The beer thread

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Picked up a Pliny the Elder, a Ninkasi SLEIGHR (about to open), and a number of Stone 12.12.12's today for consumption :D

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone try Goose Island Mild Winter Ale? How would you rate it?

jesse

Recruit
Reaction score
Hi guys! Am new here but love a beer conversation.

@Morbii Just had my first Pliny the Elder the other night. Excellent brew, maybe one of my new faves!

Also had Ayinger's Celebrator Doppelbock for the first time. Another amazing beer, though I wasn't quite as impressed as the 97 BA rating would have had me believe.
Firestone's Wookey Jack Black Rye IPA is my favorite IPA in recent memory.
Current favorite brewery is Unibroue, with the Maudite and Grand Reserve 17 at the top of my list. Incredible beers, great bottles, awesome art.

But I'm a CO native so I always come back to Great Divide, Avery, O'Dell, Oskar Blues, Bristol's, Left Hand, and other local brews.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi guys! Am new here but love a beer conversation.

@Morbii Just had my first Pliny the Elder the other night. Excellent brew, maybe one of my new faves!

Also had Ayinger's Celebrator Doppelbock for the first time. Another amazing beer, though I wasn't quite as impressed as the 97 BA rating would have had me believe.
Firestone's Wookey Jack Black Rye IPA is my favorite IPA in recent memory.
Current favorite brewery is Unibroue, with the Maudite and Grand Reserve 17 at the top of my list. Incredible beers, great bottles, awesome art.

But I'm a CO native so I always come back to Great Divide, Avery, O'Dell, Oskar Blues, Bristol's, Left Hand, and other local brews.
Nice. I haven't had too many CO brews, but I have had Avery's "The Beast" and "Samael's".

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
There are so many more Colorado local brews these days.

Grimm Bros in Loveland. I heard of folks making the trek from Denver to Loveland for their beers. I've only had a couple of growlers myself (I tend to drink my own stuff day-to-day).

Black Bottle Brewery in Fort Collins. Some really fine beers. They were only making enough to serve their tap room, but they have doubled their capacity and hopefully will start selling further afield.

Funk Werks in Fort Collins. The Saison is to die for.... Not sure if they have a tap room (they inherited the old Fort Collins Brewery building when they upgraded....and they just barely had one) but they have a presence in the Liquor stores of consequence around here.

Equinox Brewing in Fort Collins.

Big Beaver Brewing in Loveland.

I don't know about Denver breweries, but living in the Fort Collins/Loveland area, why would I need to?
;)

jesse

Recruit
Reaction score
@Jazz I'd say you're missing out on the Denver/Boulder breweries, but sounds like you're not! ;) That's awesome to hear up north is doing well too! I've heard of Grimm Bros and Black Bottle both, but haven't yet had the pleasure. Do they bottle anything yet, or only do growlers and tap rooms? I live near Total Beverage in Thornton which has tons of local microbrews and vintage beers, would love to try some of those if they're available. If not, I may have to gather some friends and head up there!

@Morbii What'd you think of those?

Haven't had much new recently. Keep going back to favorites. Had Great Divide's Chocolate Oak-Aged Yeti, which was amazing, as you'd expect, but I think I like the standard Yeti better. It's pretty perfect, chocolate ironically subtracted a bit for me.
Am drinking a lot of Ska Brewing's Modus Hoperandi - a favorite IPA that competes with O'Dell's, Avery's, etc.
Also had Unibroue's Trois Pistoles. Has the same unique Unibroue flavor but a tad milder and with a bit more carbonation, making it possibly more drinkable than its richer brothers. May be my new favorite for that reason.

Anyone have suggestions for high quality but inexpensive beers? Finding great deals is a particular hobby of mine. Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale, for example, is an incredible steal at $4.99.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like my beer water miller high life, the champagne of beers.

Bob

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Morbii What'd you think of those?
It's been a while. Since I don't remember either of them overly well, I'm guessing I didn't figure they were great, but I also didn't figure they sucked :) I do probably need to try them again, though. Those really strong beers have a lot of flavor and a lot to offer, and you probably can't really judge it too well on one sitting many months ago!