Ted Turner backs out of the Last Full Measure

Chuck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree Gods and Generals wasn't a good film. The characters were very uninteresting and one-dimensional, most scenes were over dramatic, over long, and over done, and the battlefield scenes were quite uninspiring. I do want to watch a good film about Stonewall Jackson or the War of Northern Aggression. This one wasn't it.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
This article is highly informative, well researched, and echoes some of the same points I have made here time and again. Gods & Generals may be entertaining at times, but it is revisionist claptrap of the worst sort. This author, a southern Republican and conservative columnist, quite correctly points it out.
What I am saying is that G&G is very much like Gone with the Wind, that is, not a prim and proper investigation into the CSA, but a romanticized vision of the popularly imagined South of long ago. People love that stuff, be they Northerners or Southrons. It is sort of like Middle Earth to the English---sure it never existed en toto, but it represents everything that is romanticized about medieval England / Europe. G&G and GwtW expresses the same idea---it is American folklore. I believe that was what Maxwell was going for and provides an explanation for all the long-winded speeches about States' Rights as well as the copious religious fervor. That is also why I believe that G&G should not be compared to Gettysburg, but to Gone with the Wind. G&G and GwtW are very much birds of afeather---romanticized notions of a period long ago....

"There was a land of
Cavaliers and Cotton Fields
called the Old South...

Here in this pretty world
Gallantry took its last bow...

Here was the last ever to
be seen of Knights and their
Ladies Fair, of Master and of
Slave...

Look for it only in books,
for it is no more than a
dream remembered.