The ASL Book Club

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok...I need a new book to read and I got my semi-regular email from Amazon with their suggestions:

Anybody have any thoughts on any of these?

Through the Maelstrom: A Red Army Soldier's War on the Eastern Front, 1942-1945
Boris Gorbachevsky

The Forgotten Soldier
Guy Sajer

800 Days on the Eastern Front: A Russian Soldier Remembers World War II
Nikolai Litvin, Stuart Britton

In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front
Gottlob Herbert Bidermann, Derek S. Zumbro

From Stalingrad to Pillau: A Red Army Artillery Officer Remembers the Great Patriotic War
Isaak Kobylyanskiy, Stuart Britton

Panzer Operations: Germany's Panzer Group 3 During the Invasion of Russia, 1941
Hermann Hoth

Red Road From Stalingrad: Recollections Of A Soviet Infantryman
Mansur Abdulin, Artem Drabkin, Denis Fedosov

Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army from Kursk to Berlin: Volume 1: January 1943-June 1944
Igor Nebolsin, Stuart Britton
With the exception of The Forgotten Soldier, I haven't read any of these yet. I have heard that Stuart Britton does an excellent job of interpreting the Russian histories. I have enjoyed without exception all of the recent post-cold war Russian history books ive had the time to read. I hope my speculation helps with your decision!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
new acquisitions for me:

The Longest Night Military History of the U.S. Civil War- Eric Foner

Tug - of - War - The Allied Victory that opened Antwerp - Whitaker and Whitaker

Panzer Aces III - Franz Kurkowski

Bitter Victory - Carlo D' Este

and my copy of Death of the Leaping Horsemen finally arrived!!! :D

KRL, Jon H

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent book, one of my all time favourites.
Guy Sajer is an outstanding writer - his work, however, is suspect to fall within similar realms as Tiekke's work on Berlin. (Likely served in action ,likely involved in some way in the major battles being covered, unlikely that he was directly participating in the actions being described.) It is not to say that Sajer is in the same ball park of fiction as Paul Carrell, not by any means. But it is highly likely that more than a bit of either embellishment or targeted forgetfulness was applied in his his work - given the supporting ( or in many cases non - supportive) sources that cover the same actions Sajer is describing.

Forgotten Soldier is an excellent read, but not an excellent historical reference. In that, it resembles many other works by other authors.

KRL, jon H

ActionBurk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just wrapping up " Through the Maelstrom ." Not a bad read though more of a behind the lines look. Still very informative. Have " Ivan's War " coming next week.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, I'm not just bumping this thread because I FINALLY started reading 'Demolishing The Myth'.... I've just missed hearing about the books all of you have been reading.

Thanks/Cheers! ;)

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So...
What are the books which you have read or which books would you recommend to the members of the ASL community? I'm not referring to the ASLRB or Journals /Annuals per se, rather the books which may have motivated you to learn more about WWII history or even inspired you to design a scenario. I only raise the subject because on more than one occasion within this forum I have heard references to some very interesting titles. 'Demolishing The Myth' by V. Zamulin comes to mind.

My interest in reading more about this conflict began at an early age with the old Ballentines History of The Violent Century series back in the early 70's. Their $1 price tag was well within the range of my 7th grade allowance. Since then a few of my favorites which should appeal to the ASL community:

Where The Iron Crosses Grow, by Robert Forczyk
Pegasus Bridge, by Stephen Ambrose
And just about everything in Osprey's campaign series

I can't wait to hear about the titles I left out!
Saw your post on "Where The Iron Crosses Grow" over on Maxim Gorki thread also - getting into reading this book pushed me over edge to buy the module. Not claiming to have read anywhere near what this community has, and not ASL related, but up to now best military history I've read in last 5 years was Shattered Sword. WTICG for me may be the land version of that. Got the Osprey "short picture book" with the maps and 3D diagrams to go with by the same author. There's a mine of interesting material to cover in the Crimean campaign - wish BF would do a whole big module treatment of it, beyond what LFT has done already. What's interesting to me is a vague comparison can be made with Guadalcanal campaign - both sides working with limited resources, air-sea-land campaign as well. Want to see if I can find some good maps to put up to look at while I read, see if US Army has a study of campaign or maybe the Marines. Now living pretty close to both Carlisle and to Quantico relatively speaking.

Also reading Rick Atkinson's Guns at Last Light - hope he does a Pacific version of his European trilogy. Interested to know what the community thinks in general of his trilogy - as good as the general critical praise they've gotten?

For WW1 I'd recommend the Hew Strachan short volume over Keegan - he takes in the whole world, what's also nice is that the BBC4 series based on it was re-released for the 100 year anniversary, think its same as original not sure. For a DVD set there's a lot said and covered well and with subtlety and detail.
http://www.amazon.com/First-World-War-Woodrow-Wilson/dp/B00IS6WPT2/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1440975914&sr=1-2&keywords=world+war+1

Last edited:

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Am going thru my copy of Scorched Earth by Carell for some short scenarios I had bookmarked as solo play ones (the one where Russians capture the Romanian bunker on the beach outside Stanichka and shoot up a German counterattack will make a good short play scenario I think.)

Finished Kortenhaus' book on combat history of 21st Panzer Division 1944-45--excellent book even though dealing more with operational level but the Normandy fighting and the fighting around Hatten and Rittershoffen are scenario fodder for sure.

Not a book but a great tv series I have been watching is called Shootouts!--anatomy of firefights from several wars,mostly WW2 and modern-era. The WW2 ones are ready made scenarios for ASL!

Last edited:

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Also reading Rick Atkinson's Guns at Last Light - hope he does a Pacific version of his European trilogy. Interested to know what the community thinks in general of his trilogy - as good as the general critical praise they've gotten?

I'm reading the third one as well. I've enjoyed the first two and had the opportunity to meet him in person. He signed all three books. I would like to see him do the PTO as well.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Does anyone know where I can get a German copy of Guderian's "Achtung Panzer!"? English versions are all over the place, but I don't feel like reading a foreign translation of a book that was written in my mother tongue.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Tried to find one, but this seems to be really hard...

Is the book banned in Germany?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Latest acquisition this last week, got it for less than half the Amazon price.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone know where I can get a German copy of Guderian's "Achtung Panzer!"? English versions are all over the place, but I don't feel like reading a foreign translation of a book that was written in my mother tongue.
What's the matter, you don't want to read Liddel Hart's self-serving insertion into the English edition that he created the armor/armour/panzer division and the blitzkrieg?!

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Right now reading Collision of Empires: War on the Eastern Front 1914
Good detail about the comparative development of tactical systems in the German and Russian armies on the way to war.

After this, it's The Russian Army in the Great War by David Stone

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been considering buying 'Finland at War: The Winter War 1939-40' by Vesa Nenye. Apparently this is the first of a trilogy which will include volumes on the continuation war and the Lapland war.
Just wondering if anyone here has read this one yet and what was their opinion? The books sound promising as their author is a veteran of the Finnish army.

samwat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just read Edward Longacre, War in the Ruins, an account of the US 100th Infantry Division from the Vosges through southern Germany. Has three chapters and a lot of detail on the assault on Heilbronn, 4-12 April 1945. River crossing directly into warehouses and factories, Amis unable to get AFVs across for several days, Jerries with 88s, 105s, Nebels, and other arty and mortars on hills overlooking the city and crossings from the east. Ultimately six of nine of the division's rifle battalions were engaged, vs. a mix of Hitler Youth, SS (apparently 17th PG), Volksturm, and Wehrmacht. Lots of PF and bazooka firing against other infantry in the account.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those who want to get a good grasp of why Adolf's eastern adventure was ridiculously overambitious try "Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1941-1942: Schwerpunkt" by Robert Forczyk. While a 'big picture' work, it goes into some detail about the structural weakness of both sides with enough battle detail to illustrate his points and to satisfy the ASLer.
Part II just came out - Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1943-1945: Red Steamroller
https://www.amazon.com/Tank-Warfare-Eastern-Front-1943-1945/dp/1783462787/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1469495607&sr=1-1&keywords=robert+forczyk

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The inspiration for me to design my first ASL scenario came from _Company Commander_ by Charles MacDonald. I much later tracked down an extended AAR by Captain Stevens, his predecessor commander of Company G, and so Takin' Eibertingen was born....

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"I have been considering buying 'Finland at War: The Winter War 1939-40' by Vesa Nenye. Apparently this is the first of a trilogy which will include volumes on the continuation war and the Lapland war.
Just wondering if anyone here has read this one yet and what was their opinion? The books sound promising as their author is a veteran of the Finnish army."--Yuri 0352
I have it, read it and enjoyed it. There is also the next book out on the Continuation War. Both are loaded with maps but way too many pics and not enough detailed text dealing with the battles to my liking. Good, but not great.
On the opposite end: "Hitler's Nordic Ally" and "Finland's War of Choice" are also good but disappointed me in having enough useful material for ASL scenario design.
Researching Finland in English is time consuming--you look for bits and pieces of detail and when you find them they often conflict with the other source!
But, in the end, for me--ALL books are valuable and worth buying. For my wife ALL books are a waste of my money. :D