TH, ITT, ATT

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yep, I follow and agree with all that (I'd previously misinterpreted the EXC in C6.2). The only thing is that this seems to make it harder to fire SMOKE into a hex with a concealed target than it is to fire SMOKE at an empty hex. Can anyone suggest why this should be?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yep, I follow and agree with all that (I'd previously misinterpreted the EXC in C6.2). The only thing is that this seems to make it harder to fire SMOKE into a hex with a concealed target than it is to fire SMOKE at an empty hex. Can anyone suggest why this should be?
I believe it is to counter the "Omniscient Player syndrome" somewhat. I.e., you as the player knows something is there, but the real life gunners might not, and therefore might not have a reason to place Smoke there.

Same thing with the "extra" Battery Access chit draw, IIRC.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The only thing is that this seems to make it harder to fire SMOKE into a hex with a concealed target than it is to fire SMOKE at an empty hex. Can anyone suggest why this should be?
The ASL concealment mechanism gives the player a lot more information than the on-the-ground units would have had. As a nod to simulation, the player is penalized for taking advantage of that knowledge.

JR

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Firing smoke into a hex with an enemy unit gives an extra +1 for firing out of smoke. So they're making it that little bit harder for you to get that effect by firing smoke and a specific unit
that's just a thought
firing at anything concealed is harder.
There are 10 to 12 guys standing in a 40 m area that you try to put smoke on
whereas firing in a big empty hex 40 m x 40 m the fire and I suppose

Makes the same sense for me dropping a mortar round on top of them, it's easier to hit them in a 40 m area, it's a hell of a lot harder to hurt em

But this is a realism argument
the simple answer is because the rules say that it's +2 more to hit something that is concealed

Oh, then here is a bonus point to. In our examples above there is only one unit of each side on the board per se.
Laying smoke in an empty hex in front of a given unit often provides more cover because more than one specific unit may have its line of sight affected
just a tactical consideration of course

Andy Bagley

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llUnited Kingdom
OK fair comments, thanks, and yes I realise that firing/dropping smoke in front of an enemy-occupied hex is often the way to go. (Just don't tell my opponents! :) )