The Bear and the Dragon

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
OK, after six months of playing ACOW, I've decided to have a go at scenario design. I've finally decided to design a scenario based on the Chinese attack on Russia described in Tom Clancy's "The Bear and the Dragon". I have found a decent map of the region, and have a fair idea of the OOB's, what I'm looking for is any suggestions as to theatre options/events. I suspect a lot of people in here will have read the book (If you haven't, get it!) so would look forward to any suggestions.

aussiesta

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Theater options

I'd suggest a 'Taiwan recognition' theater option for the Chinese: that could somehow diminish the chance of an American-led UN intervention to stop the war or force ceasefires; on the other hand, it would result in lower morale in the Chinese home front. There could also be a 'Taiwan recognition' option for the Russians, so they may get Taiwanese and American support, and maybe a small chance of a Taiwanese intervention in the war; the dark side - the Chinese would be more enraged against the Russian playing games with the Motherland (more morale, maybe a 105% shock for the Chinese?)
Another theater option could contemplate the Russians giving back half Sakhalin island and the Kurils in exchange for Japanese support, in terms of supplies of military intervention, and so losing VPs for surrendering land. The North Koreans would be another choice of ally for both players, with a common aftermath: whoever enlist them for the cause should be penalised with an important loss of supplies (the North Koreans don't even have enough to eat).
The Russians could also have the option of leaving Chechnya, to pump up their military strength in the Far East. Consequence: increasing chances of Islamic terrorism in the Russian Federation (VPs? Subsequent forced redeployments?)
As you see, I'm very much in favor of Theater Options. As for events, the UN and American reaction to the whole business should be stressed.
Good luck with the scenario.

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Would you have NATO offers Russia membership as an Event of a Theatre Option?