Terrain clarification CH83

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Using the muscle of VASL for extreme map makeover (not found on Bravo TV) I was interested in CH83 scenario Jungles of Stone. I need a terrain rules clarification. The board is 31 (desert) with Broken Terrain in effect. Hammada would become crag and scrub would become brush. SSR4 says Hammada and scrub are lvl 2 sandstone buttes. Should their be crags on top of the buttes and all non-depression hexes adj. to former hamm. become broken ground? Likewise, should there be brush on top of a butte derived from scrub hex?? I can imagine this scenario with all the extreme terrain changes doesn't see much play, but VASL makes it pretty doable imho.
Thanks in advance.
Victor

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
As I see it, there are two possibilities:

A) Apply Terrain SSR, then apply Broken Terrain rules.

B) Apply Broken Terrain rules, then apply Terrain SSR.

If you choose B), then all hammada and scrub will disappear (replaced by brush/crag) before the SSR is applied. When applying the SSR afterwards, there is then no hammada and scrub to apply the SSR to, which doesn't make sense, so alternative A) must be chosen.

With A), you apply the SSR, making all hammada/scrub lvl 2 sandstone buttes before starting to think about F2, F3 or F13.

From your description, it looks like the SSR tells you that the hammada/scrub become something else and therefore disappears. Assuming this, the answers are then:

Should their be crags on top of the buttes and all non-depression hexes adj. to former hamm. become broken ground? Likewise, should there be brush on top of a butte derived from scrub hex??
No - hammada and scrub disappears, so you should forget all about F2, F3 and F13.

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see your point, but if I apply the butte ssr first then there are no crags at all and therefore no broken ground either. So there will be essentially no effect in having Broken terrain in effect. Unless of course the designer intended former hammada (now butte hexes, but would have been crag with broken terrain)to have adjacent broken ground in non depression hexes.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Victor said:
I see your point, but if I apply the butte ssr first then there are no crags at all and therefore no broken ground either.
:( - I'm afraid that I didn't look to closely at the broken ground rules. Those don't make any sense without any "hammada (now crag)". :hmmm:

So there will be essentially no effect in having Broken terrain in effect. Unless of course the designer intended former hammada (now butte hexes, but would have been crag with broken terrain)to have adjacent broken ground in non depression hexes.
I guess that's the intention, based on the info you give about the SSR.

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is the SSR:

Broken Terrain is in effect (F13.1.G-2 is applicable). Hammada and Scrub are level two sandstone Buttes which are impassable Inherent Terrain (EXC: Buttes are considered Hills/Concealment Terrain for Japanese Cave set up purposes only.)...and so on.

I think the F13.1.G-2 is confusing...what the heck is .G-2??? I'm assuming that you apply broken terrain first so you can generate broken ground around the crags then convert them to buttes. Makes the most sense.

Victor

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Victor said:
I think the F13.1.G-2 is confusing...what the heck is .G-2???
They could mean G.2 :p

I'm assuming that you apply broken terrain first so you can generate broken ground around the crags then convert them to buttes. Makes the most sense.
I agree. Btw, this reminds me why I stopped buying the CH mag after the first three issues. Many scenarios looked interesting, but way too many was unfinished. :mad:

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ole Boe said:
They could mean G.2 :p

I agree. Btw, this reminds me why I stopped buying the CH mag after the first three issues. Many scenarios looked interesting, but way too many was unfinished. :mad:

They could mean G.2, but that refers to fortifications in jungle, kunai, or bamboo, none of which are present on this desert board. hehe

I find the CH mag scenarios to be quite variable, but I just collect mine on low ball bids from e-bay, so I feel like I'm paying about what they've been worth.

:p