The ASL Book Club

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am currently reading 'Resistance' (the underground war against Hitler 1939-1945) by Halik Kochanski.

This is perhaps the most informative, enlightening and best researched book which I have ever read on such a broad topic related to the Second World War. It is so much more than a mere chronology of resistance activities and incidents. The book also addresses so many important factors of resistance beyond the usual armed partisan/maquis units etc., formations which most history buffs are typically familiar with. I was especially fascinated by the chapters detailing the various forms of unarmed and non-violent resistance to the nazis such as the underground presses in the occupied countries, work slowdowns, assistance to downed aviators and the response to the 'Sauckel effect' (forced labor/deportations). The holocaust is addressed of course, including the very illuminating responses to this crime by the Christian and Jewish communities of Europe.

This book addresses in great detail the various resistance movements and organizations in all of the occupied countries, including a fascinating series of chapters about the creation and activities of the SOE and OSS. One of my personal favorite excerpts in this book was the portion detailing the SOE operations against the German 'heavy water' plant in Norway, including an interesting explanation of the Nazi 'atomic bomb program'.
Far from being a mere compilation of events and personalities, the author has done an excellent job of explaining how many of the activities of the resistance organizations and the decisions of their leaders had a profound impact on the post-war statuses of their countries.

Highly recommended, easily the finest book related to the Second World War which I have read in years.