The 2007 Gamesquad Chess Tourney Archives

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This whole issue with who gets white is needlessly annoying (it never came up with the other tourney because we did a 2-game round robin). I think we will use a different chess server for the next tournament (there are a lot of 'em out there, so it won't be a big deal).

Game Status:
Lurker and 1812 (underway)
Ober and Mark (underway)
KC and Steve (shortly)
Me and Foggy (underway)
.pars and Johnno41 (?)

Oberst_Hero

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Myself and others asked one another !

This whole issue with who gets white is needlessly annoying (it never came up with the other tourney because we did a 2-game round robin). I think we will use a different chess server for the next tournament (there are a lot of 'em out there, so it won't be a big deal).
Call me considerate and gentle if you like, but myself and others requested advice from one another on how to do it, start a game of chess with the correct side.
I don't agree that it is annoying.

It seems fair that we be posting for one another's benefit, and to not be trying to do it to rub salt in a wound we knew nothing off; nor was it intended to be. If there is a trouble some offender lurking I welcome the PM to be in on it.

Oberst_Hero

:)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you misunderstood my posting. I wasn't saying that it was annoying that you guys were discussing how to get the correct color assignments...not at all! Rather, I was saying that it was annoying that the IYT software does not allow the players to specify what color they want to be. I play chess using a variety of chess servers and I think all of them allow the challenging player to specify what color they want to be.

So, to clarify again, I was annoyed with the IYT interface, not with you guys discussing the issue. Feel free to discuss these issues all you want! I'll never complain! :)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dexter the chessmaster!

Here's a funny little cartoon to get you in the chess spirit! :D

Chess Mom

Enjoy!

PS: I tried to get the video to embed using the YouTube tags (advanced options), but I couldn't get it to work. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scott

It seems like Cyber Ranger is wondering about a ladder for chess. I think we have enough now and it is the most played of all games eh.:smoke:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems like Cyber Ranger is wondering about a ladder for chess. I think we have enough now and it is the most played of all games eh.:smoke:
Really? I haven't even mentioned it because we still only have ten players. We need to work a little on expanding our chess population. :) But if he wants to do it, I certainly won't stop him!

PS: That youtube link didn't work.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Does anyone else listen to "Murray Heads, One Night in Bangkok" soundtrack as they log into IYT?

ug huh. Thought so. It is just me :)

Steve buddy, you out there? Its been a few days since i offered a game, if you dont accept in 7 days it may be all over!?!?

My pride has no problem winning by a forfeit! :)

Oberst_Hero

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My face is red -- My apologies, my mistake !

I think you misunderstood my posting. I wasn't saying that it was annoying that you guys were discussing how to get the correct color assignments...not at all! Rather, I was saying that it was annoying that the IYT software does not allow the players to specify what color they want to be. I play chess using a variety of chess servers and I think all of them allow the challenging player to specify what color they want to be.

So, to clarify again, I was annoyed with the IYT interface, not with you guys discussing the issue. Feel free to discuss these issues all you want! I'll never complain! :)

You are right Scott I did screw that up completely. I thought you had stepped on my head for the postings. My apologies.
I completely, misread that and it didn't even occur to me to attempt to reread that from another perspective, than being shushed.

I'll take more care.

Oberst/:eek:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone else listen to "Murray Heads, One Night in Bangkok" soundtrack as they log into IYT?

ug huh. Thought so. It is just me :)

Steve buddy, you out there? Its been a few days since i offered a game, if you dont accept in 7 days it may be all over!?!?

My pride has no problem winning by a forfeit! :)
That brings back memories...."One Night in Bangkok" is a great chess song. Too bad the rest of the musical play was pretty insipid (at least the American version, I understand the play did better in England). I'm going to have to dig out my copy of that song and listen to it again. :)

We have our first game result: Oberst_Hero has been forced to forfeit the tourney, giving the first point to Mark (MOA).

Now we will only have 9 players for round two. Somebody is going to have to take a bye in each future round as a result. So if there is someone who would like to skip the next round, let me know (otherwise, I'll let the tourney software pick the person).

I suppose we could also get a substitute player, but he would need to be okay with the idea that he could never win first place as he could only have a max of 3 points at the end of round 4.

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
will rotating the bye work?

We have our first game result: Oberst_Hero has been forced to forfeit the tourney, giving the first point to Mark (MOA).

Now we will only have 9 players for round two. Somebody is going to have to take a bye in each future round as a result. So if there is someone who would like to skip the next round, let me know (otherwise, I'll let the tourney software pick the person).
well nothing ever works out equal does it?:smoke:

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I offered my opponant a game (since i was white) as soon as the tourny started. I didnt hear from him for a few days, then found out he did accept but he had white instead of black.

Hence my email etc a week or so ago to find out how i get to be white.

I have since offered a two game "game" so i get to be white, and also PM'd him to offer me a game (in either case i get white). I cant remember the day i offered him these options, but i have yet to hear from him.

Does anyone know my opponant? I fear i may have lost him. How long do i leave it?

PS i'd rather play the game than take a forfeit, if hes out there reading this!

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
hehe. Scoreless just contacted me and our game is now running, me as white. I think he must have been waiting the full 7 days before replying, messing with my head.

Of course, i just come off a game where i was beaton in 21 moves. I wonder if he can beat me in a quicker game than that?

I know its Chess, but we can talk trash here right?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know its Chess, but we can talk trash here right?
Would it be chess without it? ;)

BTW: When you complete a game, remember to send me the result along with a copy of the PGN score (look for the "view the PGN for the game" option and then cut and paste it here).

For example:

[Event "Casual Game"]
[Site "http://www.itsyourturn.com"]
[Date "2007.01.25"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Oberst_Hero"]
[Black "MOA"]
[Result "0-1"]
[Ply "10"]

1. d4 g6 2. e3 Bg7 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. h3 O-O 5. Nf3 d5 0-1

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I played e4 to start the game, and this seems to have thrown Scoreless! Its been nip and tuck since! After e4 i played bishop to c4. My structured opening has him on the back foot :)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is a short chess film that has more than a few amusing moments. You will chuckle at this look at the Royal Game from the point of view of the chess pieces.

Another amusing film is called Checkmate: The Movie Trailer.

How about chess meets the Matrix? Check out Beyond the Move. :rifle:

How are the games going? Matt and I have found ourselves in a wild game that began with a bang.

BTW: I have added some more material to my chess website. Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chessville Link Library

When it comes to finding software, Chessville has the best collection of links.

Here are the two most popular:

EC Tool is a perennial favorite...and free!

Mail Chess is another.

I can only vouch for EC Tool...it is a good, solid freeware program. But when I play correspondence chess, I use Chessmaster X to track my games. That way, when the game concludes, I can have it analyzed right in the same program.

Lurker

Reaction score
Thanks Scott! EC Tool is exactly what I was looking for. I had a similar program but lost it when I set up my new system and could never find it on-line again.

Wayne resigned our game prematurely and I needed something to set up the position so we can continue. :)