The beer thread

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bottled my batch of West Coast Pale Ale today. It will be ready to drink in two weeks. My son and I then started brewing an Okotberfest Vienna lager. it is in the keg and will be ready to bottle in two weeks.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I bottled my batch of West Coast Pale Ale today. It will be ready to drink in two weeks. My son and I then started brewing an Okotberfest Vienna lager. it is in the keg and will be ready to bottle in two weeks.
How are you controlling the wort fermentation temperature for the lager? The temps I've heard quoted are pretty low....50-60 F. I'm not sure I can hold that without a dedicated fridge....which is near the top of my list of things to get next.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How are you controlling the wort fermentation temperature for the lager? The temps I've heard quoted are pretty low....50-60 F. I'm not sure I can hold that without a dedicated fridge....which is near the top of my list of things to get next.
My basement stays at a constant tempurature, but I bet it is higher than 60 F. The instructions in the kit didn't tell me about a lower temp it tlked more of a constant temp.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lagers are usually fermented at lower temps but I am by no means an expert on home brewing, I am starting soon though!

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lagers are usually fermented at lower temps ...
I think I read that somewhere. I'll see how this one tunrs out. If the temp becomes an issue, I can do lagers in Winter as my basement temp is usually a bit lower than what it is now.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I read that somewhere. I'll see how this one tunrs out. If the temp becomes an issue, I can do lagers in Winter as my basement temp is usually a bit lower than what it is now.
If your garage is connected and pretty well insulated, give the garage a try in the winter time. Mine usually hovers around 45-50 degrees on a "normal" winter day.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If your garage is connected and pretty well insulated, give the garage a try in the winter time. Mine usually hovers around 45-50 degrees on a "normal" winter day.
I live NE of Detroit. My garage is frozen solid most of the winter.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have two cases of Sam Adams Octoberfest in the frig as my general purpose beer now. We had a ASL get together this weekend, had some Belhaven and Wexford for the special event.

Drow

Reaction score
What we've did was put the bottles in an old cheap coolers and pack it with cooler bags (not sure of what the real name of them are) It's not hard to take a few from the freezer and replace as needed. It works here where the temp, is 75 to 80.
Bill

SSTK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't afford to beer buy since I am currently trying to acquire all of the out of print ASL modules; so I just drink whatever is my neighbor's fridge. The neighbor seem to have lots of money to buy beer and few friends to drink it with, so I consider it a fair business transaction -- he buys the beer, I drink it; he likes to talk about college football, I listen quietly while thinking about investing a couple of hundred in RS and GH unpunched and downing his brew....... My neighbor seems to like Coors Light, which I am okay with because it meets my three basic requirements: cold, free, and lots of it. However, all these discussions about different beers that have gone on in this thread have gotten me thinking that I need to tell my neighbor that he needs to upgrade his beer selection or he can find a new friend. After all, there is always the guy who lives in the house beside me or the dude across the street...... SSTK

PS: anyone know a beer brand that comes in a can with a black label and white lettering :devious:

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The last batch of beer I bottled became ready last week. It is "Bewitched Amber Ale" and it turned out very good.

One thing I've learned in making my own beer is that different beers have different serving tempuratures. This makes a big difference.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

I have a batch readied to be bottled in a few days. A simple Amber Ale, Looking forward to serving during the holidays to friends and family.

Anchor Xmas Ale is good if anyone is looking for a holiday beer.

Regards
Joe

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had some apple cider on hand and I was looking for an alcoholic receipe on the internet. I ran across a simple one which is just pour a glass half full of lager and then fill up the rest of the glass with the apple cider.

I never usually have lager, but it so happened I did have a few bottles today. I made the receipe and it actually tastes pretty good!

Last edited:

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had some apple cider on hand and I was looking for an alcoholic receipe on the internet. I ran across a simple one which is just pour a glass half full of lager and then fill up the rest of the glass with the apple cider.

I never usually have lager, but it so happened I did have a few bottles today. I made the receipe and it actually tastes pretty good!
If you like Cider's, then give Strongbow a try. I don't care for it, but a good friend of mine swears by it.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recommend before the season is over all of you try the Goose Island Christmas Ale and the Anchor Steam Christmas Ale

Enkindu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just opened a Blue Moon. It is not my favorite Belgian White Ale but it will do for tonight. Cheers.