Television: What shows are you currently watching?

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I broke out my copies of Combat to watch. Great over the top action. It ran in the 60's. In high school, I used to watch it late at night, while playing the original Squad Leader.
I actually watched the first season last year courtesy of Netflix and enjoyed it very much. The show had great leads (Vic Morrow and Ric Jason), excellent action, and a lot of really good guest stars. In fact I was very much surprised in one episode when out of nowhere a very young Walter Koenig shows up for a brief cameo. Also, the show was at times eerie, gothic even. Go figure? I really need to get the second season from Netflix, maybe after I finish Enterprise.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I actually watched the first season last year courtesy of Netflix and enjoyed it very much. The show had great leads (Vic Morrow and Ric Jason), excellent action, and a lot of really good guest stars. In fact I was very much surprised in one episode when out of nowhere a very young Walter Koenig shows up for a brief cameo. Also, the show was at times eerie, gothic even. Go figure? I really need to get the second season from Netflix, maybe after I finish Enterprise.
You will enjoy the "Enterprise" series.

The episodes are well worth the time spent watching them.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Watching True Detective on demand of late - am five epsiodes in. this show is brilliant! Wiritng, acting, plot - I can't stop watching/thinking about it. Anything that can mainstream the King in Yellow and lost Carcosa is a winner in my book. Great stuff here.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having a nostalgia trip. Man... thooose were the days... wow. Toonami was the sh*t back in the day. You watched it for the both the shows, their ads, and bumps. Great times.

[video=youtube_share;W0_ymAenMho]http://youtu.be/W0_ymAenMho[/video]

DBZ, Big O, Tenchi, Gundam, Zoids, Outlaw Star, Ronin Warriors, Yu Yu Hakusho, aaahhhh...

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Watched the first disk of Star Trek: Enterprise, and I'm happy to say that I'm liking it now much more than when it first aired. Maybe it's because I've been playing a lot of Star Trek Online. For one thing I think Bakula was perfect casting as Archer. Very likeable, not too cerebral, but no dummy either. Ditto for Joline Blalock who plays a very straight laced and conservative Vulcan, though I do think the writers went out of their way to make the early Vulcans seem rather narrow-minded and parochial. I would add as a mild negative that as was usually the case with the Rick Berman Trek shows, the minor characters and extras come off to me seeming rather cardboard and cliched much of the time. Also, the decontamination scene with T'Pol and Tripp was very much a cheap shot, though a cheap shot is better than none I guess. ;) Oh, and I'm sorry to say that the main theme to the show has to be the worst main theme in the entire history of the IP, movies as well as series. To me it sounded like an even more trite and cliched version of 'Up Where We Belong'.

Anyway, I definitely look forward to watching more of the series. As I recall I bailed about half-way through the first season, so needless to say I have a lot of catching up to do.

Last edited:

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, and I'm sorry to say that the main theme to the show has to be the worst main theme in the entire history of the IP, movies as well as series. To me it sounded like an even more trite and cliched version of 'Up Where We Belong'.
I dunno what they were thinking and whose final decision it was to use a terrible Rod Stewart song from Patch Adams as the main theme song...it just gets every episode off to a bad start, and it's almost reason enough to avoid watching the series entirely (which is a shame.) Fortunately, if one has the DVDs, one can simply hit the "next chapter" button on the remote at the appropriate time, skip the whole song, and pretend it was never there.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished 'Terra Nova' and 'The Andorian Incident' from Star Trek: Enterprise.

First the bad news: I thought Terra Nova was weak. I mean, cardboard and cliched supporting cast (the bane of the Rick Berman Trek shows), and much if it looks as if it was filmed in some grassland outside LA. Also, I dislike how they seem to be going out of their way to make the Vulcans in general and T'Pol in particular such uncooperative and parochial jerks. In fact this may have been the episode that caused me to bail from the series when it was originally aired.

The good news: I loved The Andorian Incident. I did not see the twist at the end coming at all, and it just blew me away. Also, these Andorians were definitely not the comical ones in 'Journey to Babel' from TOS. These guys were tough customers and meant business! (and definitely an exception to my above complaint about the generally cardboard and cliched supporting casts) Great writing in this episode. Also, I've been to the monastary at P'Jem any number of times in Star Trek Online, and had wondered what episode that came from. Now I know.

BTW, almost forgot to mention. That scene from 'Unexpected' where the Klingons were ridiculing the pregnant Tripp was priceless! :laugh:

By an interesting coincidence, I recently got this Enterprise-era Mirror Universe science ship from an STO lockbox, and it is pretty sweet as pay-to-win ships go. ;)
View attachment 45956

Last edited:

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow - Game of Thrones just keeps getting better and better. The Batle at teh wall alst night was simply epic - cinema like in a way I never thought possible on TV before.

Been follwoing this franchise for almost twenty years - Benioff and Wise might be doing a better job wiht this material than GRRM did originally.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ChrisM's post made me look at this thread.

Just watched the first episode of American Horror Story on Netflix. Surprisingly compelling!

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Wow - Game of Thrones just keeps getting better and better. The Batle at teh wall alst night was simply epic - cinema like in a way I never thought possible on TV before.

Been follwoing this franchise for almost twenty years - Benioff and Wise might be doing a better job wiht this material than GRRM did originally.
It was OK until that pathetic scene were Ygritte buys it. Cheese all the way.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been working my way slowly through Kolchak: The Night Stalker, Season 2 of Supernatural, and just started the pilot episode for X-Files (I show I've been wanting to watch for a long time).

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been working my way slowly through Kolchak: The Night Stalker, Season 2 of Supernatural, and just started the pilot episode for X-Files (I show I've been wanting to watch for a long time).
The Night Stalker was great. There will never be another actor like Darin McGavin.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Night Stalker was great. There will never be another actor like Darin McGavin.
I agree! It's a very fun show. It's actually a better representation of what the Dresden Files could have been as a TV show (and both take place in Chicago as well!). Funnily enough, I always knew him as the dad in A Christmas Story so I've been enjoying him a lot in this show. It's great because it has a lot more detective work where he does research, asks questions, and tries to save people. He's not like the powerhouses in Supernatural who exterminate the supernatural for a living.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Night Tsalker was my bar none, top favorite show growing up.

I caught him on re-runs in the late Seventies and have been a fan ever since.

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kolchack: The Night Stalker was a very fun and entertaining show for the first part of its run. It really falls apart near the end, which is why McGavin was more than happy to give up on it.
X-Files...just try to make it through the absurd first 2 seasons and avoid the final 2. In between, it's a superb show. Don't forget about Millenium, it's well-worth watching. Lone Gunmen, another show in the X-Files universe, had great promise and started well, but became a total bore very quickly.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Night Stalker - The show was great fun, though it did suffer a bit from each episode following a standard formula a bit too closely. It's interesting to note that the show was produced by Dan Curtis, also known for producing the original Dark Shadows and Winds of War/War and Remembrance.

X-Files - I left this at the end of season 4. I really need to try to finish it someday. Many of the stories were really good, and the regular cast had great chemistry. Also really liked Skinner and the smoker. On a related note, the more recent Fringe was a shameless X-Files ripoff and I hated it.

Lone Gunman - These guys were really a piece of work, being as they were sort of conservative anti-establishment hippies. Also liked Zuleikah Robinson, who later had a memorable role in the Rome series. I agree though that although their occasional appearance in the X-Files was cool, they didn't quite have enough gravitas to carry a show on their own. I would also add that I never really cared for Byers, as he always came off seeming a bit too self-righteous and smug to me. Come to think of it, the infamous 911 episode on hindsight was oddly prescient, spooky even.

Last edited:

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Continuing my rewatch of the Star Trek universe. Currently on DS9 Season 4, disk 3. Trying to appreciate it more the second time around, but I still get that nagging feeling that Babylon 5 set the pace in this space race. Still, this 4th Season got off to a very good start, at least until it hit the comedy episodes. I still can't accept that Rom, surely the dumbest Ferengi around, suddenly became an expert on everything (such as warp drives) and could fix technical/mechanical problems just as well as O'Brien could. They should've brought in a different Ferengi character for all of this. But, it's been a good watch for most of the episodes. I epecially like the plot thread concerning the Shadows...sorry, I mean the Changelings...infiltrating Earth and setting the stage for a civil war.

Also, which has been in my Netflix queue a very long time, I've finally started watching Boardwalk Empire. I'm not a fan of the mobster genre at all, but I'm giving it a shot, at least through the first season. But if it's just the usual story about greedy immigrants fighting over booze, gambling and whores and rubbing each other out, I probably won't keep going with it for very long.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I purchased and started watching the He-Man series that came out in 2002. I never watched the original cartoon but I'm enjoying the hell out of this one. So far it has a usual formula for having He-Man appear but I do hope it begins moving past that as it seemed to be dropping hints here and there for development in that department. Also, the voice acting is just great! I know one of the guys totally reminds me of Sean Connery lmao!

[video=youtube;67215zbSNQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67215zbSNQ4[/video]

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started both Star Trek the original series Season 1 as well as just finished (moments ago) episode 1 of Stargate SG-1. Both were a LOT of fun! Only reason why I never went after SG-1 is that it was so far in that I wasn't sure if I should bother picking it up thinking it may have a long continuous story type of thing. I already liked episode 1 a helluva lot more than the movie which was totally 'meh' to me. Also I have enjoyed the first 6 episodes of Star Trek. It is really cool to watch these characters I've heard so much about throughout my life (as a son of a Trekkie [mom] and a sci-fi fan) doing the things that have made them legends. Like Sulu chasing everyone around with a saber, seeing the Vulcan neck pinch for the first time and Kirk remarking that Spock should teach him sometime, and more. Great stuff. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it. I tried The Next Generation a while back but stopped because it was just... so cheesy from the get go. The original series is sooo much different. I'm personally looking forward to picking that back up and working my way through Voyager and Deep Space 9. I grew up on Voyager so I'm looking forward to rewatching that rather excitedly.

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stargate SG-1 is often dismissed by fans of the genre, but it's in fact quite good. At first, the series is both very derivative and very original at the same time. R.D. Anderson really makes the early seasons worth watching, giving the series a freshness that hasn't been around since the first Star Trek series. The show builds quite a universe around itself as it goes along, but it never gets so dense as to be a chore to watch. I rewatched the first season a few weeks ago, mostly because I had rewatched the under-appreciated film.