Thank you for Hatten, MMP.

Andrew Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llAustralia
Cheers to all of the feedback. I hope you enjoy the CG and the scenarios. A full historical background on the battle is provided in www.hatten1945.com.

In terms of the 'lack of night scenarios', in the first five days of fighting at Hatten and Rittershoffen (which is the focus of the HiF CG) there was limited action at night; virtually none. However, when the Fallschirmjagers appeared around 14 January a series of night actions ensured. These were quite vicious. Hopefully these actions will be covered by future scenarios.

As to the size of the product; this is partially a function of the time required to playtest (a process that can become quite tedious). The CG could have covered both Hatten and Rittershoffen and the length of playtesting would have gone from three years to six to reflect double the map and counter size. Given there are a number of 'beast-sized' CGs in existence and many good ones on the horizon, a smaller CG just concentrating on Hatten seemed appropriate.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
In terms of the 'lack of night scenarios', in the first five days of fighting at Hatten and Rittershoffen there was limited action at night; virtually none.
Thanks for the input.
That is what I understood: there are no Night days in the CG, for historical reasons.
It seems that some have misread that I would not play Night days if there were any.
But there are none!

Well .. can't really play out Red Chinese (or later, PLA & CPVA) battles without Night.
And there were no Red Chinese in Hatten in 1945!
What is your point here?
I never contested that there were numerous situations during WW2 where night operations occurred!
I never was negative about players liking Night rules.
I simply dared say that I am glad that Hatten has no CG Night days: I reckon that I am shy with the Night rules and I even explained that I shouldn't be.
I am not the only ASL player who is shy with Night rules.
This CG can introduce such players to CGs - me included.
What is your problem here?

I wouldn't care for your hostility, if I hadn't know you as more tolerant.
PM me if you think that there is a feud between you and me - which I for the present time ignore : I want to know where it could come from and find a way to settle it.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the input.
That is what I understood: there are no Night days in the CG, for historical reasons.
It seems that some have misread that I would not play Night days if there were any.
But there are none!

And there were no Red Chinese in Hatten in 1945!
What is your point here?
I never contested that there were numerous situations during WW2 where night operations occurred!
I never was negative about players liking Night rules.
I simply dared say that I am glad that Hatten has no CG Night days: I reckon that I am shy with the Night rules and I even explained that I shouldn't be.
I am not the only ASL player who is shy with Night rules.
This CG can introduce such players to CGs - me included.
What is your problem here?

I wouldn't care for your hostility, if I hadn't know you as more tolerant.
PM me if you think that there is a feud between you and me - which I for the present time ignore : I want to know where it could come from and find a way to settle it.
Dude. As true as my family name, you gotta start learning that not everything is about you.

I was NOT talking about you nor am I commenting on anything that has anything to do with you.

Hostility? Are you serious? I am commenting on Night rules in general as everyone else are.

Lay the fuck off, take a chill pill and trust that nothing I will ever say will have anything to do with you.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hatten, less complex? BS! Hatten is full blown ASL.

Played the HF1 scenario Saturday and there was nothing simple about it...rules or situation. Rules wise, it uses every rule found in A-D, some E and a few HASL specific. The situation requires an eye for some strategic maneuvering and not just blunt force trauma. It also has a decent collection of toys for a 6 turn, low counter density scenario.

I play mostly CG's/HASL...RB being my specialty. What makes Hatten sweet for a CG (which I hope to play soon) is that you don't have to earn a Phd before you play it. And I will add that, RB is really low investment when it comes to SSR as compared to the CG's that came after. So Hatten is really more of a throw back to RB as a CG as opposed to just being "low complexity".

So let me add my voice...thank you MMP for Hatten. I believe both the scenarios and CG will be destined for classic status.

AND...

That map is simply awesome!

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If only we had a VASL map for it. Oh wait ... I do. :) -- jim (and no, that's MMP's to distribute when they are ready)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am waiting on secondchancegames to ship it.
I presume that retailers get their games after the individual pre-orders are sent - not speaking of the time the games take to cross the Pond.
I was near Hatten in past November - teaching in a church at Wissembourg - but didn't have the opportunity to stop there.
I am probing the French ASL community to see if we can organise an ASL meeting at Hatten or in the neighbourhood - I presume that nearby Germans would join in too.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
I was near Hatten in past November - teaching in a church at Wissembourg - but didn't have the opportunity to stop there.
I am probing the French ASL community to see if we can organise an ASL meeting at Hatten or in the neighbourhood - I presume that nearby Germans would join in too.
Good idea !

Lionel

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please keep in mind, this is only my opinion:

Thank you MMP and Andy Rogers for Hatten in Flames.

I seriously hope that this is a sign of things to come.

A campaign, with minimal extra rules, minimal new terrain, great looking scenarios and WITHOUT 1000 new un-necessary counters or new squad types all at a very nice price. I can open the box, pick out a scenario, read a single page of relevant rules and start playing with the equipment I have.

Thank you again Andy and MMP. This is the kind of new module product that THIS ASL player likes to see.

Oh, and the winter map looks friggin' awesome.

I'll third or fourth that!

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My status has been "packing" since 8/8...hmmmm. Will it come magnetically levitated in the shipping box so that it doesn't touch even the shipping container? LOL

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
My status has been "packing" since 8/8...hmmmm. Will it come magnetically levitated in the shipping box so that it doesn't touch even the shipping container? LOL
Maybe your CC expired? -- jim

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hatten looks like a CG I may actually try. Looks pretty clean and straight-forward. Manageable size -- and no night.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Yes, always love it when a CG has no Night CG dates. Much easier to play.
You are complicated to understand.
When I said about the same thing, you said the opposite and called me a "history denier".
I may have missed some trait of humour from your part, though.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I feel that Night rules are so much easier than many other sections of the ASLRB. No need to fear them. VASL makes playing Night scenarios a joy. That said, it is nice to have a small 'meat n' potatoes' CG like Hatten to play. Andy's website is really cool too, gives an interesting and detailed study of the battle.