Television: what shows are you currently watching?

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a trailer of Farscape... it's a bit long and I suggest start watching at 1 minute in. Though it does give part of the first episode away it's the best one I could find.
[video=youtube;QWG5e0u6SPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWG5e0u6SPQ[/video]

Pdqport

1st Caveman Superhero
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've tried watching Farscape 2-3 times now and haven't been able to stick with it. Not sure why. I really want to like it (Claudia Black alone should make it worthwhile) but I keep moving on to something else. Now that I've finished re-watching all 11 seasons of Cheers (it became something of a personal mission) I'm going to give Farscape another chance. Maybe if I can make it out of the first season, I'll stay with it.

Season 4 of Sons of Anarchy just wrapped, and it was pretty wild. There was some deus ex machina at the end, but I can forgive it because the season as a whole was quite good.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hear that in seasons 2-3 things really pick up. Essentially, as I take it, season one was a setup for the following seasons.

Oh... and x2 about Claudia Black... hubba hubba :yummy:

Pdqport

1st Caveman Superhero
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I've seen bits of the later seasons and they seemed more interesting/exciting. Once Scorpius becomes the main antagonist, I guess.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Claudia Black? That woman is not attractive at all! Whatsoever!
I'm weak to women with dark hair and enormous......amounts of intellect.......

Yeah, I've seen bits of the later seasons and they seemed more interesting/exciting. Once Scorpius becomes the main antagonist, I guess.
Yeah Scorpius indeed seems like he could be a good bad guy. I just really like how the episodes tie in together rather well... even if it comes up later in the season they were able to make it all fit.

snipss

Recruit
Reaction score
Sons of Anarchy is my favorite show right now! I hear they are now in development for a new game they are creating. It should be awesome....

They just released Official Sons of Anarchy Jackets for sale with the real patches on them. Not just the biker kind but Fan jackets for Sons of Anarchy. I cant wait to get mine.

I think Sons of Anarchy has a long lifespan ... something like the Sapranos but bikers....

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sons of Anarchy is my favorite show right now! I hear they are now in development for a new game they are creating. It should be awesome....

They just released Official Sons of Anarchy Jackets for sale with the real patches on them. Not just the biker kind but Fan jackets for Sons of Anarchy. I cant wait to get mine.

I think Sons of Anarchy has a long lifespan ... something like the Sapranos but bikers....
Well - I think the wroter ahs a defintie sotry arc mapped out adn teh sakrespearean theme will come full circle and pay off in blood. From what I am reading - there may be only two seasons left and Kurt will wrap all this up in Season Six.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Game of Thrones is the only new drama I'm watching. Excellent.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished watching the first season of Deep Space 9. It has of course been many years since I've watched the show, and I think for the most part it holds up well notwithstanding a few dogs like the dreadful 'Move Along Home' and 'Q-Less' (the worst Q story ever). I did especially like, however, 'Duet' (parallels to the WW2 death camps), 'Past Prologue' (with the hilarious Klingon sisters Duras), and 'In the Hands of the Prophets' ("It seems Vedick that the prophets not only taught you patience, but politics as well." lol)

I've also been watching the old, old Dark Shadows series from Netflix. Say what you will about it being an old soap opera, it was great Gothic horror and Jonathan Frid as Barnabus Collins was the best vampire ever. It is far, far better than the Vampire Diaries or Twilight, which are basically teenage angst with fangs. Also, not sure I want to see the recent Tim Burton movie at the theater, which is a comic take on the old series.

Finally, I also recently watched the first season of 'Fringe' and hated it. Terrible acting, worse writing, and a total ripoff of the X-Files. I could learn to loath JJ Abrams.

Last edited:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just finished watching the first season of Deep Space 9. It has of course been many years since I've watched the show, and I think for the most part it holds up well notwithstanding a few dogs like the dreadful 'Move Along Home' and 'Q-Less' (the worst Q story ever). I did especially like, however, 'Duet' (parallels to the WW2 death camps), 'Past Prologue' (with the hilarious Klingon sisters Duras), and 'In the Hands of the Prophets' ("It seems Vedick that the prophets not only taught you patience, but politics as well." lol)

I've also been watching the old, old Dark Shadows series from Netflix. Say what you will about it being an old soap opera, it was great Gothic horror and Jonathon Frid as Barnabus Collins was the best vampire ever. It is far, far better than the Vampire Diaries, which is basically teenage angst with fangs. Also, not sure I want to see the recent Tim Burton movie, which is a comic take on the old series. Probably wait for Netflix.

Finally, I also recently watched the first season of 'Fringe' and hated it. Terrible acting, worse writing, and a total ripoff of the X-Files. I could learn to loath JJ Abrams.
DS9 is the better of the three sequels to the original. Unlike TNG and Voyager it never had that need for awkward first seasons to find itself - it hit the ground running. My season 1 favourite is also Duet - basically a talking heads episode, but what performances!

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well said Trev. I agree completely in that DS9 did indeed hit the ground running. I was also very pleasantly surprised with what a great job Avery Brooks did as Sisco. He was very much a strong and serious father figure, much like Picard. Also, Fallout New Vegas fans may have recognized Rene 'Odo' Auberjonois doing the voice of the venerable Robert Edwin House.

BTW, I also loved the first season episode called 'Progress'. I found it to be rather moving and touching, and very powerful stuff. After all her years as a freedom fighter, Kira got a taste of what it was like to be part of the evil empire, in a manner of speaking. Also, it was great seeing the old actor Brian Keith in that episode.

Last edited:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow... I haven't watched that show in years... almost forgot about it. I mostly remember watching Voyager (my mom's favorite) while growing up and vaguely remember Deep Space 9. I'm also gonna have to start checking out Dark Shadows (my mom also said it was really good and she'd try to watch it every time it aired).

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah Kawaiku, I highly recommend the old Dark Shadows. It has to be the oddest, most unusual thing ever to grace daytime television. Vampire Barnabus Collins is a great angst-ridden character who usually (though not always) tries to do the right thing despite being a vampire. Also, the show is a whirlwind trip through the world of the occult and supernatural, without necessarily glorifying those things. The special effects required by the show admittedly were sometimes a bit cheesy, but they were often quite good too. I would also mention that the show does take some patience, simply because being a soap opera the writers intentionally try to drag the stories out as much as possible. This is because statistics have shown that most daytime soap fans only watch the show twice a week on average.

An interesting piece of trivia: Other than Dark Shadows, producer Dan Curtis is best known for the Winds of War and War and Remembrance miniseries. Curtis also did a great version of Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde staring Jack Palance.

Last edited:

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started watching Last Man Standing on ABC on Tuesday evenings. Always been a Tim Allen fan and the show writing is pretty darn funny. To top it off it is set in Denver and he has three daughters, so it has some personal relevance.