the best FPS

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Which is the best First Person Shooter game in the market, and why?

Two subcategory: modern time FPS, and WWII FPS...

I would like to buy one ( I have some, but dunno the best in the market now)...

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Depends, do you focus on single player content or on multiplayer ?

For multiplayer try Enemy Territory, its 100% free and the best (IMHO) FPS there is. WW2 style, Axis vs Allies.
Other good multiplayer games: Battlefield 1942 (WW2), Unreal Tournament 2004 (SciFi)

Singleplayer: There are so many good games but for WW2 games try Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Call of Duty, a good modern FPS is FarCry (needs a GOOD computer!)

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
depends whether you wnat realism or stress-relief.

for Modern CQB - SWAT3 is still the best, then maybe the Rainbow 6 games

for Modern War - Operation Flashpoint is the best by far.

for WW2 - Call of Duty is fun, and intense.

just make sure you install Punkbuster regardless.

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Thanks for the replies!

My aim is single player and as much realism as software can achieve...

I have the medal of honor series, but it is somehow scripted fight, I would like more free fight against intelligent computer enemy (I know it is contradict each other :nuts: )...

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Have you tried the Road to Rome expansion pack for Battlefield1942? The bots in that are a lot better than the standard game, both enemy or allies.

Plus the many mods available extend the life of the game.

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Temujin said:
Have you tried the Road to Rome expansion pack for Battlefield1942? The bots in that are a lot better than the standard game, both enemy or allies.

Plus the many mods available extend the life of the game.

Mods are new for me (I will look for them), but Ihave the Road to Rome, I consider Medal of Honor better than Battlefield thou...

Tzar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you are looking for a realistic modern-era FPS, these are my personal choices:

-Operation Flashpoint: really good, although the graphics now look somewhat outdated (being a 2.5 years old game), but the gameplay is at the same time serious and fun.

-Ghost Recon: good graphics, good and realistic missions with a nice geo-political setting. The only thing I don't like is you can't control your team as much I would like to do. And some people don't like the fact that you don't see your weapon, personally it did not bothered me.

-America's Army: this one is surprisingly good, and besides, it's completely free (well, not really, since American taxpayers paid for it, thanks to all of you!)

Although not a strict FPS, I am impatiently awaiting Full Spectrum Warrior later this year: http://www.fullspectrumwarrior.com/
This game has been developed initially for the US Army to teach MOUT techniques to soldiers. They are making a game out of it. It seems very realistic and fun to play.

For WWII, Call of Duty reigns as King, although its main quality (heavily scripted game that makes you feel like you were there) is also its main weakness: once you have played once, there is not much incentive in playing it again.

Medal of Honor was good, but it's getting old.

Watch out for this one though, it sounds awesome: Brothers in Arms. Other info is also available here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/brothersinarms/index.html
This is a realistic tactical shooter based on a true story (much inspired from the Brothers In Arms serie of Spielberg). As squad lead, you will be able to give orders to each of your AI-controlled team mates, and you will have to use realistic tactics. There is no blasting your way in this game. This one's a must buy for me.

MonsterZero

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Far Cry" (screenshot below) is the newest and has the best visual effects. Overall the game is award winning, it got a very high score at Gamespot. Watch out for the system requirements though, they're steep. I think Far Cry is the last and most technically advanced of the current generation of games. Doom 3 will come out in a few months and send even Far Cry into the orbit. Everything will be different after Doom 3.

Last edited:

Alkiviadis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone tried "Viet Cong Fist Alpha/Purple Haze"?
Is it worth my $s?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Operation Flashpoint is very good. The graphics are dated, however, the second expansion pack improves them somewhat. It's still the best game of its kind around.

The best looking is certainly Far Cry. The graphics are astounding (see the full Warfare HQ review). The game is pretty good, but my money is on Doom III.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Don: check out Virtual Battlespace (by the same guys that did OPF), and see how the graphic have improved.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
for ww2
i would say wolfenstein ennemy territory because it has a lot of team potential eventhough it is not very realistic
the main problems with fps is that there are thousands of cheaters and also a lot of bad players who starts to swear during the game and so on, very different from the spirit of the wargamer :D , i'm sure all of us don't have the same definition of a wargamer but i'm also sure we all agree to say it's pretty cool :cool:

Last edited:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Desert Combat Mod for Battlefield: 1942 is fun, but not even close to being realistic.

Black Hawk Down: Team Sabre is amusing, as is Joint Operations, another Novalogic title.

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
I bought many FPS. :nuts:

In this moment I finished the Call of Duty... :nuts:
That was great I like it, but those damn stupid enemies whose just stood there waiting for my shoots...

The next one will be Delta Force Black Hawk Down (I already finished some scenario)...

Kaki

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Has anyone played tank simulations? Is there any good ones? Something was recently published but I can´t remember the name.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Steel Beasts is probably the best/most recent - I think Microporse had a good 'un too - but it's old.

Wait for Steel Beasts 2

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
Steel Beasts is probably the best/most recent - I think Microporse had a good 'un too - but it's old.

Wait for Steel Beasts 2
I agree with Ivan here. Steel Beasts is a great game. I'm not sure when SB2 is coming, so you may want to check that out and see if you can wait. It's apparently well behind schedule, but they keep talking like it's coming soon.

I believe if you go to steelbeasts.com, there's a demo for the original Steel Beasts which gives you a good feel for the game.

Take care,
Brian

SkyVon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CoD is still my favorite...with the new Heat of Battle (HOB) mod. While I like Wolfenstein ET, it's being free is both a boon and a curse. You can't beat the price of free, but playing with a slew of 12 yr olds who don't give a rats ass about what they do or say will take that great taste of "free" out of your mouth faster than you can say...oppps too late.

FarCry is the best single person FPS I've ever played and the worst multiplayer FPS I've ever played. All that in one game.

The new Mods for CoD (Heat of Battle, Revolt and others) do offer additions to the game. Some of the nice features of Wolfenstein ET (Medics, recapturable objectives etc..) can be found in these mods.