Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
AP54 800 Heroes 36/42
BFP31 Chinese Alamo 14/10
LFT137 300 12/6

(I have a slight preference for the first)

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
How is this film about heroic anti-Communist soldiers even made in today's China? Do they just withhold the fact and pretend those are Mao's troops?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
How is this film about heroic anti-Communist soldiers even made in today's China? Do they just withhold the fact and pretend those are Mao's troops?
My bet is that contemporary plump Chinese nationalism in that movie will be thick enough to make the difference between Chiang's troops and Mao's troops irrelevant.

von Marwitz

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Problems with the Nationalist flag, they blur it. I wonder why.
They kinda blur and shot full of holes the nationalist flag but it’s still there.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It has never been an issue to depict GMD soldiers in recent Chinese films or TV series, communists and nationalists were allied against the Japanese foe during WW2.

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
It has never been an issue to depict GMD soldiers in recent Chinese films or TV series, communists and nationalists were allied against the Japanese foe during WW2.
Except that the film was pulled from its initial film festival release schedule and reworked to remove a scene of soldiers defending the Nationalist flag and add scenes of helpful communist civilians.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/sep/18/the-eight-hundred-how-chinas-blockbusters-became-a-new-political-battleground

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
That would signal a slight hardening of the regime, consistent with what we see otherwise for HK/TW/Xinjiang. However i understand the movie itself has just slightly edited. Given the very poor performance of Chinese nationalists during the war, censors would know there is little risk people begin to think nationalists did well in WW2.
The basket case the GMD was did not escape George Marshall after the war.

Reactions: T34

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do a double take, look like Germans at first. Looks like a good movie and apparently they tried to stay close to what really happened, we’ll see.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Three years ago in a upscale Shanghai hotel room, scanned the TV channels.

There were five stations showing WWII content. Two movies, two "history channel" type documentary footage battles and one soap opera set in WWII.

All showed Chinese troops fighting versus the Japanese soldiers. Only in the soap opera were the mix- gendered heroes communist guerrillas. The nationalist flags were only in evidence in the documentary footage, but not minimized. The documentary footage was cool as it was new to me, unfortunately it had no English captions.

While this is an ancedotal experience, it repeated in Beijing and Xian. Nowhere was there any depiction of the Chinese fighting Amis in Korea.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Nothing new either, warring countrymen banding against the common foe. " Major Dundee " springs to mind.

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
I think there has been a change in regards to that. If you read the article I linked to there is this section.

In a revealing comment, the secretary general of the China Red Culture Research Association, a government-affiliated group, reportedly said of the film: “It is a reversal of history and misleads the audience. If left unchecked, it will certainly deprive the entire Communist party of its historical basis. Once the party’s leadership is lost, the Chinese nation is bound to fall into the deep, miserable abyss of colonised and semi-colonised countries.”

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
Also notice that the Nationalist flag has been edited in the movie to remove the star

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I do a double take, look like Germans at first. Looks like a good movie and apparently they tried to stay close to what really happened, we’ll see.
Have vague recollection of American film probably from 1942 where the Japanese were wearing German style helmets. Prop department not up to speed at that point most likely.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
This is what Empire has to say about it.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
From what I read in the film review the action takes place months after the fall of Shanghai. The rest of the city is watching what is happening at the warehouse. Is this true?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Have vague recollection of American film probably from 1942 where the Japanese were wearing German style helmets. Prop department not up to speed at that point most likely.
The Germans supplied lots of equipment to the Chinese before the war, helmets, Mausers, broomhandle pistols, etc. The Japanese had their own stuff. I think Mark Felton talks about a Tiger prototype the Germans tried to send to the Japanese.

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
Remember, the Germans made a lot of hard currency selling equipment to China before the tripartite pact. They even had advisors in China training Cheks best divisions, most of which were thrown away in Shanghai.