Text not appearing

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been trying some things. I don't think it has anything to do with compatibility with another player's set up or versions of VASSAL/VASL. Here's why. Launched VASSAL 3.6.17. Opened VASL 6.6.6. Selected option to start a new game offline, picked bd 1, Launched. All as expected, chat window scrolls the usual information about versions and extensions. Began a log. Typed 'Hi', pressed enter, doesn't appear in chat window, instead I get *... then my name, same problem as before. Quit. Opened VASL 6.6.5, same process, typed 'Hi', pressed enter, in chat window Hi appears then my name, as it should. Nothing here involves anyone else. 6.6.5 works fine (as did 6.6.4 which I tried too). 6.6.6 does not work fine. I'm baffled. Anybody got any ideas please?
I repeated your test process. No problem, everything works fine on my computer. I am using Windows 10. It is a strange problem. Doug can correct me, but as far as I know the only difference in the chat window from 665 to 666 is the html.

Tycho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Happens to me pretty regularly with log files (and I'm positive my opponents and I aren't all using the same VASSAL/VASL). A quick up-down scroll of the mouse wheel brings up the last line. A little annoying, beats the hell out of no ASL though.

charlie

Reaction score
Country
ll
Happens to me pretty regularly with log files (and I'm positive my opponents and I aren't all using the same VASSAL/VASL). A quick up-down scroll of the mouse wheel brings up the last line. A little annoying, beats the hell out of no ASL though.
Doesn't work for me sadly...

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yep, I'm out of ideas as to what the problem is unless it's just that VASSAL has gone wrong on your PC (with the html updates).
At some stage you might want to uninstall and reinstall VASSAL but it's not very likely to help.

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I wonder if it's possible for the choice of language and keyboard settings to screw up the text display.

Hexagoner

Reaction score
I'm confident that this will be reliably fixed at some point in the future. Pretty clear it isn't really understood up to now. But some day, someone among lots of smart guys will figure it out. The key is hanging in there until then.

Patch_Bunny

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am having the same issue. Can't see my own text nor my opponents. On VASL 6.6.6, VASSAL 3.6.17. Unloaded all extensions so that's not it.

I upgraded my VASL and VASSAL a week or two ago. My opponent did it tonight. I have an issue, he doesn't. Maybe I'll try reinstalling it all.

Patch_Bunny

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am having the same issue. Can't see my own text nor my opponents. On VASL 6.6.6, VASSAL 3.6.17. Unloaded all extensions so that's not it.

I upgraded my VASL and VASSAL a week or two ago. My opponent did it tonight. I have an issue, he doesn't. Maybe I'll try reinstalling it all.
Ok, so no go on the reinstall. Still have the issue.

If I go to preferences and toggle "Use Images for Dice Rolls" it appears to fix it. No idea why my opponent is having no issues and I am.

ETA: My opponent had that toggle checked. When he turns it off, he has the same problem. >.<

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
FWIW, your screenshot is you trying to play a game while in the Main Room?

Not to say that you're not having a problem, but you'll probably want to be in a room other than Main Room to expect to see anything from anyone.

Patch_Bunny

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FWIW, your screenshot is you trying to play a game while in the Main Room?

Not to say that you're not having a problem, but you'll probably want to be in a room other than Main Room to expect to see anything from anyone.
No, that's just where I was when I took the screen shot. It's in-game and out of game.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
K. I happen to be using VASSAL 3.6.15 and VASL 6.6.6 and haven't had any issues like this. Maybe rollback your VASSAL a bit?

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ok, so no go on the reinstall. Still have the issue.

If I go to preferences and toggle "Use Images for Dice Rolls" it appears to fix it. No idea why my opponent is having no issues and I am.

ETA: My opponent had that toggle checked. When he turns it off, he has the same problem. >.<
Okay, so problem solved it seems.
Dice images are integral to text display after the HTML improvements.

Hexagoner

Reaction score
Im playing RO CG1. Both me and my opponent have seen this. He just told me it started right after pressing the button to back up 1 line. I have no idea if thats causing it or one of the things that causes it, but it is likely another symptom.