The Battle of Manila 1945

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a quick question in regards to drifting smoke. Wouldn't the drifting smoke from the terrain blazes be three hexes as the hindrance DRM of regular smoke (i.e. that from a terrain blaze) is +3 unlike that from a burning wreck (+2 which would only create two hexes of drifting smoke)? With all the burning terrain I would think that would have a major impact on the play of the scenario.
That day we had three games going at once....two Manila and one Peleliu. Actually ran out of smoke counters so we just made note to remember smoke drifts were one hex beyond depicted. Lots of terrain blazes plus two OBA smoke missions will do that.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That day we had three games going at once....two Manila and one Peleliu. Actually ran out of smoke counters so we just made note to remember smoke drifts were one hex beyond depicted. Lots of terrain blazes plus two OBA smoke missions will do that.
Maybe you can use German Opel Blitz truck counters to double as SMOKE counters. There came plenty of them in CdG v2... ;)

von Marwitz

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Is the Peleliu scenario already published or something you are playtesting?

Wicked tough place to fight on, hellish moonscape and amazing the assault survived it, Vic

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Wicked tough place to fight on, hellish moonscape and amazing the assault survived it, Vic
Something in playtesting. Been working on the map for this for a while now. The fighting in the Umurbrogols was definitely nasty, and terrain that I hope to be able to capture in our map.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Indeed. The grandfather in my host-family in the US back in the days had been a Marine who fought there. I think altogether, he had seven landings in the PTO under his belt of which Peleliu might have been the most well known.

He pointed it out to me, but alas, back then, I was not deeply involved into WW2 history yet, so I did not recognize the name and significance of Peleliu. So the chance had passed to ask a witness of the time first hand.

I did have the chance to ask one of my great uncles about the war in Russia. He narrowly escaped near Kalatch when the greater cauldron around Stalingrad closed driving an SPW 50km behind Russian lines to link up with the Germans to the west. He told me a bit but it was obvious that the memories weighed heavily on him and that he had lived through horrible things. He looked deep into my eyes when he said in a grave voice before he fell silent the sentence that I have never forgotten:

"Ich habe das Grauen gesehen..."

(Which translates roughly: "I have lived through horrors.")

After the war, he became a general in the Bundeswehr. I asked him why he joined the post-war German Army after having lived through horrors he could not even bring himself about to relate many decades later. Once more, against the background of his experiences, his answer has deeply impressed me:

"Weil unsere Werte, unsere Freiheit und unsere Demokratie es wert sind, geschützt zu werden."

(Which translates roughly: "Because our values, our freedom, and our democracy are worth to be protected.")

After that conversation, I was determined to become a soldier. As it was, fate had other plans for me and it was not to be due to an operation. The interest in military things has never waned, though.

My great uncle passed away about two years ago.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Photo of map is in the BFP section on the Forums....thread about when Peleliu will get released.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Indeed. The grandfather in my host-family in the US back in the days had been a Marine who fought there. I think altogether, he had seven landings in the PTO under his belt of which Peleliu might have been the most well known.

Alas, back then, I was not deeply involved into WW2 history yet. So the chance had passed to ask witnesses of the time first hand.

I did have the chance to ask one of my great uncles about the war in Russia. He narrowly escaped near Kalatch when the greater cauldron around Stalingrad closed with an SPW driving 50km behind Russian lines to link up with the Germans to the west. He told me a bit but it was obvious that the memories weighed heavy on him and that he had lived through horrible things. He looked deep into my eyes when he said in a grave voice before he fell silent the sentence that I have never forgotten:

After the war, he became a general in the Bundeswehr. I asked him why he joined the post-war German Army after having lived through horrors he could not even bring himself about to relate many decades later. Once more, against the background of his experiences, his answer has deeply impressed me:

"Weil unsere Werte, unsere Freiheit und unsere Demokratie es wert sind, geschützt zu werden."

(Which translates roughly: "Because our values, our freedom, and our democracy are worth to be protected.")

After that conversation, I was determined to become a soldier. As it was, fate had other plans for me and it was not to be due to an operation. The interest in military things has never waned, though.

von Marwitz
Very compelling story. Thanks for sharing it.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting side note.....the painting depicted at the start of Scott's video is called "Manila Would Do" by Keith Rocco. It is what we are trying to get lined up as the box cover art for "Sword and Fire: the Battle of Manila".

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Later this week I may try to post a pic of just one of the six maps....don't know if it is even possible since each map file (six total) is HUGE..........th entire map takes up 644,234 KB of space to give you an idea........

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Later this week I may try to post a pic of just one of the six maps....don't know if it is even possible since each map file (six total) is HUGE..........th entire map takes up 644,234 KB of space to give you an idea........
Reduce the size in a graphic editor and convert to .jpg or .png format. I forget what the file size limitation on the forum is - unless you deep-link it, in which case you can do it any size, but would still be worth doing it as a thumbnail size.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance

He pointed it out to me, but alas, back then, I was not deeply involved into WW2 history yet, so I did not recognize the name and significance of Peleliu. So the chance had passed to ask a witness of the time first hand.

I did have the chance to ask one of my great uncles about the war in Russia. He narrowly escaped near Kalatch when the greater cauldron around Stalingrad closed driving an SPW 50km behind Russian lines to link up with the Germans to the west. He told me a bit but it was obvious that the memories weighed heavily on him and that he had lived through horrible things. He looked deep into my eyes when he said in a grave voice before he fell silent the sentence that I have never forgotten:

von Marwitz
If he had been so appalled by what he saw on the eastern front, surely he would not have rushed to join the Bundeswehr, nicht wahr? Surely young people may find the rationale he put forward relevant, but a WW2 veteran, this is puzzling??

Unless he saw great consistency in fighting the Soviet Union throughout, which would denote a certain state of mind. In other terms, he may have been of the opinion that horrors were only committed by one side.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If he had been so appalled by what he saw on the eastern front, surely he would not have rushed to join the Bundeswehr, nicht wahr? Surely young people may find the rationale he put forward relevant, but a WW2 veteran, this is puzzling??

Unless he saw great consistency in fighting the Soviet Union throughout, which would denote a certain state of mind. In other terms, he may have been of the opinion that horrors were only committed by one side.
I can see many reasons for his great uncle joining besides patriotism and fear of the Soviets. That might have been his best job prospect and path to stability in post war Germany. That he became a General certainly seems to indicate he chose the right career.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

I asked him this very thing. And I have put down his answer in my post that you may have overlooked unintentionally or intentionally. Once more for you:

I asked him why he joined the post-war German Army after having lived through horrors he could not even bring himself about to relate many decades later. Once more, against the background of his experiences, his answer has deeply impressed me:

Almost any man (or younger) within a certain age at the time was drafted into the Wehrmacht and they thus became veterans. Unless you want to insinuate that every German veteran may have been of the opinion that horrors were only committed by one side, then I cannot find anything puzzling about his motives to serve in the Bundeswehr. If you do, though, well - then I can't help you.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've tried a couple of times to share a photo of the Intramuros part of the map.....but even at the lowest resolution on my phone the file is still too large to load to Gamesquad Forums. Sorry. I might try to break it down into two separate photos next time....maybe that will work.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That picture shows that the buildings a quite spread out. Plenty of open ground between them. Makes it interesting terrain to attack in.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
What levels are the buildings with the large white circles and triangles?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So what do the large white squares denote?