Television: What shows are you currently watching?

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I agree JoKippe, you could tell that both DS9 and Voyager were getting a bit thin after a while. Anyway, one reason I wanted to see Enterprise was that I know that was the show that introduced the Undine. You encounter those guys rather frequently in Star Trek Online.

Speaking of Trek, I felt the first Abrams reboot movie was kind of mediocre, not bad but not great either. Shoot me though, but I really enjoyed Into Darkness. To my mind the chemistry between Kirk, Spock, and Bones was better in the second than in the first.

One more Trek blurb: In going through TOS second season remasters, just watched Metamorphosis, and I'd forgotten what a nice, touching, sentimental story that was. It isn't often that sentimental/romantic stories work very well in scifi, and that little gem was one of the better examples.
You say you watched the TOS episode "Who Mourns For Apollo." You should check this out. You will love the guest star!

[video=youtube;3G-ziTBAkbQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ[/video]

I thought DS9 to the the superior 'Trek. Not being able to fly off to the next week meant problems didn't go away as easy as they did for the ship based episodes.

Enterprise had everything except good scripts. They had a wonderful opportunity to see the Feds meet, say, the Klingons for the first time but instead they just had one running about on Earth on a farm in the first episode. That third season Xindi story arc was so very lame it killed the show. I really liked Jolene Blalok as well.

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm also rewatching DS9 in my spare spare time and I'm in the middle of Season 2. I dismissed it as the weakest Trek series after I saw it for the first time, but I had a lot of personal complaints as I watched through it. For one thing, a great deal of it was stolen from J. Michael Straczynski, who wound up making the far-superior Babylon 5 (and Paramount narrowly dodged a lawsuit over the matter.) Another thing was when Ronald D. Moore stole some of his own DS9 plot threads and recycled them for Battlestar Galactica (and they were done better on BG.) And the most ridiculous--and useless--main character of any Trek series appeared on DS9 (and I'm referring to Lt. Jadzia Dax!) Maybe I'll have better thoughts about DS9 after I've watched all 7 seasons again. I do like the Quark character...but then again, my eyes will probably start rolling when I have to sit through all that Mirror Universe crapola again.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have discovered on Netflix the old Fox series called, "Nikita".

One hot babe is trying to take on the "clandestine" unit called the "Division".

If you want to know who the lead actress is, Google "Maggie Q". You will then get to see who she is.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm also rewatching DS9 in my spare spare time and I'm in the middle of Season 2. I dismissed it as the weakest Trek series after I saw it for the first time, but I had a lot of personal complaints as I watched through it. For one thing, a great deal of it was stolen from J. Michael Straczynski, who wound up making the far-superior Babylon 5 (and Paramount narrowly dodged a lawsuit over the matter.) Another thing was when Ronald D. Moore stole some of his own DS9 plot threads and recycled them for Battlestar Galactica (and they were done better on BG.) And the most ridiculous--and useless--main character of any Trek series appeared on DS9 (and I'm referring to Lt. Jadzia Dax!) Maybe I'll have better thoughts about DS9 after I've watched all 7 seasons again. I do like the Quark character...but then again, my eyes will probably start rolling when I have to sit through all that Mirror Universe crapola again.
But Dax is hot. What's wrong with you? :)

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Did you not see the episode where Dax and the three TOS era Klingon Captains went after the Albino?

The "DS9 is a copy of Bab Five" argument is and always was crap.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was never a big Dax fan. I always got her confused with Susan Ivanova (Claudia Christian) from Babylon Five, whom I liked a lot better. Speaking of B5, the first couple seasons (up to the end of the Shadow War) blew DS9 out of the water. BTW, if any of you have played Skyrim or Guild Wars 2, Claudia does a lot of voice work in those two games.

Trev, you make a good point about how the problems don't go away as easily in DS9, but for me the jury is still out on that series. I have the first season, and some of the episodes were great, like Past Prologue (gotta love the Sisters Duras), Progress (Keira learns what it's like when the shoe is on the other foot), and the one about the Cardassian war criminal. Some were dreadful though, like the one where O'Brien plays a shaman, and the episode with Vash had to be the worst Q story ever.

BTW, although I mostly liked Avery Brooks in the show, I saw him on a talk show years ago. Not only was he rather pompous in an ethnocentric sort of way (Black culture this, Black culture that) but the camera was constantly catching him lustily eying Nana Vistor's legs like some dog in heat! lol

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was never a big Dax fan. I always got her confused with Susan Ivanova (Claudia Christian) from Babylon Five, whom I liked a lot better. Speaking of B5, the first couple seasons (up to the end of the Shadow War) blew DS9 out of the water. BTW, if any of you have played Skyrim or Guild Wars 2, Claudia does a lot of voice work in those two games.

Trev, you make a good point about how the problems don't go away as easily in DS9, but for me the jury is still out on that series. I have the first season, and some of the episodes were great, like Past Prologue (gotta love the Sisters Duras), Progress (Keira learns what it's like when the shoe is on the other foot), and the one about the Cardassian war criminal. Some were dreadful though, like the one where O'Brien plays a shaman, and the episode with Vash had to be the worst Q story ever.

BTW, although I mostly liked Avery Brooks in the show, I saw him on a talk show years ago. Not only was he rather pompous in an ethnocentric sort of way (Black culture this, Black culture that) but the camera was constantly catching him lustily eying Nana Vistor's legs like some dog in heat! lol
Early DS9 is very different from what they do when they explore Cardassia better and even more so when they fight the Klingons. Klingon portraits are very good in the later parts of DS9.

Very radial changes. Just like Voyager went from random to a close focus on the Borg (and ex-Borg).

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah Red and Trev, like I said, I almost completely missed out on the later seasons of DS9 and the Voyager Borg focus, though I do remember Jeri Ryan in the short-lived retro X-File clone series called Dark Skies. I do need to get caught up on the Cardassian/Dominion war, as they feature prominently in Star Trek Online. Also, although I did like many in the Voyager cast (B'Elena, Paris, and Tuvok), I was never a big fan of Kate Mulgrew. I also tend to credit what one critic wrote about how Voyager botched more rescues than Gilligan's Island. lol

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah Red and Trev, like I said, I almost completely missed out on the later seasons of DS9 and the Voyager Borg focus, though I do remember Jeri Ryan in the short-lived retro X-File clone series called Dark Skies. I do need to get caught up on the Cardassian/Dominion war, as they feature prominently in Star Trek Online. Also, although I did like many in the Voyager cast (B'Elena, Paris, and Tuvok), I was never a big fan of Kate Mulgrew. I also tend to credit what one critic wrote about how Voyager botched more rescues than Gilligan's Island. lol
Yeah. Both the Captain and the original premise (try to get home but not convincingly so) are a problem for Voyager.

However, when they explore the Borg aspect, and do so with the help of Seven of Nine, the series really picks up a lot. It isn't just Jeri Ryan being pretty. She plays the part of "why did you blow them up?" - "they didn't respond to diplomacy" part very well.

In DS9 the Domonion aspect itself is kind of bogus, I think the Klingon aspect carries it forward.

I can definitely say that if you have watched the first seasons of both and survived you will enjoy the second halves more.

I should actually put some steam behind my ST:O playing... But I just watched Star Trek: Nemesis and I am all treked out for a while. Bleh.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah. Both the Captain and the original premise (try to get home but not convincingly so) are a problem for Voyager.

However, when they explore the Borg aspect, and do so with the help of Seven of Nine, the series really picks up a lot. It isn't just Jeri Ryan being pretty. She plays the part of "why did you blow them up?" - "they didn't respond to diplomacy" part very well.

In DS9 the Domonion aspect itself is kind of bogus, I think the Klingon aspect carries it forward.

I can definitely say that if you have watched the first seasons of both and survived you will enjoy the second halves more.

I should actually put some steam behind my ST:O playing... But I just watched Star Trek: Nemesis and I am all treked out for a while. Bleh.
I finished the Voyager series and started the Next Generation. But got burned out by the end of the 8th episode...... I did watch the Nemesis movie before watching the Next Generation, but then remembered the small series called "Enterprise"......

Now those characters were awesome......

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finished the Voyager series and started the Next Generation. But got burned out by the end of the 8th episode...... I did watch the Nemesis movie before watching the Next Generation, but then remembered the small series called "Enterprise"......

Now those characters were awesome......
TNG is very famous but let's face it, the first 1.5-2 seasons are really rough on the viewer.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
TNG is very famous but let's face it, the first 1.5-2 seasons are really rough on the viewer.
Yes. Side from "Measure of a Man" they were poor.

Kev. I Highly recommend picking up TNG from series three. It was at the time 1989 the best TV show anywhere.

Last edited:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes. Side from "Measure of a Man" they were poor.

Kev. I Highly recommend picking up TNG from series three. It was at the time 1989 the best TV show anywhere.
Thanks for the information Trev.

Some may think I am "Spamming" this thread with this post.

I have placed them on my "Ignore List"......

Also, if you get the chance, the US series called "Nikita" is well worth the viewing, if not for the "violence, gun-fire and espionage", then the "eye-candy" works wonders.....
(Season 1 has me locked into the view for a good episode every night).

ActionBurk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really? I always thought that season 2 was pretty good. Very much prefer Pulaski over Crusher as Ship's Doctor.

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really? I always thought that season 2 was pretty good. Very much prefer Pulaski over Crusher as Ship's Doctor.
You might be the only one that does think that. Season 2 was crippled by the writers' strike and tensions on the set...the season starts off with a recycled script and ends with a clip show. There are definitely a few good episodes scattered through the season, but it's a waste as a whole.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I broke out my copies of Combat to watch. Great over the top action. It ran in the 60's. In high school, I used to watch it late at night, while playing the original Squad Leader.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I broke out my copies of Combat to watch. Great over the top action. It ran in the 60's. In high school, I used to watch it late at night, while playing the original Squad Leader.
What was really painful was that Combat was cut at the same time that the Ed Sullivan Show, Captain Kangaroo were also cancelled.

I got a few of these "Patrols" in a collections from a visit to Germany in 2007. I was surprised that the PX actually stocked these, because the PC police were still running amuck in the military realms.....