Team Fortress 2

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I have a new passion in life! :D

[video=youtube;xBoRLr3kgtU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=xBoRLr3kgtU[/video]

I never realized how huge this game is. I mean, I've come across plenty of news reports about TF2 "hats" and stuff like that, but I never knew the game had evolved from a popular F2P title to a cult that has spawned graphic novels, clothing, action figures and videos like the above. I mean, I am finding tons of stuff like this around the internet!

Yeah, I am very late to the party. Man, where have I been....:eek:

Anybody play TF2 around these parts?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another good one:

[video=youtube;hjnA4TtYjwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hjnA4TtYjwM[/video]

I find it fascinating how the fanbase created an entire mythology for the game. The characters, companies, equipment...it all has a backstory now (that I am eagerly learning about since some of it is so strange :)).

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still play once in a while. But, by not staying current; you don't have a lot of the upgraded weapons and stuff putting you at a slight disadvantage. You can have some fun games with the new maps and stuff which keep the game kinda fresh after 12 years or so of being around.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still play once in a while. But, by not staying current; you don't have a lot of the upgraded weapons and stuff putting you at a slight disadvantage. You can have some fun games with the new maps and stuff which keep the game kinda fresh after 12 years or so of being around.
Yeah, I noticed how I am at a disadvantage in fights because of my newb gear. I have to pour fire on guys to get a kill while they seem to take me down with a few shots. Ehh, doesn't bother me after my time with CoD. Been there, done that! :D

Can I ask you a few questions about gameplay? I am finding TF2 to be one of the most complex shooters I have ever played! TF2 is less shooter and more of a crazy mix of shooter and MMO. There are so many things that aren't clear to me, like "levels". What is the difference, say, between a Level 1 weapon and a Level 5, 10, what-have-you weapon?

About that 12-year thing: I think that is why I originally hated this game. I played the original TF and remembered it to be a military-themed shooter. When I tried TF2, the switch to cartoon characters and Looney Tunes weaponry really threw me for a loop! :laugh: But again: this is another example of how a wildly imaginative take on a game can (ultimately :)) be far more popular than another "realistic" take on a game. If TF stayed with a realistic theme, it would have been just another mil shooter.

Regardless...I can't stop playing it. In fact, I am becoming paranoid about it. I am scared that Valve is going to ruin the fun by announcing TF3 via a 17-min video showing off the more realistic graphics used in making an emotionally-driven SP campaign. :devious:

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Instead of a long winded post of my limited knowledge I'll steer you here: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Main_Page Everything you want to know and more. I like the 'cart' maps, where one team pushes a mining cart trying to get to the next cap point. Very intense stuff sometimes. I play here: FNF TF2-68.232.184.65. They brook no nonsense, trouble makers are kicked or banned; and they have players between 12 and 60+, male and female.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I love the carts maps too! I even tried the new Man vs Machine co-op and had a blast (pun intended).

Thanks for the links!

BTW: Been having fun with the movie maker:

[video=youtube_share;znOaukFl0xM]http://youtu.be/znOaukFl0xM[/video]

I love my pyro. :bigfire:

I need to figure out if there is a way for the movie to be rendered at something higher than 360p. Otherwise I am going to need to use a third party video capture app instead.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been having some fun working with the movie editor. Last night, I found myself on a server that saves replays, so I was able to stitch together the following. The first part is me playing as a demoman. This one was a bit challenging because I had recently received "Ali Baba's Wee Booties" which confer +25 health and improved motion control. Unfortunately, I had to equip it in my primary slot, which means I lost my Loch-N-Load which I relied on for close encounters. This meant that I now needed to rely upon my melee weapon: the 'Scotsman's Skullcutter". :D So, as you can see in the vid, I ran around a lot with my Skullcutter out...and even managed a few kills (I feel sorry for that guy I cornered and hacked down!). My demoman looks particularly fashionable in his "Genuine K-9 Mane". :)

The second part is me foolin' around with the toughest class: the spy. Ugh! So tough. But after a bunch of deaths, I think I am starting to get the hang of it. I recently acquired a "L'Etranger" pistol, which has a +15 cloak, but a -20% damage. Still, killed a few with it in that round. And I almost won the game! Darn that sniper who took me out at the very last second. :mad: My fault, I should have been dancing around a bit more. I just didn't see anyone in sight of me and got overconfident.

Anyway, the vid:

[video=youtube;tR5wnwkg22A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tR5wnwkg22A[/video]

Getting better with the movie maker. :)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the reasons why I stick with the automated matchmaker and don't pick servers manually is precisely because I always seem to find the weirdest servers out there, like the ones mentioned here:

[h=1]The importance of being idle: the weird and wonderful world of Team Fortress 2 idle servers[/h]
An idle map needs only these things: a spawn point for each team, and a room in the middle with a game element. These maps are designed to kill players over and over again. Some say it’s to make sure player stats aren’t skewed with ultra-long lives, others claim it’s to stop servers from kicking players. Beyond that, anything goes. Balance and lines of sight are no concern. Instead the designers fill the space with ingenious traps and strange assault courses designed to make achievement farming easier.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the reasons why I stick with the automated matchmaker and don't pick servers manually is precisely because I always seem to find the weirdest servers out there, like the ones mentioned here:

[h=1]The importance of being idle: the weird and wonderful world of Team Fortress 2 idle servers[/h]
Boo! Hiss! Finding the weird servers is what makes multiplayer so much fun! I did that all the time with the first 2 Call of Duty games. I had some great times there.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh man, I remember those weird CoD servers! There was one where the map was one huge house and you were the size of a toy soldier. :D It looked like a great idea, but the server was always empty. :angry: