Television: What shows are you currently watching?

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The only way you can get TV in my area now is by cable. All TV in my area now is encrypted. Me, a 50 year old, ain't going to start asking permision if I can or can not watch TV, and I'm sure to hell ain't gunna start paying for it. Even though basic cable is free, your still paying for it because your told to buy things.
OK right. Commercial only TV. I understand.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished the Matt Smith Doctor Who series (not counting the Christmas Special, which I expect to get to in a few weeks), and I have to admit that I thought it ended on a strong note. The last few episodes were very good, especially the Western and 'The Angels Take Manhattan' finale. One thing I really liked was all the philosophizing that Smith did late in his series, at times reminding me of my favorite Doctor, Peter Davison. Although I never disliked Matt Smith, I always thought his series was a step down from Tennant and Eccleston, but now that he's almost done I think I'm going to miss him. Ditto for Amy and Rory. After being mostly disappointed with the direction creative director Steven Moffat took the series after taking over from Russel T. Davies, he seemed to get on track late in the Matt Smith series.

Last edited:

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gosh, just found out from IMDB how behind I am on the Doctor. There's still a whole additional season to go with Matt Smith, and Netflix doesn't appear to have it yet. Oh well, I hope this final Matt Smith season is as consistently good as the last few episodes I saw.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I watched the first season of House of Cards over the past few weeks on Netflix. Very good, Kevin Spacy does an excellent job. Season 2 starts tomorrow.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished watching season 1 of Archer and am watching episode 3 of season two at this moment. Sooo much fun!!

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just started the second season remastered Star Trek Original Series, and frankly I'm amazed how well it holds up. The remastering makes it looks much less dated than it is. Also, of the three episodes I've watched so far, there have been two A's (Amok Time and The Changeling), and one B (Who Mourns for Adonais?). Not only was Amok Time a great Theodore Sturgeon story, but it did much to establish the fabled Vulcan lore. The Changeling was later rebooted as Star Trek: The Motion Picture, with somewhat mixed results. Concerning Adonais, it's interesting to note that the girl was played by Leslie Parrish, who also played Raymond Shaw's ill-fated young wife in The Manchurian Candidate.

I would also add that although there have been many, many beautiful ladies in all the Trek series and movies over the years, I still give the nod to those beauties from ST:TOS in their mini-dresses. ;)

Last edited:

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been watching the new HBO series "True Detective". Interesting story with Woody Harlson and Matthew McChanehey(sp?).

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I completed a TV series on Netflix, that appeared on the FOX Network in the early 2000s.

"Space: Above and Beyond".

I really only caught a few minutes of some episodes when it was on TV, so I got a Youtube clip and then saw Netflix had the entire series.

Just awesome how the writers tried to copy how the War in the Pacific could be brought to Outer Space.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I completed a TV series on Netflix, that appeared on the FOX Network in the early 2000s.

"Space: Above and Beyond".

I really only caught a few minutes of some episodes when it was on TV, so I got a Youtube clip and then saw Netflix had the entire series.

Just awesome how the writers tried to copy how the War in the Pacific could be brought to Outer Space.
OMG! I have this show on DVD, and it is amazing! I highly recommend it. Great and engaging cast, excellent CGI, and a very creepy alien nemesis. Like the other great FOX scifi show Firefly, this one should have gone more than one season.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OMG! I have this show on DVD, and it is amazing! I highly recommend it. Great and engaging cast, excellent CGI, and a very creepy alien nemesis. Like the other great FOX scifi show Firefly, this one should have gone more than one season.
Alright. Sounds like I need to watch this show... sadly I cannot find it on Netflix.

Last edited:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then go to Youtube and you should see it there as well.
Yeah that's where I found episode 2-the last episode. From what I read, it seems like Fox was again the main culprit for ruining another solid science fiction show.

I'm still working my way through Archer and by god is this show hilarious.

I also discovered a very cool show that was aired in Russia in 2011/2012 that covered the entire war on the Easter Front. Very fun show to watch and does not appear to entirely pull its punches. Known as Soviet Storm (I think).
[video=youtube;0A6UWkK2U4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A6UWkK2U4s&list=PLnNmfyY_ccRHl0yAJZy3r5Nfq2-Xr22di&index=2[/video]

Also I've been slowly working my way through the Battlefield series which, I must say, is superb. A very well done look at World War Two covering major battles and or campaigns. It does this by providing lots of context of the overall situation, leaders of both sides, equipment, etc.
[video=youtube_share;wbKYbLUkIpk]http://youtu.be/wbKYbLUkIpk[/video]

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just watched the Guadalcanal episode of Battlefield and was a bit disappointed. It was less about Guadalcanal and more about the entire Pacific Theater from start to finish. Battlefield is excellent when it focuses on a single battle (such as the Kursk episode), but an hour isn't enough time to go into any detail about campaigns that lasted years. The Monte Cassino episode was actually about the entire Italian campaign and disappointing as well.

I think Archer really hits its stride in Season 3, and Season 4 is the best yet.

I'm also watching Game of Thrones Season 3. So far, the first 2 episodes have been pretty dull, with not much happening. I hope the ball gets rolling soon...

On the other hand, I just finished Season 1 of Vikings. Great looking show, but everything happens so fast and most every plot thread is finished without much buildup...there's almost no anticipation for the next episode after finishing the one before it.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah JoKippe, like everyone else I was thoroughly engaged by the first season of Thrones, but thought the series took a serious nose dive in the second season. I don't know, I guess I'll get to Season Three eventually, but it's not high on my list of priorities. In any event I'm glad that the hype for the show (and books) seems to have subsided a bit.

I am, however, going to watch the Enterprise series from Netflix soon. Only saw the first season. Come to think of it, the only Rick Berman Trek series I saw in its entirety was Next Gen. I missed that whole Dominion/Cardassian War in Deep Space Nine, and hardly remember the widely-admired Seven of Nine from Voyager.

Last edited:

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still feel that Enterprise was too underappreciated by most fans. On a creative level, it was the strongest Trek series since TNG. The studio had been stretched really thin during the DS9/Voyager years, having to make 2 ongoing series and several feature films all at the same time. But they were able to devote a lot more time to Enterprise, and I think that it had a certain quality that had been missing from Trek for a number of years.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enterprise really sucked in the latter half.

It was also ruined right from the start when somebody dictated that it needs, in the pilot (a) a mass fistfight and (b) bathing babes. Both not very Trek.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Archer really hits its stride in Season 3, and Season 4 is the best yet.
I just started Season 3 so I'll see how it goes but so far it's been great fun.

And very true about some of the episodes of the Battlefield series. A bit hit and miss but even if they spend more time covering a campaign during an episode billed for one battle I still felt they were pretty solid nonetheless. So far my favorites have been the one on the Battle of France and North Africa. Sadly, I've only been able to watch it in the evening/night and end up falling asleep as I'm pretty tired by that point lol.

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enterprise really sucked in the latter half.

It was also ruined right from the start when somebody dictated that it needs, in the pilot (a) a mass fistfight and (b) bathing babes. Both not very Trek.
Hmmm....seems like I remember a few brawls and fistfights in the original series. As far as bathing babes, perhaps it would have been in better taste to have even more Orion slavegirl scenes instead ;)

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree JoKippe, you could tell that both DS9 and Voyager were getting a bit thin after a while. Anyway, one reason I wanted to see Enterprise was that I know that was the show that introduced the Undine. You encounter those guys rather frequently in Star Trek Online.

Speaking of Trek, I felt the first Abrams reboot movie was kind of mediocre, not bad but not great either. Shoot me though, but I really enjoyed Into Darkness. To my mind the chemistry between Kirk, Spock, and Bones was better in the second than in the first.

One more Trek blurb: In going through TOS second season remasters, just watched Metamorphosis, and I'd forgotten what a nice, touching, sentimental story that was. It isn't often that sentimental/romantic stories work very well in scifi, and that little gem was one of the better examples.

Last edited: