Text not appearing

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I am running VASSAL 3.6.7 and VASL 6.6.5
I am encountering a problem whereby I type a line of text and hit enter and it does not appear, then I type another and they both appear.
Anyone else experiencing this?

Hexagoner

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. I'm running VASSAL 3.6.14 and the very evil VASL 6.6.6. Could not see the Dropbox link.

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I cannot remember which one, but an extension I had loaded was causing this issue for me.
I removed it, and it was fixed. One of the dice extensions I think.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have the exact same problem. I'm running VASSAL 3.6.14 and the very evil VASL 6.6.6. Could not see the Dropbox link.
If you have 6.6.6 you don't need the beta. It is an earlier version. You have the latest.

I cannot remember which one, but an extension I had loaded was causing this issue for me.
I removed it, and it was fixed. One of the dice extensions I think.
Chatter-plus is the usual culprit. If found, delete.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I do not have chatter-plus. I have 6.6.6 and I still see this issue. VASSAL 3.6.14, Mac. Communicating to Windows PC.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I do not have chatter-plus. I have 6.6.6 and I still see this issue. VASSAL 3.6.14, Mac. Communicating to Windows PC.
Michael, my recollection is that we traced this bug to VASSAL3.6.8 or thereabout and they put a fix in. Or was that something completely different?

It may be MAC specific. When I send a message from my windows pc it shows up in my chatter window right away.

@Thunderchief Are you on a MAC?

Is this a problem in your chat window alone (that is when you send a message to your opponent, you don't see it but they do)? Is it just them? Or both of you?

Hexagoner

Reaction score
I don't have chatter-plus either, but Doug's comment about extensions got me thinking. I found when I disabled the following extensions, the problem went away:
terrain chart 1.2.1
PTOterrain
festung-budapest-1.2
oba-flowchart

I was unable to isolate it further. When I re-enabled them one at a time, to all of them re-enabled, the problem didn't return. No idea why.

Tom

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have all four of those extensions as well and have not had the problem.

Hexagoner

Reaction score
Well, from this thread and what others have said, it appears that we (collectively) have no idea what actually causes this problem and what reliably fixes it.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
I actually experienced this awhile back during a PBEM game when generating and going through logs. The problem appears to have disappeared at some point and I have tweaked extensions since.

Anyway, not very helpful I know - but just wanted to say I've also seen this (or a closely related) behavior and had it apparently "fix" itself somehow along the way. If it gets into that state again I'm more carefully try to track down what "fixes" it.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
Thanks for the thread. I had been running into the problem of playing logs with the newer versions and not being able to see any input text at all. Now I changed the extension directory to a new location which is empty and voila! Logs play perfectly. I will start putting back the extensions in the new destination.

charlie

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks for the thread. I had been running into the problem of playing logs with the newer versions and not being able to see any input text at all. Now I changed the extension directory to a new location which is empty and voila! Logs play perfectly. I will start putting back the extensions in the new destination.

charlie

Reaction score
Country
ll
I have just installed 666 and am now having the same problem with input text. Changing the extension directory didn't help. Reverting to 665 resolved it.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have just installed 666 and am now having the same problem with input text. Changing the extension directory didn't help. Reverting to 665 resolved it.
A few more details would be helpful. Presumably, you were playing an opponent at the time. Was he on 6.6.6 as well? What VASSAL versions were each of you using?

Do not stay on 665; board auto-updating no longer works on 665 and you won't get access to new boards or updated boards. At a minimum I suggest you move to 6.6.5.1. But then you won't have access to all the other bug fixes in 6.6.6.

charlie

Reaction score
Country
ll
A few more details would be helpful. Presumably, you were playing an opponent at the time. Was he on 6.6.6 as well? What VASSAL versions were each of you using?

Do not stay on 665; board auto-updating no longer works on 665 and you won't get access to new boards or updated boards. At a minimum I suggest you move to 6.6.5.1. But then you won't have access to all the other bug fixes in 6.6.6.
Thanks Doug. It wasn't live - I was creating a game log for PBeM. I'm on VASSAL 3.6.17. The recipient of my log could see what I'd typed, interestingly. He sent back a log and his text too had been replaced by *... so was inaccessible to me. For what it's worth he's running VASL 6.6.4 - don't know which VASSAL, could find out but the problem doesn't seem to be between me and him, it's between me and VASL, I think

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Doug. It wasn't live - I was creating a game log for PBeM. I'm on VASSAL 3.6.17. The recipient of my log could see what I'd typed, interestingly. He sent back a log and his text too had been replaced by *... so was inaccessible to me. For what it's worth he's running VASL 6.6.4 - don't know which VASSAL, could find out but the problem doesn't seem to be between me and him, it's between me and VASL, I think
Based on your description, I think the problem is between the two VASSAL versions. We made a lot of changes to chat window between 6.6.4 and 6.6.6. I would suggest standardizing on one version and see if the problem continues before trying anything else.

charlie

Reaction score
Country
ll
Based on your description, I think the problem is between the two VASSAL versions. We made a lot of changes to chat window between 6.6.4 and 6.6.6. I would suggest standardizing on one version and see if the problem continues before trying anything else.
Thanks!

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Do not use different versions from the other players. There is no upside to it. The best thing that can happen is that everything works as though you were all using the same versions---which is something you could get trivially by all using the same version.

charlie

Reaction score
Country
ll
I've been trying some things. I don't think it has anything to do with compatibility with another player's set up or versions of VASSAL/VASL. Here's why. Launched VASSAL 3.6.17. Opened VASL 6.6.6. Selected option to start a new game offline, picked bd 1, Launched. All as expected, chat window scrolls the usual information about versions and extensions. Began a log. Typed 'Hi', pressed enter, doesn't appear in chat window, instead I get *... then my name, same problem as before. Quit. Opened VASL 6.6.5, same process, typed 'Hi', pressed enter, in chat window Hi appears then my name, as it should. Nothing here involves anyone else. 6.6.5 works fine (as did 6.6.4 which I tried too). 6.6.6 does not work fine. I'm baffled. Anybody got any ideas please?