The ASL Book Club

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm currently reading Beevor's "Arnhem: 1944", which like all of his is an easy, fast read. Nijmegen has just been taken, the paras at Arnhem bridge have been defeated, but I'm hopeful that maybe this time they'll do it...

Seriously, the only way to fix that plan was to cancel it. Or maybe just make the Nijmegen bridge a priority over the Groesbeek heights. Interesting to note that going straight up the road that became known as "Hell's Highway" was an option that got you failed on pre-war Dutch staff officer courses.
Looks interesting, but I'm trying to figure out the difference between this:

https://www.amazon.com/Arnhem-Battle-Bridges-Perfect-Fathers/dp/0670918660/ref=pd_sbs_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0670918660&pd_rd_r=ac609c7e-a231-11e8-ab43-b9b76271e88c&pd_rd_w=y7u9w&pd_rd_wg=jN0xX&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ebf3f80b-3878-4fb9-8381-bbec92f92693&pf_rd_r=6HWC1SGR718TVGRH1TWN&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6HWC1SGR718TVGRH1TWN

and this:

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Arnhem-Deadliest-Airborne-Operation/dp/0525429824/ref=pd_sim_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0525429824&pd_rd_r=cfa6c3a0-a231-11e8-8a11-3342f9a62d4f&pd_rd_w=qA9ol&pd_rd_wg=qfiwH&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=a180fdfb-b54e-4904-85ba-d852197d6c09&pf_rd_r=3R924NPN1KPX8PBW2V4F&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=3R924NPN1KPX8PBW2V4F

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About $9. ;)
Got that. :captainobvious:

I know there are sometimes UK versions and US versions of the same book, not sure it that is the case here. Will watch for the one due out in Sept. to see if it is a worthwhile purchase.

Also recently saw this one, due out (at least here in the US) around the same time. A likely purchase as well. So many books, so little time....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1612006892/?coliid=I2QS6VEDLCPNOB&colid=21UVUHJUZLC02&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland

I know there are sometimes UK versions and US versions of the same book, not sure it that is the case here. Will watch for the one due out in Sept. to see if it is a worthwhile purchase.

Also recently saw this one, due out (at least here in the US) around the same time. A likely purchase as well. So many books, so little time....
It's hard to imagine it being a different version - which is what my comment meant.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's hard to imagine it being a different version - which is what my comment meant.
It's odd that the same publisher in the same year would release two books by the same author on the same topic. They have different ISBNs as well. I only plan to buy one, but would like to know what the differences are before I decide.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's odd that the same publisher in the same year would release two books by the same author on the same topic. They have different ISBNs as well. I only plan to buy one, but would like to know what the differences are before I decide.
not odd at all, if you look at Ray Tapio and Critical Hit's business model.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently read, MACARTHUR AT WAR: World War II in the Pacific by Walter R. Borneman, Little Brown & Company, 2016. Quite well researched and written. One of the few MacArthur books that does not either overtly laud his actions without delving into his failings, or does not dwell on his failings to the exclusion of his positive attributes. It's probably one of the best looks into the puzzling lack of alacrity on 7/8Dec 41 displayed by his headquarters and adds some really interesting tidbits of information that many have simply overlooked, but when studding his reaction to events may well explain this basis of action/inaction. Also the book gets into some minor study of his primary subordinates, most importantly Sutherland and Kenney, as well as dealing with the Australians and other allied nations. The bibliography is truly prodigious and the work well footnoted. There may be little here for direct application to ASL as a resource, but is a very good background source for his area of operations, listing as it does either in the text or by footnotes, units involved or other sources. Well worth the read, looking forward to picking up his other relatively recent release, THE ADMIRALS.

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1612006892/?coliid=I2QS6VEDLCPNOB&colid=21UVUHJUZLC02&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
That's one there's very little info on. Thanks for the heads up its on the wish list.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Currently reading John Erickson's "The road to Stalingrad'.

Book could do with some maps...

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been on a bit of an early 19th century Royal Navy tear lately after I picked up a copy of 'Frozen in Time ' by Owen Beattie and John Geiger during a recent trip to British Columbia. 'Frozen ' is an account of the disastrous Franklin expedition to find the Northwest Passage and the subsequent forensic archaeology to determine the fate of the ships and their crews. Very compelling, I was literally reading the book in every spare moment.

I'm now nearly finished with 'Nelson's Trafalgar' by Roy Adkins. Although certainly written from a British perspective, it is a fascinating account of the battle and life on a ship of the line. I was motivated to watch 'Master and Commander ' last night, and I'm considering reading a few of the other Patrick O'Brian novels.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This book isn't about ASL or any war covered by it.. The Blood Throne Of Caria.. by Roy Casagranda.. but it written by a great ASL player, so give a bro a look at Bloodthronecaria.com. It's an ancient history novel of the times of the Persian invasion of Greece, great research. If you order get the swag bag option signed copy.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone read this?

Opinions?

KRL, jon H
As I've not read this particular book, please give my opinion all the consideration that it merits.

I find Glantz tough sledding. His work is always impeccably researched, but his books tend to very dry operational histories. These books just don't capture my imagination at all and there is nothing inspired about his prose. For me, just a bone dry recounting of facts (though, again, I believe that his research is of the highest quality).

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I realize that I haven't posted here in quite some time. Well, a lot of books have gone down range during this time. I won't look too far back, but mention a couple of my most recent, as I get inspired to learn GMT's Downtown. First, kind of a pair, Thud Ridge and When Thunder Rolled. Both are held in very high regard, and I will add my voice to the chorus; the reputation of these books is very well-deserved. If you want to see Rolling Thunder through the eyes of the USAF pilots who flew the missions, neither of these books will disappoint. I think that I may have enjoyed When Thunder Rolled (WTR) a bit more, though these books are very different in the focus and writing (so a bit of apples and oranges here). Though these books cover the same period, WTR is written by a new Lt. getting his 100 missions, and is more of a personal memoir. Thud Ridge was written by a Colonel who flew with a voice recorder in the cockpit, and the emphasis is more a series of very detailed recounting of several missions. Both books are wonderful and they complement each other well.

Finally, in the same vein, I read On Yankee Station. This book is a fine starting point for the naval airwar over Vietnam, but if you already have some familiarity with the organization and tactics employed and the threats faced, this one won't have much new for you. To get a little more info on the naval airwar, I have Launch the Intruders cued up (right after I finish Toll's wonderful Six Frigates).

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I realize that I haven't posted here in quite some time. Well, a lot of books have gone down range during this time. I won't look too far back, but mention a couple of my most recent, as I get inspired to learn GMT's Downtown. First, kind of a pair Thud Ridge and When Thunder Rolled. Both are held in very high regard, and I will add my voice to the chorus; the reputation of these books is very well-deserved. If you want to see Rolling Thunder through the eyes of the USAF pilots who flew the missions, neither of these books will disappoint. I think that I may have enjoyed When Thunder Rolled (WTR) a bit more, but as the books are very different in the focus and writing. Though they cover the same period, WTR is written by a new Lt. getting his 100 missions, so is more of a personal memoir. Thud Ridge was written by a Colonel who flew with a voice recorder in the cockpit, and the emphasis is more a series of very detailed recounting of several missions. Both books are wonderful and they complement each other well.

Finally, in the same vein, I read On Yankee Station. This book is a fine starting point for the naval airwar over Vietnam, but if you already have some familiarity with the organization and tactics employed and the threats faced, this one won't have much new for you. To get a little more info on the naval airwar, I have Launch the Intruders cued up (right after I finish Toll's wonderful Six Frigates).
The overall definitive work on North Vietnam's Air War is :

1541969331569.png

Well worth the read, and highly recommended by Lee Brincombe-Wood himself as well.

Although your 3 above also are good starting points for learning about this portion of the Vietnam conflict. You'll also find:

1541969437691.png

to be an excellent accounting on how Linebacker II changed the focus of that air war from the early days of Rolling Thunder and Operation BOLO.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I've not read this particular book, please give my opinion all the consideration that it merits.

I find Glantz tough sledding. His work is always impeccably researched, but his books tend to very dry operational histories. These books just don't capture my imagination at all and there is nothing inspired about his prose. For me, just a bone dry recounting of facts (though, again, I believe that his research is of the highest quality).
Col Glantz has gotten much worse at this over time. Typically, I find his earlier works ( 2005 and previous) to be both readable, easily digested, and still chock full of factual information. Only since the period when his work was being criticized for taking a negative slant towards the existing primary sources already well known and documented, has he changed his writing form and style to one of presenting just one solid fact after another, without any real analysis of how he views those facts to have impacted the history of events. Try reading:

1541969670799.png

or similar era works and you will get a better feel for Glantz as a historian.

As for the work I asked, it borders on the period when he switched writing styles and I have not yet seen a copy of it - but was wondering if perhaps anyone knew for certain if it fell into the former writing style or the latter from Glantz.

Regards Jon