Ternopil

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a week ago I was looking at someone's DASL scenario collection and ran across a playtest scenario "Hammer and Anvil" with the setting of Ternopil. It looked like it was printed off an Applewriter (1990s vintage) and it didn't really have a finalized set of victory conditions.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ternopil is the current Ukrainian name of the city however during the 2nd World War it was commonly referred to as Tarnopol by the Poles before the fall of Poland and its transfer to the Russians in 1939 per the Russo-German pact and by the Germans throughout the war. The Russians referred to the place as Ternopol throughout the war and up until Ukraine's independence at which time its historic Ukrainian name of Ternopil was generally accepted as official.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No maps, so I can't really visualize what's being described.
Yeah, the old bugaboo. I only tried the sample of the Amazon book (and was glad for that since the writing was terrible) and despite one of the 5-star reviews talking about how nice the maps were, I saw zero maps. Maybe they were in the full-purchase book, I dunno.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... the writing was terrible ...
[Thanks for the heads-up.

Bought a book this year based on a suggestion here. A seldom-addressed topic of interest to me. Sadly, the book may as well be a Schedule II drug. I can take no more than maybe 15 pp at a time. Sigh. Some "best" experts can be the "worst" writers...]

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Had a similar experience with a book I recently bought on Narvik. Despite having penned more than 15 books to date, the author's prose is a chore to navigate. It's a shame as the subject matter is otherwise detailed with heaps of maps to consult. The incoherent story may also be a result of poor editing. Dunno.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We should do a thread on ASL AARs written in the style of typical ww2 historians.

"On turn 1, Squad A moved to F3, then F4, then F5, before finally arriving at their destination in F6. Squad B moved...."

(With no pictures)

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
No maps, so I can't really visualize what's being described.
Just got the book, Color maps of Ternopil, Kovel, Poznan, and Breslau. Shows positions of Divisions. It is a Pen & Sword translation, Copyright: 2021.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
We should do a thread on ASL AARs written in the style of typical ww2 historians.

"On turn 1, Squad A moved to F3, then F4, then F5, before finally arriving at their destination in F6. Squad B moved...."

(With no pictures)
[/QUO

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
"Name all the hexes you can see from..."

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Chapter K brought back to real life. No thanks. Lol.
I liked Chapter K.

It was of help to me.

That said, I was learning ASL as a non-native English speaker all by myself with no one there whatsoever to play with or to teach me. With a trace of understatement: It was arduous.

For you US dudes:
Imagine yourself filling in a German income tax form for the first time with just your normal dictionary at hand and nobody else around to assist you whatsoever. Nuff said.

von Marwitz

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I actually liked chapter K too, complete with following movement hex-by-hex. Course, that was pre-internet, and nowadays the whole thing would work smashingly well online. Who would do the voice-over?

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Good Choice!