The Art of the Umpire

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was curious to hear from people who umpire a CPX or an MBX.
  • What issues did you have to deal with?
  • What took the most time?
  • What ideas helped you run a successful game?
  • What tools were the most helpful in getting organized?
All comments, experiences, tips and tricks are welcome?.

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You'll get a full comment on that when SadrCity is finished ;)

I'd say to manage the natural tendency of players to micromanage is a big pitfall. But it can be easily managed. Setting a reasonable game tempo can also be a challenge.

Christian

JohnfMonahan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Set up a checklist. I am forever forgetting to turn off OOB reports! Players will micromanage if you let them. That's why I go for one minute turns. Try to have a spare player or two as there is always someone who can't show up. Give the players time to plan. Planning is optional, but it gives you time to think and ask for more resources. Reboot you host machine just prior to startex. I try to have some unknowns in my games. That works better with some players than others. Some expect everything to be laid out and be unchanging. Just like life. LOL. The most time is spent answering emails. I don't spend a lot of time setting up a complex scenario, guys just want to play. Come up with a better commo solution that IRC. Please. And host a couple of times a year.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was curious to hear from people who umpire a CPX or an MBX.
  • What issues did you have to deal with?
  • What took the most time?
  • What ideas helped you run a successful game?
  • What tools were the most helpful in getting organized?
All comments, experiences, tips and tricks are welcome?.
Rattler yelling at me for dumping his orders :OHNO:

The time for the WI cpx was controlling the OPFOR myself. Island scenerio with a fixed defence so it worked. I deliberatly was not "too" accurate in the limited indirect fire seeing that I knew where everyone was.

It was a lot of fun. Almost as much fun as playing.

That one for me was a labor of love. I made the map and put the oobs together. I had talked quite a bit with the Major and got him to add some units for later use. There are some amphibious tanks for the Japanese I need to make sure get used as some point :smoke:.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From my memory it is a short list.

I've done one, John O, John M, Jeff Gilbert, Major H, Rattler, and that is it that I can remember.

My appologies to anyone that I'm forgetting.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From my memory it is a short list.

I've done one, John O, John M, Jeff Gilbert, Major H, Rattler, and that is it that I can remember.

My appologies to anyone that I'm forgetting.
I could probably look in my files for AAR comments from others.

I've considered hosting a game myself but my networking gear isn't very reliable and my standard troubleshooting method is to restart everything in sequence. I'd hate to ruin the weekend for a half-dozen people just because I've got cheap gear.