That ol' WALL/HEDGE LOS question

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
wall.GIF

See-- 9.2 LOS: Wall and hedge hexsides are Half-Level obstacles to same-level LOS (A6.21) unless the wall/hedge hexside is part of the viewing/target hex.

In other words you are beside it...

In the illustration, if there was greater than 1 hex ( here Y8) between the two units would there be an LOS. Here one can perhaps imagine that the hexspines are like the arm of each unit and and that X7-Y7-Y8 ( end of wall) and same for the other are firing across that hex.

However, if a unit were to the LHS of W10 and the hedge at W9 did not exist would there be an LOS to Y6? This follows the alignment...

Is the "separation" of the units relevant to the LOS along hexspines essentially.

I am moving towards the answer no- in which case = hexside... (except it is down a predetermined path).

Thanks

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I am not 100% sure what you are asking here. But I think the question revolves around whether the distance between firer and target affects their ability to see over walls and hedges. To that, the answer is no. So in the above example, Y8 could, in fact, be any number of OG hexes running along the LOS line between X6 and Z9. Such an "expanding" LOS would always remain clear for same-level units that are directly behind their respective wall/hedge.

My way of imagining these LOSs is to visualize the walls as straight lines - not zigzags along the hexside. This is what they would be "in reality," and while this creates a new set of conceptual, ASL incongruities (“which side of the Hexrow X wall are we on?”), this does make sense of these fire-along-the-hexside situations.

With all that in mind, I guess that your second example was to imagine a shot from 6V10 to 6Y6 (assuming there was no hedge hexsides in W9). If I have that right, then the answer above covers it. Just like the RB example (with our telescope-able middle hex, Y8), the number of OG hexes between walls and hedges has no effect on same-level LOS. The LOS would be clear.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I believe you are asking about whether hexside Y9/Z8 is a LOS obstacle to/from hex Z9. Is that correct?

JR

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
X6, Z7 AND Z9 get the wall/hedge and LOS exists in both arrowed examples.

Note the hedge does not help Z9 as it in in woods, also a +1.

Rich