Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Corvus ( cor•vus )
noun

1. a raven or crow.

2. a Roman naval device used for boarding enemy ships.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Apothegm ( ap•o•thegm )
noun

a concise saying or maxim, an aphorism.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Apothegm ( ap•o•thegm )
noun

a concise saying or maxim, an aphorism.
Most days The Word has something to do with a thread, post or some aspect of ASL. Apothegm was not inspired by any of these.

The lead in to a Google article stated that Peter Cushing's movie Doctor Who was not canon. I had a general idea of what canon meant but not as used in that context. So I looked up the definition of canon. The secondary definition made sense as used in the Google article.

I was going on take the easy way out and use canon as The Word, liking the interplay with cannon, but decided against it. I haven't put much creative effort into the last couple Words so decided to sailor on and see what turned up. So I looked at the synonyms of canon.

That search turned up maxim. That was promising as I liked the definition as well as the possibility of playing off of the Maxim machine gun. Deciding to continue the research for Professor Talo Captain Bacchus suggested that we check the synonyms for maxim. An excellent idea on the Captain's part so I did.

One of the synonyms for maxim was aphorism. That seemed to have potential but there was another synonym for maxim that caught my eye. That was apothegm.

The definition for apothegm contained maxim and aphorism! Perfect! ( btw what the game said when you successfully completed a level of the video game Intelligent Cube, we liked it ).

So that was the journey to apothegm. Sounds like a great title for a RPG.

We are over the hump at work so I will be able to spend a little more research time on The Word and Altering Songs, maybe even Today in ASL History. The forum waits with the anticipation usually reserved for the release of a new module. 🤣

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Uninspired ( un•in•spired )
adjective

1. lacking in imagination or originality.

2. ( of a person ) not filled with excitement.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Uninspired ( un•in•spired )
adjective

1. lacking in imagination or originality.

2. ( of a person ) not filled with excitement.
I drew two red cards today from the Creativity Draw Pile. I am uninspired.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I drew two red cards today from the Creativity Draw Pile. I am uninspired.
I've always been a fanboy of the Hetzer, and the name meaning translated as "agitator". When I looked up agitator on an online dictionary, I got:
  1. a person who urges others to protest or rebel.
  2. an apparatus for stirring liquid.
So did the designers really mean to name their creation the "teaspoon"?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you're looking for inspiration for "The Word of the Day" pick up and read Rick Atkinson's trilogy of the U.S. fighting in Europe during WW-II (An Army at Dawn, The Day of Battle and The Guns at Last Light). They're excellent books but I needed a thesaurus to get through them (of course being an old gravel agitating, cricket crunching, leg infantryman, anything over two syllables was a stretch for me in the first place).;)

PS. Probably the some of the most entertaining and interesting reads about America's involvement in the European conflict I've read in a long time. HIGHLY recommended.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If you're looking for inspiration for "The Word of the Day" pick up and read Rick Atkinson's trilogy of the U.S. fighting in Europe during WW-II (An Army at Dawn, The Day of Battle and The Guns at Last Light). They're excellent books but I needed a thesaurus to get through them (of course being an old gravel agitating, cricket crunching, leg infantryman, anything over two syllables was a stretch for me in the first place).;)

PS. Probably the some of the most entertaining and interesting reads about America's involvement in the European conflict I've read in a long time. HIGHLY recommended.
Lol I always pay close attention to the recommendations of foot sloggers. I'll try to check them out as I need some good reading material. Last book I tried I only got about a page read. Things have calmed down so I might get some time to read. Thanks for the input and recommendation.🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Refugium ( re•fu•gi•um )
noun Biology

an area where a population of organisms can survive through a period of unfavorable conditions, especially glaciation.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lol I always pay close attention to the recommendations of foot sloggers. I'll try to check them out as I need some good reading material. Last book I tried I only got about a page read. Things have calmed down so I might get some time to read. Thanks for the input and recommendation.🤗
They were so good I read all three volumes in about 6 weeks. They were hard to put down (especially Army at Dawn, though that may have been because of my relatively limited knowledge on that aspect of the war). There is a draw-back in that he stops the review of the war in Italy shortly after the fall of Rome but all in all they are captivating reading. BTW I used to read a lot but at my age now I normally fall asleep after a few pages. These were an exception.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
They were so good I read all three volumes in about 6 weeks. They were hard to put down (especially Army at Dawn, though that may have been because of my relatively limited knowledge on that aspect of the war). There is a draw-back in that he stops the review of the war in Italy shortly after the fall of Rome but all in all they are captivating reading. BTW I used to read a lot but at my age now I normally fall asleep after a few pages. These were an exception.
Between Actiondebbie and the horde of heathen kitties the only time I had to read was when she was at the chiropractors. Since I am working there isn't even that.

In the days of my youth I was told......
to quit reading under the covers with a flashlight. I didn't listen and the vision is not what it was bitd. Lol. Old people.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Transmogrify ( trans•mog•ri•fy )
verb Humorous

transform in a surprising or magical manner.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Between Actiondebbie and the horde of heathen kitties the only time I had to read was when she was at the chiropractors. Since I am working there isn't even that.

In the days of my youth I was told......
to quit reading under the covers with a flashlight. I didn't listen and the vision is not what it was bitd. Lol. Old people.
But then when you heard mom open the door you had to quickly hide the Playboy mag. & turn off the light. BTW I've heard that kind of stuff would make you go blind, so just a little deterioration of your eyesight was a blessing. ;)🤫🆒:LOL::LOL:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Pasquinade ( pas•quin•ade )
noun

a satire or lampoon, originally one displayed or delivered publically in a public place.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Transmogrify ( trans•mog•ri•fy )
verb Humorous

transform in a surprising or magical manner.
You could attempt to convert SK scenarios into ASL scenarios using Calvin's Transmogrifier but the results probably won't be what you expected.

Pip Smith

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Pasquinade
Lesser known alternate usage:

i.e. My 3 squads played pasquinade and were promptly eliminated in CC resolution due to random selection and the resulting fragmentary explosion.