The Battle of Manila 1945

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
After all these years and after dozens of discussions on the map set, I still find it interesting how many say "I don't have room for six maps".
You make it sound like I'm lying or something.

I have a big house, with one game-room. One room that is all mine. It's a fair bit bigger than 10 x 10. It's also occupied by a double-recliner, a big-ass big screen TV, speakers, a computer system with an ultra-wide display, bookshelves and other storage, and my gaming table. It's a decent-sized gaming table, but it won't be getting any larger. Probably ever. And I won't be running to the hardware store to haul sheets of plywood on the roof of my 1-yr-old car. Thanks but I'll pass on that 'solution'.

I'm not just SAYING I don't have room. I DON'T have room - at least not in my game room, and that's where I play

When I got the first full color play test map done and set it up, I was living in a 650 sq. ft. 2 bedroom apartment. In the spare bedroom I placed two folding tables and some 1/4" plywood (7.5 ft x 6.5 ft) in size atop the tables. It fit nicely in a room about 10 x 10 in size. Left about an 18" open area all around the table to move. Played a couple nights a week and usually a Saturday or a Sunday for about 6 months to complete the playtest of CG V. Now, if I could set it up in that small apartment, guys living in homes should be able to as well.....but you only need all six maps if you plan on playing CG V.
Uh, yeah, ages ago when we lived in a small 2-bedroom apartment there wasn't room for so much as an empty milk crate in our 'spare' bedroom. I'd say if you can clear out an entire bedroom to devote to a huge make-shift plywood table then you weren't really hurting for space as much as you thought. Guessing you lived alone.

Most guys that have houses also have families that live in those houses with them ya know. Nobody I know has a house full of empty rooms. Just the opposite - everyone grows to fill their available space, and the idea of clearing out an entire room to make room for a friggin' six-map game for 6 months would just be laughable to anyone I know. Even more laughable to their wives. :)

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've considered using a wall with magnetic counters (not a fan of VASL), but haven't been willing to create my own counter set with a magnetic center yet. Would work well, sit back in a recliner (armchair warrior) with a table ither side for the dice tower & charts (beer) and get a little exercise when getting up to make each move. ;-)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've considered using a wall with magnetic counters (not a fan of VASL), but haven't been willing to create my own counter set with a magnetic center yet. Would work well, sit back in a recliner (armchair warrior) with a table ither side for the dice tower & charts (beer) and get a little exercise when getting up to make each move. ;-)
What you need is a VASL projector. Projects any scenario, any size. Let me know how that works for you.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Brad, have you seen the counter-holder magnets created specifically for that? Haven't tried the wall-mounted set-up myself, but I know there are accessories to support it. The counter-magnets allow you to use regular counters, even stacks, as I understand it.

Here's a BGG thread with some information and some pics of people's vertical wargame set-ups.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
What you need is a VASL projector. Projects any scenario, any size. Let me know how that works for you.
If one of you techno geeks doesn't run with this I will lmfao as some other techno nerd does.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I can VASL on my 50" TV, hooked up with the laptop, it makes things much easier to read and might be my solution to the monster map size issue. It sure sounds like we will get a lot of bang for our buck with this no matter, bring it on!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Ok, thanks, I will ask my nerd-colleague then. Let you know if you are interested. Cheers
If you find them, or an equivalent please post here. I am only interested as an observer but some people might really groove on such a device.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Brad, have you seen the counter-holder magnets created specifically for that? Haven't tried the wall-mounted set-up myself, but I know there are accessories to support it. The counter-magnets allow you to use regular counters, even stacks, as I understand it.

Here's a BGG thread with some information and some pics of people's vertical wargame set-ups.

I saw the ones that you slip the counter into, but they covered parts of the counter and never liked them. I've been contemplating the magnetic sheets to paste on the backs but then I'd need two of each counter type if they're double sided, but I really like the ones the guy 3D printed with the two little round magnetics. Those excite me, thanks for drawing my attention to them, Faded! I'm seriously going to print a few sets up and get some of these games on the wall finally, been in thought mode for way to long, the printed style look really good IMO so thanks again. Like you I just can't justify that much floor space but wall space I have lots of. Time to get down to business I think. :)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I saw the ones that you slip the counter into, but they covered parts of the counter and never liked them. I've been contemplating the magnetic sheets to paste on the backs but then I'd need two of each counter type if they're double sided, but I really like the ones the guy 3D printed with the two little round magnetics. Those excite me, thanks for drawing my attention to them, Faded! I'm seriously going to print a few sets up and get some of these games on the wall finally, been in thought mode for way to long, the printed style look really good IMO so thanks again. Like you I just can't justify that much floor space but wall space I have lots of. Time to get down to business I think. :)
Any port in a storm. Don't forget about the ceiling. Very erotic over your bed! The glow in the dark counters are extra special. 😉

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forget the wall projector. Somebody hurry up and invent the holodeck {Star Trek: The Next Generation}.
That way future ASL players can interact with the giants of ASL [McGrath, Pleva, Fortenberry, etc]!

Last edited:

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Faded 8-1 - you obviously took it personally.....not the intent. And you were so wrong on so many points, I felt the need to clarify it all.
You make it sound like I'm lying or something.
No, I did not feel you were lying or something. If you read my words, I said "I find it interesting". If I thought you were lying I would have said "I find it ridiculous", or "I find it absurd", or "I find it preposterous". I just find it interesting, that is all.

I have a big house, with one game-room. One room that is all mine. It's a fair bit bigger than 10 x 10. It's also occupied by a double-recliner, a big-ass big screen TV, speakers, a computer system with an ultra-wide display, bookshelves and other storage, and my gaming table. It's a decent-sized gaming table, but it won't be getting any larger. Probably ever. And I won't be running to the hardware store to haul sheets of plywood on the roof of my 1-yr-old car. Thanks but I'll pass on that 'solution'.
I merely stated what my solution to the problem was. I never said you had to follow suit.

I'm not just SAYING I don't have room. I DON'T have room - at least not in my game room, and that's where I play

Fine...there are a lot of folks who due to space limitations or lack of FTF opponents or whatever cannot set up a huge game map....and that's okay. I had the opportunity to do so and did it.

Uh, yeah, ages ago when we lived in a small 2-bedroom apartment there wasn't room for so much as an empty milk crate in our 'spare' bedroom. I'd say if you can clear out an entire bedroom to devote to a huge make-shift plywood table then you weren't really hurting for space as much as you thought. Guessing you lived alone.

Actually I got married in 1998 (and still am) and the playtest was done in around 2001 or 2002. We had some stuff in that spare bedroom, but I moved it our into storage for the six months I had the maps set up to playtest CG V.

Most guys that have houses also have families that live in those houses with them ya know. Nobody I know has a house full of empty rooms. Just the opposite - everyone grows to fill their available space, and the idea of clearing out an entire room to make room for a friggin' six-map game for 6 months would just be laughable to anyone I know. Even more laughable to their wives. :)

I'm lucky. My wife supports me completely in my hobbies, because she knows I support her in her interests. She loves concerts and travelling. Me, not so much but I take part cuz those are her interests. Back in 2001 I told her up front that the game would be set up for at least six months but it needed to be done, and she was fine with it. In our new house, while waiting to get my game room set up, I had two large CG's for other projects that needed to be done. I had a large game table ( 6 foot by 3 1/2 foot) set up in our living room for almost three years.....only taken down from Thanksgiving til New Years Day each year. My wife was fine with that too because she knew I had to do those playtests for BFP. Now that my game room is set up I can play any CG to my heart's content. Maybe someday you will have the opportunity to do so as well.
Just thought you would like to know the real facts.