The ASL Book Club

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just picked up this book yesterday. Read the 1st Ed., will be interested to see how this version compares. Truman made the right decision.
Got my copy just the other week through the US Naval Institute Holiday Sale - they were practically giving it away! I've never read much on the planning for the invasion, so I'm really looking forward to getting into this one. (BTW, great to see you here, Paul.)

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got my copy just the other week through the US Naval Institute Holiday Sale - they were practically giving it away! I've never read much on the planning for the invasion, so I'm really looking forward to getting into this one. (BTW, great to see you here, Paul.)
I'm currently reading James Hornfischer's 'The Fleet at Flood Tide' which details the sea, land, and air campaign against the Marianas and how the experience of this campaign led to the eventual decision to use atomic weapons against the empire of Japan. A fascinating book which I highly recommend. So far I've read of several actions on Saipan which would make for excellent ASL scenario subjects. Amtanks repelling a Japanese armored counter attack against the beachhead being one example.

And yes, Truman made the right decision.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got my copy just the other week through the US Naval Institute Holiday Sale - they were practically giving it away)
I left my copy of the naval institute holiday book catalog lying around opened with circled selections, in the common areas of the house. Not holding my breath that anyone will take the hint this year either.
:(

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm currently reading James Hornfischer's 'The Fleet at Flood Tide' which details the sea, land, and air campaign against the Marianas and how the experience of this campaign led to the eventual decision to use atomic weapons against the empire of Japan. A fascinating book which I highly recommend.
I read his "Neptune's Inferno" when it came out a few years back and really enjoyed it. For the grand naval overview of the entire Pacific war, I am planning to read Toll's trilogy at some point in the not too distant future ( "Pacific Crucible," "The Conquering Tide," and the yet to be published third volume).

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dave,
I don't post a lot, but am on the site daily. Much to my wife's chagrin, I've picked up several new reading recommendations over the years, which just adds more books to my library.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dave,
I don't post a lot, but am on the site daily. Much to my wife's chagrin, I've picked up several new reading recommendations over the years, which just adds more books to my library.
My wife is losing her sense of humor about the growing pile next to the bed. Somehow I acquire books MUCH more rapidly than I can get them read...

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Read Thomas B. Allen & Norman Polmar's, Code-Name Downfall, a while back and can't recommend it strongly enough. Not only did they go into the impact of the Doolittle raid and the extended bombing campaign against Japan, but delved into the aborted coup against the Emperor, and prevailing attitudes of the antagonists brought about by the nature of the Pacific struggle. What I found intriguing was the dichotomy of attitude by the Japanese whereas on one hand they had very little compassion for non-Japanese peoples, nor even their own population when it came to the prosecution of the war, but the seemingly revolt at the thought the U.S. would use a weapon(s) of such destruction on their homeland to end such a war. What they would have thought in 1946 when MacArthur was envisioning using one bomb each week on the approach to Tokyo is quite interesting to say the least. Two things that it left me with is first: I wouldn't have wanted to be one of the paratroopers dropped deep behind the Japanese lines to secure the airfields; and secondly the use of the two bombs probably saved the Japanese as a viable modern nation if not the outright existence of the Japanese culture and people as they exist today.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I am reading 'Kampfgruppe Walther and Panzerbrigade 107' by Jack Didden and Maarten Swarts. The same guys that wrote 'Autumn Gale'.

Awesome book on these German units before, during and after Market-Garden, and the role they played during the Overloon battle.

Many great details about the units involved, both German and Allied, and packed with lots of great pictures. Many seen for the first time.

The book also mentions that work is in progress on a book covering the German 15. Armee in The Netherlands during 1944.

And if you do not own 'Autumn Gale' yet, the publisher has just announced that a limited reprint is seriously considered if enough orders get in.

So, visit their website for details. You can still find 'Autumn Gale' on the internet, but it will set you back € 400,00+...
Finished reading this book and can highly recommend it. Lots of details about the units involved, the authors have been doing an enormous amount of research and crosschecking on this.

The actions of the units along Hell's Highway describe quite well how the Germans used their units, with almost impunity from air attack(!), to cut the XXX Corps lifeline.

The part about the Overloon battle is really good and detailed. An often overlooked, but bloody battle. Interesting to see that the US 7th Armored more or less expected that this would be a piece of cake. It wasn't... The British next used 3rd Infantry and 11nd Armour to push the Germans back. But they had a hard time too. At times, the battlefield resembled WWI all over again. Rain and mud hampered quick manoeuvering. Turned out that the British used an effective combination of combined arms (infantry/armor/artillery) to dislodge the defenders.

The included maps really help to put the text about the battles into perspective.

The combination of an overall situational overview and 'on the ground' descriptions of the battles make this book well worth reading.

Are there any ASL scenarios covering this battlefield? After reading the book, I am convinced there is some 'meat' in there to design some cool scenarios.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Read Thomas B. Allen & Norman Polmar's, Code-Name Downfall, a while back and can't recommend it strongly enough. Not only did they go into the impact of the Doolittle raid and the extended bombing campaign against Japan, but delved into the aborted coup against the Emperor, and prevailing attitudes of the antagonists brought about by the nature of the Pacific struggle. What I found intriguing was the dichotomy of attitude by the Japanese whereas on one hand they had very little compassion for non-Japanese peoples, nor even their own population when it came to the prosecution of the war, but the seemingly revolt at the thought the U.S. would use a weapon(s) of such destruction on their homeland to end such a war. What they would have thought in 1946 when MacArthur was envisioning using one bomb each week on the approach to Tokyo is quite interesting to say the least. Two things that it left me with is first: I wouldn't have wanted to be one of the paratroopers dropped deep behind the Japanese lines to secure the airfields; and secondly the use of the two bombs probably saved the Japanese as a viable modern nation if not the outright existence of the Japanese culture and people as they exist today.
Sounds good, especially that looks over the whole war more.

Have you read Frank's Downfall?
Very good - its a strong rebuttal against doubts about using the bombs. The striking thing from that book to me was the level of denial behavior on both sides. For the Americans the prospect of what invasion would mean, for the Japanese leadership that they had any hope of dictating terms of surrender/absorbing how bad things were getting from all the bombing. He gets into how totally mobilized the Japanese population would have been.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds good, especially that looks over the whole war more.

Have you read Frank's Downfall?
Very good - its a strong rebuttal against doubts about using the bombs. The striking thing from that book to me was the level of denial behavior on both sides. For the Americans the prospect of what invasion would mean, for the Japanese leadership that they had any hope of dictating terms of surrender/absorbing how bad things were getting from all the bombing. He gets into how totally mobilized the Japanese population would have been.
No haven't so far, but heard good things about it and saw an author review on CSPAN a while back. There was certainly no ambiguity on the decision from my family's POV. My one uncle (Mom's Brother) spent 3+ years as a POW of the Japanese, my Dad spent 3+ years in the South Pacific, & Philippines fighting the Japanese and my other uncle (his youngest brother) was completing training and shipping out to the Pacific just as Okinawa was ending. My Dad's older brother was in Burma with the 1057th Composite and a couple of my other uncles were Marines that had gone through the Central Pacific campaigns as well as one in the Navy that had gotten blown off the USS Intrepid three times by Kamikaze hits, twice during the Okinawa campaign.

It's really inconceivable to me to even entertain the idea that after spending that portion of our GNP on developing the weapon, the prospect of exorbitant human sacrifice that was expected for the forthcoming campaign, and the past experiences in dealing with Japanese intransigence both from a political and tactical aspect, that we or they would have somehow suddenly turned Mr. Nice Guy and expected that its use was not to be implemented or necessary.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I read his "Neptune's Inferno" when it came out a few years back and really enjoyed it. For the grand naval overview of the entire Pacific war, I am planning to read Toll's trilogy at some point in the not too distant future ( "Pacific Crucible," "The Conquering Tide," and the yet to be published third volume).
I've read the first two volumes of this trilogy and have found them to be an excellent overview of the Pacific War. I sent an email to the author stating this and he mentioned that the third book is scheduled to come out in 2018.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

'

an excellent series, with quite a bit of ASL scenario related materials inside, if one is seeking some design ideas for scenarios. I found it amazing that 24-31 august were so fluid in the area myself, To all intents and purposes, it was quite a close run thing to pull t he panzers and send them off with Guderian. A more solid overall command under Timoshenko for the counterattacks, and it is quite likely Bock would have lost the entire Ninth Army before Guderian and Hoth could have closed the double pincers around Kiev to the south.

Stymieing Bock's drive on Moscow with AG Center with a shocking loss of an entire army would have shaken Hitler and his cronies, as their approach seems to have been one that securing the flanks was necessary for Typhoon to succeed. Losing the assault support for Typhoon would have ended it before it began, rather than in December, just 84 km from Moscow, with Zhukov's Reserve Front counteroffensive.

KRL, Jon H

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Two books on the Korean War

This Kind of War from Fehrenbach: an account from the Korean War mixing the author's musings over the general course of the war and vivid descriptions of small unit actions in some key battles. The latter are well-written and pleasant to read but clearly dated and with its dose of prejudice. It is short of good maps as well. I may compare it to Paul Carell's books on WW2.

The Korean War, A History
from Cumings: a essay-like book that makes a serious attempt to explain the background of the Korean War. Light on military actions, it provides a disturbing accounts of all atrocities committed by both sides, north and south alike. It also provides a good analysis of why the Korean War became a forgotten one, although its importance to understand the cold war cannot be underestimated. A very good read, fully complementary with the previous book.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought that I would give my impressions of a couple of books that I've recently read and that are ASL-relevant. The first book is Col. A. Goutard's ''The Battle of France, 1940.'' This book is a wonderful operational summary of the campaign, from the French perspective (though the account is exceptionally terse after the evacuation of the BEF from Dunkirk, as the outcome was a foregone conclusion at that point). Much more valuable than the description of events, though, is the author's explanations and opinions. His chief thesis is that the French doctrine was completely incapable of dealing with a war of maneuver (i.e., the seeds of the French defeat in 1940 were sown with their victory in WW I - having been victorious in WW I, the French failed to innovate during the inter-war years, rather they perfected the techniques that worked in the previous war). As an example, after the German breakthrough in the Ardennes, the author quotes from orders issued from the French command which stressed the importance of re-establishing a continuous line (of containing the breakthrough) more than emphasizing the imperative of counter-attacking. The author demonstrates fairly convincingly that aggressive armored counter-attacks into the flanks of the penetration may have changed the entire outcome of the campaign (as the German command feared just this possibility), while simultaneously admitting that such counter-attacks were never really possible. That is, through French training and doctrine, tanks were dispersed, and the French army seemed incapable of rapid action. In fact, it is not clear that those in command of the army initially perceived any necessity of rapid action. First, given the French doctrine of deliberate attack with heavy artillery support, they didn't believe that the German thrust was a major attack (as it was not preceded by such a period of concentration of siege weapons). Second, there seemed to be a belief among the French command that the German advance would halt while gains were consolidated and heavy assets were moved forward. All in all, the book is wonderfully written, makes a pretty compelling argument, and is a delightful read (though one finds oneself infuriated by the French paralysis and lethargy as one reads) - I can't recommend it too highly.

The second book is the anonymously published ``Infantry Officer.'' I had high hopes for this one, as it is the recollections of the campaign of the BEF in Flanders during 1940 from a platoon commander only two months out of Sandhurst (as I was once a young platoon commander fresh out of Quantico I was eager to read this book). Though not a bad book, this one doesn't give any insights into British preparations during the ''phoney war'' and the prosecution of the campaign that aren't infinitely better written about in ``Sword of Bone'' (or even ''My First War''). As "Infantry Officer'' takes a little effort to seek out, one's time is better spent reading one of these other two (much better written) books.

Last edited:

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished "Stonne 1940" by Eric Denis. The book suffers from awkward translation, some incorrect photo captions (e.g., one caption hadn't been translated, and one is obviously incorrect for the photo), a lack of maps, and a decidedly pro-French bias. This being said, the book does a nice job of sketching the situation prior to the outbreak of the battle, and gives the most detailed account of the battle that I know of in English. Additionally, the book has a wealth of photographs, few of which I've seen anywhere else. All in all, this is a brief but enjoyable read, and may be unequaled in its detailed descriptions outside of French language books. It has me itching to race out and buy the Critical Hit offering on Stonne.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
"Island of Fire" the detail history of the Soviet re-conquest of Stalingrad (Dec-Jan).
Could be another CG, but with the Soviets the aggressor and the Germans in defense.