That's Our Dave

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing Finnish Tuomo in BoF16 Saluting A General for submission to Dave and Martin for their consideration in some upcoming IR episode. The scenario gives the Germans two 9-1 Armor Leaders, so naturally they are Dave and Martin.

Here we see Dave overrunning a hapless Russian squad. Clearly he needs to figure out how to fix his MA and go back to Overrun School, because the squad merely Pinned.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is the BOF scenario updated from FrF56?

ROAR has FrF56 something like 25 - 12 for the Russians.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I imagine it is, and I'm not surprised about ROAR. Not sure if the BoF version is different from FrF56, but after a few turns in, it's obvious that the German infantry have their work cut out for them. The fastest way to get to the VC area, straight up the middle, looks really hard to force. And either flank takes longer and is seemingly easy to block.

We're about to enter the Rubber Meets The Road portion of the game, where the Germans have positioned themselves about as much as they can before making a serious play, so things will develop quickly from here, one way or the other. About to start Russian turn 3. Tanks Will Burn.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland

Yes it has been updated. Russian tanks have lost all special ammo and the German OB has been tinkered with. Our game is still pretty open - you'll get our verdict soon on a YouTube channel near you.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Looking forward to taking a look at this one.

Martin's been waylaid with some essential family stuff, but we're almost through our playing of Storm of Steel that the scenario archive cruelly picked for us to slog through (to be fair it isn't terrible, but it's not one of the action pack's finest in terms of "fun").

We also have the other semi final to go through, so hopefully we can get most of this done on tuesday, ready for a new episode this week.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Update, about to start German turn 5 (of 6.5)

The Storm of Steel was more like a Breeze of Balsa, as the German armor contented itself by extending the flanks. One of the precious PzIIIJ's was lost in the process, but was more than counter-balanced by a Russian Lee malfing both its 37L and 75mm guns, then Recalling on a repair dr of 6, plus some poor luck with a Stuart who made a good move to loop around the German tank in 5F1 but couldn't score on his Bounding Fire roll. The PzIII took advantage of its ROF 2 to nail it with an APCR shot, though the crew survived.

So with 3 German and 2 Russian moves to go, the tank lineup is 7-4 in favor of the Germans, with Dave opting against trying to fix his malf'd MA and thus stay in the game. No word on Martin yet; was he in the ill-fated PzIIIJ that died last turn? STAY TUNED.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
One of the precious PzIIIJ's was lost in the process, but was more than counter-balanced by a Russian Lee malfing both its 37L and 75mm guns, then Recalling on a repair dr of 6, plus some poor luck with a Stuart who made a good move to loop around the German tank in 5F1 but couldn't score on his Bounding Fire roll. The PzIII took advantage of its ROF 2 to nail it with an APCR shot, though the crew survived.
Well, at the beginning of this session I felt I had a solid position. Not anymore- I just felt I needed that Lee with both guns Malfd back but this backfired royally. Tried to use the Stuart to get into more even position but that back fired as well. Still lots can happen, including Dave finally doing something worthwhile.