me to pay attention to details. I saw this movie when it first came out and try not to miss it when it is on TV. Even knowing the movie, from beginning to end so well, it was refreshing to follow it without the audio "aid".

The one thing I really found interesting, was the different endings. When watching the director's cut, I was waiting for the final scene driving through the countryside. The director's version did not have that. We were left hanging wondering about Deckard and Rachel's future. Without the audio, we didn't know that Rachel had no termination date. Without the final driving scene, we had no idea what would become of them.

One of the final images of the movie, Gaff's origami unicorn made an interesting comment. Actually, two things. One, his having been there, and took no action. Interesting to conjecture why. Two, the tie-in to Deckard's unicorn dream. Except for Rachel's inquiry, as to whether or not he ever thought he might be a replicant, this is the only instance in the movie where that element was brought to the surface. Which bring's us back to your comment, what is a human being?
I think I like the Hollywood (original release) version of Blade Runner better because, as you hint above, the story closed rather than was left hanging...the "leave 'em hanging" ending being fine; but I like stories I'm experiencing to have an END!!! Also I will admit to being a "lazy American" so the audio voice-over really helped me through the movie...

I loved Gaff's origami in both versions. For me, it was part of the film-maker's answer to the book-author's question "What is a human being" -- namely the film-maker was saying, "A human being has compassion" as demonstrated by not just Gaff but also by Rutger Haer's character and of course Decker himself.

Reaction score
Originally posted by richa333
I think I like the Hollywood (original release) version of Blade Runner better because, as you hint above, the story closed rather than was left hanging...the "leave 'em hanging" ending being fine; but I like stories I'm experiencing to have an END!!! Also I will admit to being a "lazy American" so the audio voice-over really helped me through the movie...

I loved Gaff's origami in both versions. For me, it was part of the film-maker's answer to the book-author's question "What is a human being" -- namely the film-maker was saying, "A human being has compassion" as demonstrated by not just Gaff but also by Rutger Haer's character and of course Decker himself.
I am not your usual American, and I am not bothered by a cliffhanger without resolution. I love the what ifs. That is why I like reading so much. My imagination fills in the blanks. I (personally) feel patronized if I have everything fed to me. I like the exercise of the mind.

The origami was a nice touch. Going back to my theatre days, when I studied directing, I was taught that every character, both good and bad needed to have something about them that is reachable. Origami is artistic. It touches upon one of the great elements of humanity. As an aside, Blofeld's white persian cat (and Doc S's) shows a humane if not human side to the villain (Doc, we know you're really a sweatheart of a guy).

Give me the humanity in a stroy, and I can put up wth the blood and gore.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The theatrical ending wasn't necessarily bad to me, but I'm twisted, so I like darker movies and endings better. The end of the director's cut let you come to your own conclusions, and thus involved me more in the film. The ending made you wonder about whether or not they made it, or whether or not they'd have their happily ever after...

Patrocles

Reaction score
my favorites in no particular order...

scifi:
2001: A Space Odyssey
Blade Runner (the director's cut)
Silent Running

Horror:
Alien
Aliens
Night of the Living Dead

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of the horror genre, so personally I would have to focus on the sci-fi genre. My favorites would be..

1) Blade Runner
2) Terminator
3) Total Recall
4) Aliens
5) Star Wars
6) Close Encounters of the Third Kind
7) Starman
8) Saturn 3 (just for Farrah)

I have yet to see the "directors cut" of Blade Runner.........

Reaction score
Originally posted by Patrocles
my favorites in no particular order...

scifi:
2001: A Space Odyssey
Blade Runner (the director's cut)
Silent Running

Horror:
Alien
Aliens
Night of the Living Dead
There are so many Sci-Fi movies to choose from, I forgot about Silent Running. A very quirky movie, not very well received, but worth sitting through, nevertheless.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1) Forbidden Planet
2) 2001 A Space Odyssey
3) 2010 The Year we Make Contact
4) Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
4) Star Trek: The Motion Picture (extended theatrical rel.)
5) Aliens
6) The Thing from Another World
7) Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring
7) LotR - Two Towers
7) LotR - Return of the King
8) Star Wars
8) SW - Empire Strikes Back
8) SW - Revenge of the Jedi
9) Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
9) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
10) Event Horizon

Except for Forbidden Planet the films are not ranked in popularity.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
There are so many Sci-Fi movies to choose from, I forgot about Silent Running. A very quirky movie, not very well received, but worth sitting through, nevertheless.
I always used to cry when the little Robots died...

Dr. S.

Marines

Reaction score
Whoa, Whoa. Shudder to John Carpenter? Well, John Carpenter pre-1995ish. We aren't speaking anymore Mike.

The original was good, but the Carpenter movie is awesome. The Carpenter version is closer to the source material and darker (a much higher level of paranoia and a darker picture of humanity - the characters are much more likely to turn on each other in Carpenter's - and in my opinion the characters in Carpenter's seem more realistic).
You said it right there. As for In the Mouth of Madness, I loved it.

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My Top Ten Sci-Fi

1)Signs - Like having a nightmare while wide awake

2)The Final Countdown - The ultimate "What if...?"

3)The Day the Earth Stood Still - Klaatu Barada Nek To

4)The Thing (Howard Hawks version) - The original space invader.

5)20,000 Miles to Earth and Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (Tie) - Ray Harryhausen, need I say more?

6)Invaders From Mars (both versions) - "Signs" vs. the USMC

7)Independence Day and War of the Worlds (Tie) - More Aliens vs. more Marines.

8)Aliens - Wow! Aliens vs. Marines again!

9)Them! - Giant Ants vs. the FBI, Arizona Highway Patrol and US Army!

10)Forbidden Planet - Shakespeare in space, with Leslie Nielson in a serious role. Can anyone tell the difference between Leslie Nielson in a serious vs. comic role? I can't.

Reaction score

Sorry Carpenter doesn't do it for me. To quote the character Banks, from Desert Saints, "In matters of opinion, debate is pointless, you can't account for taste."

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"In the Mouth of Madness" is probably the best Cthulhlu-esque movie ever made.

Although Carpenter's recent movies have been rather bland, "Halloween" has some incredible directing and cinematography.

However, when it comes to horror directors, no one beats George Romero or Dario Argento.

Reaction score
"In the Mouth of Madness" is probably the best Cthulhlu-esque movie ever made.

Although Carpenter's recent movies have been rather bland, "Halloween" has some incredible directing and cinematography.

However, when it comes to horror directors, no one beats George Romero or Dario Argento.
Romero I like. I can't place Argento. His movies?