Thanks for keeping the community alive.

Mgellis

The Pooner (2012)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You asked earlier which versions people recommended.

My recommendation...

Give them all a try and play the versions you enjoy.

I personally prefer ANW and the HUD-4 database. But that's simply a matter of personal preference. I like the HUD-4. I think it's the best option available for playing ANW and so it is what I use and it is what I recommend to people who want to write their own scenarios.

You can download the newest version of the HUD-4 at...

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?/files/file/780-hud4-v111/

...it's on Harpgamer (http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php) which is a very good site for discussing both Harpoon Classic and Harpoon 3/ANW.

My other piece of advice...don't get sucked into the database wars. :) They're a waste of time. Just try out the various versions and databases and scenarios and choose the ones you enjoy. (Remember, if you use a new version of a database, you may have to rebuild a scenario to play it, but this is very easy to do--just open the scenario in the scenario editor, select Edit/Scenario Rebuild/Rebuild All Units, and save it; it takes about 30 seconds.) Play the game. Post after-action reports. Write your own scenarios. Share them if you think other people would enjoy them. Have fun. That's what matters. The person who has the most fun wins. :)

Last edited:

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I personally prefer ANW and the HUD-4 database.
A perfect combination of the buggiest game version and the buggiest database.

(Remember, if you use a new version of a database, you may have to rebuild a scenario to play it, but this is very easy to do--just open the scenario in the scenario editor, select Edit/Scenario Rebuild/Rebuild All Units, and save it; it takes about 30 seconds.)
Anyone naive enough to believe this would immediately encounter this bug:

All land units re-named to default
http://tinyurl.com/25ym7dc

All land units re-named to default when scenario is re-built by SE thereby corrupting all ViConds dependent upon them​

My other piece of advice...don't get sucked into the HUD scenarios. :) They're a waste of time.
Fixed that for you. Of course, bugs do not matter when your attitude is:

A couple of my early scenarios do have a couple of bugs, but these have been reported, and it is possible (pretty easy, in fact) to work around the two or three weapons that don't fire properly and win the scenario anyway. I left those scenarios on Harpgamer so people can experiment.
Mark openly admits that his scenarios have bugs, knows exactly which ones they are, and STILL refuses to correct any of them. Hapless players are left to, "work around the two or three weapons that don't fire properly". It is abundantly clear from his own words that no matter what problem is reported, it will never be fixed. This is the underlying attitude of HUD and the primary reason why no one plays HUD scenarios.​

Last edited: