The 2009 GameSquad Invitational (Results)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: The 2009 GameSquad Invitational is Here!

Wow, good turnout this year. So far we have nine definites! I think that is a record and there is still time to reach a full roster. Best of all, we have a pretty diverse group of ratings, so everyone should have a shot at more than a few victories.

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Wow, good turnout this year. So far we have nine definites! I think that is a record and there is still time to reach a full roster. Best of all, we have a pretty diverse group of ratings, so everyone should have a shot at more than a few victories.
Well what did you expect ... when you throw enough chum in the water, you are bound to attract sharks.:shock::joy::hurray:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Looks like the playing list is finalized. I'll kick off the tourney tomorrow, Sunday, July 19.

Stay tuned!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The big red button has been pushed! To war!!!! Good luck all!

:horse:

Lurker

Reaction score

I'd like to get a concensus as to whether or not we should report the 2009 tourney on the GS chess ladder. I can have it either way, but I thought that reporting all the games might increase the interest in GS chess by showing that we are an active bunch.

Thoughts?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I left it up to the players to decide, but I'm generally in favor of doing so. I mean, why not?

Lurker

Reaction score

I'm going to post all of my games from this tournament. Right now our chess ladder looks dead in the water, so maybe we can get some interest going.

If anyone I've completed with does not want their game posted then let me know and I'll exclude it.

I'm also thinking of posting the PGN with the result for added interest / discussion.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

It takes an extra step, but feel free to use the "scenario" line to insert the opening variation. I think I will have to approve each scenario, but that is the only hassle with the process. I have no problem with doing that and I think it makes the game reports more interesting (check out some of the ones I submitted).

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

So...how's everyone's games going?

I am still working on my first victory! You guys are tough this year! :salute:

I see we have a knock-down, drag-out fight going on between Lurker and Crusader Rabbit, with Dward closing the gap! I am looking forward to a recap from you three!

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

I'd talk some smack but i havent faired as well as i hoped.

The games have all been good.
14 day turns has worked i think, most games i have been in have seen daily turns or turns every day or two so the games have been moving (except where holidays have come up, but thats OK).

I've noticed the chat at this site has dropped off, in prior years these threads got a hammering. I guess everyone has been more focussed on the games!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I've been slower than usual in my games. I feel a bit overwhelmed this year, so I am taking my good ol' sweet time. :p

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

72% complete! Lurker reigns supreme (as usual...I swear Lurker is actually a chess-playing bot with an internet account :p) with CrusaderRabbit (seed) and Dward rounding out the top three.

I will not be left out!!!! :D

Lurker

Reaction score

...I swear Lurker is actually a chess-playing bot with an internet account :p)
I will not be left out!!!! :D
Not quite; I just blew a game this evening on another site when I moved out of sequence again! I have a bad habit of doing that after I've set up my board and shuffled pieces around for awhile. Then when I decide on a move I will sometimes move too quickly and get the sequence backward by clicking and moving the wrong piece. :mad:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I've done that once or twice. It has got to be the most frustrating thing in the world. :mad: If you look at the Chess.com awards, you can give a "cat on the keyboard" trophy to someone who beat you because of a mis-move. :D

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

I (simply) need to beat YourElection and RooksBaily in both the games i have going on with them to have a remote chance of finishing 5th. Part of me beating RooksBaily in one of my games involves me overcoming a late game blunder i just made.

A remote chance of finishing 5th? Its worth fighting for.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Just an update:

The tourney is now 90% complete.

Standings

View attachment 28689

This is a close tourney! I should be able to tie Dward for third...at least I hope so. :) However, I am going to need another win to snatch third place because a tie favors him. We shall see!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

It is over! Results:

View attachment 29868

I am amazed that I snatched second place as I had very tough battles all around (this was one of the most challenging tourneys yet!).

I hope everyone had a good time!