The 2007 Gamesquad Chess Tourney Archives

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for the tournament: I am thinking a Swiss with four rounds (i.e., we each play four games). How does that sound?

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'd have to read up on how the swiss work it :) but 4 games each sounds great to me.

8 games might be a reach, with keeping everyone involved (long games v short games, holidays, other interests ... ).

So i'd go for 4 games.

Oberst_Hero

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello Scott and y'all.

Well, I signed on to get to play. I'm no fan of knockout tourneys since they do not help the junior players gain experience, playing in games, that still have "a game that counts playing conditions' or upset opportunities, that are memorable in years to come.

No doubt, the stronger players get to play for the entirety of the tourney.
So I vote for playing rounds, up to the last game before the finals. In this way we could still get in games that would allow for seeding in future tourneys; so they still count;

gain more experience;

afterall, though I know I won't be in the final game, I can still play for spots 3 thru 10th place (last).

Oberst/

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Oberst

There is only one thing for sure 10th place...if you want it:laugh: :smoke:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd have to read up on how the swiss work it :) but 4 games each sounds great to me.

8 games might be a reach, with keeping everyone involved (long games v short games, holidays, other interests ... ).

So i'd go for 4 games.
A swiss works in a logical fashion: players of equal (or near equal) ratings face off against each other with no two players ever facing off against each other twice in one tourney. The only real drawback to a swiss is that you don't get to play every other player---unless you want to have as many rounds as there are players. But, all things considered, the swiss system is fun and works well.

Oberst:
Well, I signed on to get to play. I'm no fan of knockout tourneys since they do not help the junior players gain experience, playing in games, that still have "a game that counts playing conditions' or upset opportunities, that are memorable in years to come.

No doubt, the stronger players get to play for the entirety of the tourney.
So I vote for playing rounds, up to the last game before the finals.
Well said. While I do find knock-outs exciting, the limited spread of ratings in our tourney wouldn't make it much fun for the lower rated players. So a swiss is the best way to go (a round robin is nice, but with 10 players, that would mean a total of 18 games per player...a bit much).

Oberst_Hero

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Glorious Battle.

I think I will announce the pairings Sunday. Everybody okay with that?
:clap: :joy: :thumup: :bounce: :hail: :vsign: :bigfire: :drink: :hurray: :broccoli: :coolban: :bandrum:

Kraaaot, metuh zsue zsue ta' prot ! {May we die in glorious battle.}

Oberst/

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The pairings are announced:

White/Black
1) Foggiest versus Crusader Scott
2) Lurker88 versus 1812
3) KCDusk versus ScorelessCoasts
4) Oberst_Hero versus MOA
5) .pars versus Johnno41

White is responsible for issuing the challenge to Black.

This will be a four-round Swiss Tourney with a time control of 7 days per move.

Lastly, show no mercy, for you will receive none! :eek:gre:

Last edited:

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I've contacted my opponant for our game but do not know how to make sure i play "white". How do i do that?

I am listed first so i assume i am white?

So i play Scoreless once, or twice (white and black)?

If only once, i assume i will be black in the next game just to even things up (word of caution - i play better as black:)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've contacted my opponant for our game but do not know how to make sure i play "white". How do i do that?
If I remember correctly, when your opponent accepts the invitation, either you or your opponent will have the option of selecting their color.

I am listed first so i assume i am white?
Yes, you are White.

So i play Scoreless once, or twice (white and black)?
You only play one game against Scoreless.
If only once, i assume i will be black in the next game just to even things up (word of caution - i play better as black:)
This is a four round Swiss, so if the tourney software works correctly, everybody should play two games as white and two games as black (but against different players each time).

Anybody start their games yet?

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks for the replies ... I've made the offer but couldnt see anywhere to make sure i was white (doesnt really matter, but i'd like to know how/where to do it).

I have played 3 games over the past 4 weeks in warmup mode, and each time have not been able to select a colour. Oh well.

Have sent an offer to my opponant who must be playing head games with me by not accepting yet :)

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Dang! My games started and i am black ... how do i be white

HAs anyone else started their games?

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm playing Steve to get a game under way ... i offered a game to my opppnant but ended up black ... oh well.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KC and I did a test and we are thinking that black may need to issue the challenge to white for the colors to be assigned correctly. So, if you and your opponent haven't already started your games, BLACK should now offer the challenge to white.

Okay, according to what is posted here, the following games have begun:

Lurker and 1812 (underway)
Ober and Mark (shortly)
KC and Steve (shortly)
Me and Foggy (shortly)

.pars: Have you and Jim linked up yet?

Last edited:

Lurker

Reaction score
Lurker and I are playing two games we are bored.;) :laugh: :smoke:
I started off as black instead of white because of the IYT thing and Wayne sent another invite.

Wayne, we can use whichever game you want as the tourney game. Either way is fine with me.

Oberst_Hero

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello.
I also sent out an invite and got an email back from my opp that he was default white. Yet, I am supposed to be White pieces.

So I deleted that game and instead hit the button for offer and invite to a member for a "T w o" game challenge. Which is defaulted to one game as white pieces each.

Now, I believe my opponent can come on and make a move on the wrong board which sends me an email that our games are underway. Of course, I can delete this game after we have completed the correctly aligned Chess board.
Hence, I then come on and make the Official White piece first move, but leave the other game uncompleted. (in case they are linked in the delete button I will delete it after our correct game is completed)

So, in general for a 1 game match since the default is Offering invite player is Black pieces; then all black piece players should do the invitations.

If anyone knows a way to alter this 1-game invite defaulting for black pieces I would appreciate some directions when you have the time. It might be in the preferences some where for Paying Members only, if not. (if so, let us know).

Oberst/

Last edited:

Oberst_Hero

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you are White pieces select 2 game invite not single.

I started off as black instead of white because of the IYT thing and Wayne sent another invite.

Wayne, we can use whichever game you want as the tourney game. Either way is fine with me.
Yes, so it turns out that sending out a 2 game invitation, makes it possible for the White Pieces Player to be the game starter. When Black accepts the invitation he simply waits for White to make his first move. At that or any other point White may delete the other game. The only other way for White to be aligned with White pieces is to wait for Black to setup a single game invite!
Apparently, there are no penalties for deleting games.

Hello Scott. Oberst and MOA have begun their XG tourney Chess game.

Cool

C. D.