The ASL Light Bulb is Getting Brighter

Capt. Batguano

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It has been stated before that GS is by far superior as a resource compared to rather fleeting Facebook.
Yes and this forum is easier to search for an answer than FB. I find FB, "friendlier", but it's perhaps not the best resource. This forum could cease allowing new posts right now and the depth of knowledge and answered questions would still make it super valuable.

Again, I don't have any experience with FB.
JRV and Klas are the 'killer-apps' of GS. Time and again I have received premium rules support by these two (and many others).
A good opportunity to express my thanks to all the guys here who give rules support on even the most obscure ASL topics and to thank JRV and Klas in particular.
Ditto. Lots of knowledgeable players here but those two are machines.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
I think this is a great forum. Anywhere you turn there will be some folks with their own negative views, but by and large this is a great group and I am thankful for it!

I also think there is a real opportunity for a resurgence of ASL. I am 34 and have a number of friends that are interested in and are learning the rules. These are folks who have played eurogames, D&D, etc. and who would like something with some meat to it, no rule ambiguity, and depth to really invest in and enjoy. They also all have an interest in history, of course, but I think one great thing about ASL is that you can enjoy history, or games, or both and it's attractive to you.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Von Marwitz- agreed. The ability to cross reference, the quality of the index, and relatively few loopholes make ASL rules so different than some far simpler systems.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The ability to cross reference, the quality of the index, and relatively few loopholes make ASL rules so different than some far simpler systems.
Maybe one could say that ASL is able to provide at least ambiguity where many other games have the rules go simply blank providing no solution at all because some possible situations have not occured to the rules writers.

In that context, of course, ASL (with SL as its predecessor) has a vast advantage of being a long time in existence and being supported and played by assorted "Lord Nerds General".

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Von Marwitz- agreed. The ability to cross reference, the quality of the index, and relatively few loopholes make ASL rules so different than some far simpler systems.
I agree that the errata/volume of rules ratio is quite low in ASL, compared with many games.
And I regularily note how those who wrote the rules mastered most of the interactions.
Quite amazing and beyond my own capacities.
But of course, there are points which need errata or clarifications: if there were no problems to solve, life would be boring.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I also think there is a real opportunity for a resurgence of ASL. I am 34 and have a number of friends that are interested in and are learning the rules.
Don't tell me that there are intelligent players under 50 y. o.! :study::cool:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dunno, the FB page I am on seems full of nazis, they are talking about how much nazi gear they have on display in their homes. The only nazi gear I have are battle school dice which I put in a baggie and up in my closet. Even though I tend to jerk peoples chain about SS counters and so on, I really could never have that garbage in my house. Too weird and probably most of them are trump supporters anyway since trump is a nazi too.

Yes and this forum is easier to search for an answer than FB. I find FB, "friendlier", but it's perhaps not the best resource. This forum could cease allowing new posts right now and the depth of knowledge and answered questions would still make it super valuable.

Ditto. Lots of knowledgeable players here but those two are machines.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I dunno, the FB page I am on seems full of nazis, they are talking about how much nazi gear they have on display in their homes. The only nazi gear I have are battle school dice which I put in a baggie and up in my closet. Even though I tend to jerk peoples chain about SS counters and so on, I really could never have that garbage in my house. Too weird and probably most of them are trump supporters anyway since trump is a nazi too.
Which ASL FB page is that Scott? There are more than enough pages out there that are thinly veiled glorifications of things SS/Nazi, but I have not run into an ASL FB page that does that? Of course, I'm sure there are nooks and crannies in FB that I have not explored.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
As Scott was banned from the main FB group, he is perhaps alluding to the moderation politics that he finds too harsh?
I however can testify that all went well for him on the "ASL players" group.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
To be fair to Scott there are fairly frequent threads back slapping Nazis ("for their combat performance and not their political ideologies obviously").

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I am on the main FB ASL page where someone posted a German helmet with a stencil of the Totenkopf guy as art work. Then other people chimed in on how much nazi gear they had in their mancaves, kinda scary stuff actually.

As Scott was banned from the main FB group, he is perhaps alluding to the moderation politics that he finds too harsh?
I however can testify that all went well for him on the "ASL players" group.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I guess I am on the main FB ASL page where someone posted a German helmet with a stencil of the Totenkopf guy as art work. Then other people chimed in on how much nazi gear they had in their mancaves, kinda scary stuff actually.
On the ASL players group, the rule is that no publication not directly related to the game is allowed - there are WW2 pictures and models groups for such publications.
So there haven't been such problems and the threads are focused on the game.
And of course, negationist views are not allowed either - as they are considered a crime in most European countries.
I should write in the past, as I left FB now, but I am quite confident that the admins of the page will keep with that rule.