Television: What shows are you currently watching?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Best series never aired: WonderFalls (cancelled by Fox after three 'sodes). Caroline Dharvinas is . . . uggghhh.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rockford Files reruns.
Seen them too often. One of the first shows I was allowed to watch after 9pm. Watched them on my dad's 10" b&w portable TV in my bedroom (on Friday nights?).

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finally succumbed to Game of Thrones.
I gave up after four seasons (during a free weekend of HBO). I do not think it a very good series. I'd say it's like a US soap opera with violence and sex and magic. Pointless.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished Stranger Things, seasons one and two. I enjoyed it, but overall I'd say it's consciously derivative, nostalgic and full of plot holes. With a lot of lazy writing, and wasted scenes (trying to drag out 30 minutes worth of plot to 50 minutes of show).

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm talking about series that are currently running on TV, not old stuff from way back. I'm looking for some new stuff to watch, so what's good?

Right now I'm watching Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, and Spartacus.
Just finished watching 'The Body Guard' bloody good stuff.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finally succumbed to Game of Thrones. I got myself a 7 season set as a birthday treat. I gave up on TV (5+?) years ago when my set died and a year or two later terrestrial broadcasting of TV ceased in Ireland.

I rarely buy TV series. The first for me was Battle Star Galactica and subsequent sets have been 4 seasons of Luther (Idris Elba) and the complete Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett version) originally broadcast in the '80s-'90s. And that all. I used to buy a film about once a month or two pretty regularly (when they got cheap ;)) but these days its one or two a year, the last two were the 2 John Wicks, the Hobbit being the last 'big' bundles.

So what broke my resistance? Simply Youtube clips which impressed me both with the acting quality and grubby production realism. While I have read trunk loads of SciFi, fantasy is not really my bucket of swill.

Before anyone suggests, I will not read the books. I have had to many cases of bad transfers from book to screen. The few screen versions that did not disappoint were those that were only vaguely based upon short stories or similar, eg Blade Runner. I would simply be going "That's not what happened in the book, BASTARDS!" and it would kill the book or screen version or both for me.
Tried the Expanse yet? Very good.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Tried the Expanse yet? Very good.
No. I'm afraid I'm unlikely to buy a big series for a few years yet. I still have about 20 unwatched DVDs in my viewing queue, some from 5 years ago.

I no longer have the concentration for binge watching. As I type I have just watched half a GoT episode (E8, S4 on VLC), checked back here on GS and will resume the GoT episode shortly. It has taken me over 5 weeks to nearly finish 4 seasons, though I did go through 5-6 episodes in under two days, but that is rare for me.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No. I'm afraid I'm unlikely to buy a big series for a few years yet. I still have about 20 unwatched DVDs in my viewing queue, some from 5 years ago.

I no longer have the concentration for binge watching. As I type I have just watched half a GoT episode (E8, S4 on VLC), checked back here on GS and will resume the GoT episode shortly. It has taken me over 5 weeks to nearly finish 4 seasons, though I did go through 5-6 episodes in under two days, but that is rare for me.
If you have Amazon Prime you can watch it free - they have all 3 seasons. Through a good bit of first book. Glad Amazon picked it up too - probably get to see all of the books - a lot.