Television: What shows are you currently watching?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Re-discovering how good Jon Stewart was.
Stewart and Rush Limbaugh were two of a kind, just opposite ends of the political spectrum. Smug, not near as smart as they pretend to be, and prone to wild exaggeration in an attempt to inflame their supporters. I couldn't be happier Stewart is off the air. Both have at least the redeeming quality of devoting themselves to worthy charity work.

There is literally nothing on television that I enjoy watching anymore. I tune in CBC's National but only on Thursdays so I can watch the At Issue panel since it gives an impression of something approaching impartiality or at the least a bit of diversity of opinion. Far more interesting than watching a Stewart, or Maher, or Limbaugh reinforce their own ideology. Other than that, I will sometimes watch Jay and Dan who left Fox sports a while back to return to the TSN fold in Canada.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've watched all of these in the past few months:

Unforgotten on Amazon Prime
Counterparts on Amazon Prime
Mr. Robot on Amazon Prime
Homeland on Hulu (first 7 seasons)
Westworld on HBO (final season to start soon)
The Outsiders on HBO

mhrabak

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've watched all of these in the past few months:

Unforgotten on Amazon Prime
Counterparts on Amazon Prime
Mr. Robot on Amazon Prime
Homeland on Hulu (first 7 seasons)
Westworld on HBO (final season to start soon)
The Outsiders on HBO
Unforgotten is great stuff.
I watched Prisoners of War, and I liked much better than Homeland, it is an Israeli based show with subtitles, but worth it for sure.
I am also watching Fauda on Netflix--intense but awesome.
I also recommend Gomorrah, which is an Italian based show about an Italian crime family.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unforgotten is great stuff.
I watched Prisoners of War, and I liked much better than Homeland, it is an Israeli based show with subtitles, but worth it for sure.
I am also watching Fauda on Netflix--intense but awesome.
I also recommend Gomorrah, which is an Italian based show about an Italian crime family.
I will definitely check them out.

I think I started to watch Prisoners of War. Is that the one in which the 2 Israeli teens were kidnapped/ killed?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I have been watching all those
Medal of Honor, Vietnam War and Medal of Honor, Korea
on YouTube.

Too bad the Commonwealth, Canada or others don't have some of these types of documentaries.

mhrabak

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will definitely check them out.

I think I started to watch Prisoners of War. Is that the one in which the 2 Israeli teens were kidnapped/ killed?
Prisoners of War deals with an Israel group of soldiers that is kidnapped and held as POWs for 17 years--it is fantastic.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Prisoners of War deals with an Israel group of soldiers that is kidnapped and held as POWs for 17 years--it is fantastic.
I am definitely going to watch it. I already started on Fauda and Gomorrah. PoW costs $14. a season that is why I started on the other two.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have been watching all those
Medal of Honor, Vietnam War and Medal of Honor, Korea
on YouTube.

Too bad the Commonwealth, Canada or others don't have some of these types of documentaries.
Here ya go, three for the price of one.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The Catch-22 miniseries was shown on network TV here in Canada, and I missed it during its initial run. Home sick this week, I discovered it is streaming for free through the local cable.

Best thing I can say is that the production values are extremely high. Although, not sure audiences really require the sepia tint/color desaturation on World War II movies anymore. It worked for SPR but didn't really seem necessary here. It was like someone urinated on all the camera lenses.

I tried to read the book 20 years ago and found it tedious and repetitious. The 1970 movie I found so-so. The miniseries I find - mostly strange. They toned down some of the absurdism, which I thought was the whole point of the book. The script tackles the big questions of mortality, existence, etc., but for every thoughtful discussion or vignette, you get another big-lipped alligator moment, as if the series doesn't know what it wants to do. For example, Hugh Laurie is wasted in a thankless role that does nothing for the story.

But the crucial flaw of the series is there isn't a protagonist you can root for. Yossarian isn't the least bit likeable. We're introduced to him on parade, complaining about drill, and then we see him in bed with his C.O.'s wife. We never never learn anything else about him. He spends the whole series whining about having to do the same things everyone else is doing without complaint. He lies to avoid duty, fakes illnesses, and gets people killed through his selfishness.

Red2112

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Just finished the two seasons of Jack Ryan, and the movie. Really liked it, looking forward to new seasons. Then tried Treadstone, but the first ep. just didn´t click with me. Might revisit later on. Watched second season of Lost in Space but havent finished it. Just started The Expanse yesterday but fell asleep on the sofa LOL. I was tired. I´ll watch the first ep again. Me and the wife enjoyed Hotel Bates alot, told my sister and she was hooked too! It reminded me of when we got hooked to Twin Peaks on TV many years ago.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Good Eats
Cutthroat Kitchen
The Curse of Oak Island
Not really into non reality shows. The occasional 3rd Rock from the Sun but not much else in that vein. Had been into American Pickers from the beginning but they're starting to lose me.

The wife will watch all kinds of crime shows but can't watch Cutthroat Kitchen, it makes her tense. It makes me laugh and I like thinking about the sabotages from a gamers point of view. Btw Dave Ginnard's son is a chef in Cleveland and was on an episode, " The Cone Ranger ". First time I saw it I thought that one chef seemed awfully familiar, saw Dave at ASLOk and he said it was his son. It's a funny world.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I caught a few minutes of one episode by accident. What did you think of this? I remember watching the In Search Of episode on this, hosted by Leonard Nimoy, back in the 70's.
I've been watching since season 1, episode 1. First heard about the Money Pit as a kid and was fascinated by it. Ive always been a geek for mysteries like that, not so much the treasure but the history. Loved In Search Of.
Tuesday evening is the only night when I have to watch a specific show and COOI is it. Apparently I am not the only one as I believe it is the most popular reality show on TV, don't quote me on that.