The Battle of Midway 3D

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saw this over on SubSim.com. Should we cheer...or fear?

Warner Bros. to Spend $200 Million on 3-D Epic 'Battle of Midway'

Warner Bros. Pictures is developing a World War II film, Deadline Hollywood reports. According to the site, the studio has bought "The Battle of Midway", a pitch from Bruce C. McKenna who previously wrote the script for some episodes of HBO's "The Pacific".

Moreover, it is said that Warner Bros. has put the upcoming project on a fast track as McKenna is expected to turn in a script within eight weeks. The movie is rumored to carry a price tag of around $200 million and will be made in 3-D, with Akiva Goldsman serving as producer.
Well, there's no mention of Affleck or Cameron, so we might be safe.

Yang

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Let´s see... Jessica Biel will be the love interest in the movie. :D Director Michael Bay assures that the shower scene will bring the 3D technology to a new level viewers haven´t seen before. Nicholas Cage is speculated to take the role of a grizzled war hero, a retired Lt.cmdr with disciplinary and drinking issues which are offset by his World War 1 achievements (top scoring ace with 96 kills among them the Red Baron) as well as being the sole survivor of Little Big Horn. For the role of Admiral Chester W. Nimitz Director Bay has casted critically acclaimed actor David Caruso. Bay is confident that the following excerpt from the script will write movie history:

Spruance: "It´s not looking to good Chester"
Nimitz: "On the contray there is a chance that the japanese fleet is out there"
*puts on sunglasses*
Nimitz: "and we are going to find it. And when we find it we sink it. "
YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question is just how far off track they will go (and they will) to "spice" up the actual battle. I have very little faith in big budget movies staying focused when it comes to historical incidents.

The key words to always look for are; "based on" after that statement anything after the "historical name" goes downhill from there.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question is just how far off track they will go (and they will) to "spice" up the actual battle. I have very little faith in big budget movies staying focused when it comes to historical incidents.

The key words to always look for are; "based on" after that statement anything after the "historical name" goes downhill from there.
The optimist in me says that the real story is so good it doesn't need to be sexed up.

The realist in me cringes in agreement with all of the above...sigh

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm just glad they are getting out of the weeds. I am tired of land battles - well, infantry battles, anyway. There isn't a lot you can do with CGI for an infantry battle. However, a massive naval battle involving aircraft carriers...that is a proper use for CGI! I was hoping for a movie treatment of Leyte Gulf, but this is good, too. Especially considering how mediocre the '70s version of Midway is (I never understood why they remade Tora! Tora! Tora! via the awful Pearl Harbor when the former was an unbeatable classic.) At least with Midway, you can only go up.

Now if we can get someone to make a good remake of Battle of the Bulge! CGI could be used for some awesome tank battles!

Zaraath

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was hoping for a movie treatment of Leyte Gulf, but this is good, too. Especially considering how mediocre the '70s version of Midway is (I never understood why they remade Tora! Tora! Tora! via the awful Pearl Harbor when the former was an unbeatable classic.) At least with Midway, you can only go up.
Midway wasn't that bad. It's going to be way better than any modern remake.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Current movies do whatever it takes to bring in women to what would be considered "guy" movies & visa-versa.

Pearl Harbor simply "injected" a romance into a military incident to drag in the female views. They did the same with Lord of the Rings exploding the Aragon-Arwen romance when it was only really mentioned in the appendixes. The Transformers had plenty of "sexuality" inserted considering the original idea had zero. Recent movies just toss in sex scenes for no reason except to get an R-rating = more viewers.

Facts have no bearing when you're dealing with making money so there will be some "female" element in a Midway movie.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Current movies do whatever it takes to bring in women to what would be considered "guy" movies & visa-versa.

Pearl Harbor simply "injected" a romance into a military incident to drag in the female views. They did the same with Lord of the Rings exploding the Aragon-Arwen romance when it was only really mentioned in the appendixes. The Transformers had plenty of "sexuality" inserted considering the original idea had zero. Recent movies just toss in sex scenes for no reason except to get an R-rating = more viewers.

Facts have no bearing when you're dealing with making money so there will be some "female" element in a Midway movie.
Agree. The other problem is that the script is by the same guy who wrote The Pacific. Personally, I was not overly impressed with The Pacific - too much of the touchy, feely crap for what should have been a war movie. Don't mind the chick flick stuff in small doses, but keep it with the chick flicks.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agree. The other problem is that the script is by the same guy who wrote The Pacific. Personally, I was not overly impressed with The Pacific - too much of the touchy, feely crap for what should have been a war movie. Don't mind the chick flick stuff in small doses, but keep it with the chick flicks.
As a prior Marine, I too was disappointed with Pacific, esp b/c
1-Band of Brothers was so well done
2-the books on which PACIFIC came from ie Helmet for my Pillow and With the Old Breed were really good reads.

Just my .02 cents

Mark De Vries
Ada, MI