Teaching in England, its Scary, if your the student.

Scout Out

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's up with England? Teachers telling students the Earth is on collision course with a Death dealing Asteroid and Another Wanting to teach "pole" Dancing to childern over 12. What exactly are the requirements to be a teacher in the United Kingdom?

LONDON (AFP) - A plan to teach British children the risque art of pole dancing, usually the preserve of strip bars, has been cancelled after an uproar from child welfare groups, the teacher said.

Dance teacher Sarah Davis announced pole dancing classes for children over 12 at her studio in Birmingham, arguing it was a demanding activity which would improve fitness.
The routine -- at least, the version seen in late-night joints --usually involves a scantily-clad female draping her limbs around a pole in a sequence of highly suggestive poses.

But the children's charity Childline, which campaigns on behalf of abused and at-risk youngsters, condemned the lessons.
"At the least this is misguided, at worst it's an outrage," said its chief executive Carole Easton.
"There are hundreds and thousands of other, much more appropriate ways in which children can keep fit, enjoy sport and dance."

Davis said that because of the outcry, she had decided to restrict classes to adults only.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/britain_children_offbeat

LONDON (AFP) - A British schoolteacher, attempting to motivate her pupils into making the most of each day, told them a meteorite was about to smash into the Earth and that they should all return home to say goodbye to their families, a report said.
The teacher at the high school in Manchester, northwest England, only realised her lecture was misjudged when many of the assembled teenagers started crying, the Sun newspaper said in its Friday edition.

According to the report, the unnamed female teacher made the announcement to around 250 pupils at St Matthew's Roman Catholic High School during their regular morning assembly.
Saying she had bad news, the teacher announced that a meteor would strike the Earth in 10 days' time, and that they should return home and say their "final farewells" to their parents.
After the crowd of 13- and 14-year-olds looked on in horror, and many burst into tears, the teacher swiftly explained that she was only trying to encourage them to "seize the day".

"Some of the children were 100 percent convinced they were going to die," the father of one child told the paper.
"God only knows what this teacher thought she was doing."
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1517&e=1&u=/afp/britain_education_meteor
It was either start the thread here or in the humor section.
:cheeky: :surprise: :nuts:

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Marines said:
And I thought our education system was in shambles.
Don't worry...ours will be there too, if fundamentalists keep trying to push Creationism, and other pseudosciences, into our educational system... :surprise:

<...opens can of worms, tosses it into the room, and then leaves the building...>

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JAMiAM said:
Don't worry...ours will be there too, if fundamentalists keep trying to push Creationism, and other pseudosciences, into our educational system... :surprise:

<...opens can of worms, tosses it into the room, and then leaves the building...>
MMMMmmmm I can just taste the century old debate about to roar up between creationism dualism and evolutionism, My stance on this is simple, if it has no scientific basis or, for that matter, any scientific evidence to back it up it shouldn’t be taught in a science class of a public school. If you want your child to be taught creationism in a science class send them to a private Christian school. However this does not mean that I oppose the teaching of creationism, it is a part of out history and should be taught as such in a history class. Or there could even be a class in high schools devoted entirely to religious thought, of course this idea if implemented could go completely haywire.

Anyway most of us know that evolution is taught in most high school science classes because it is a widely accepted theory in the scientific community with a plethora of evidence found that backs this theory up, I mean its not like some quack just said “hey, evolution through natural selection!”. This enrages bible literalists because they know that there is no evidence that god created man and the Earth in seven days, which is other than the bible, which at times is sketchy at best.

And just for clarification I am a Duelist, it’s that Catholic catechism class kicking in.

I hope we can all have a good clean debate here no punching below the belt please. :TRUCE:

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Corporal punishment?

The quality of the education throughout the western world is collapsing. Teachers are much more concerned with pay and benefits. I don’t know about your country but the time we have to spend with our children over the years on helping them with their schoolwork I find disturbing. When I went to school my parents did not have to help with anything. I was expected to perform on my own. That was in the days of Corporal punishment. Corporal punishment is not allowed in Canada, is it allowed in the UK, Australian or the US? Sometimes I think it should come back.

sickpup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JAMiAM said:

Yeah, because we all know that the idea of a 'Big Bang' is much more feasible than the idea of a deity.

sickpup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jack said:
The quality of the education throughout the western world is collapsing. Teachers are much more concerned with pay and benefits. I don’t know about your country but the time we have to spend with our children over the years on helping them with their schoolwork I find disturbing. When I went to school my parents did not have to help with anything. I was expected to perform on my own. That was in the days of Corporal punishment. Corporal punishment is not allowed in Canada, is it allowed in the UK, Australian or the US? Sometimes I think it should come back.
It's decided on a state by state basis in the US (sometimes on a district by district basis). I'm relatively sure that the UK has banned it. Not so sure about Australia.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Would you guys be even more scared if I were to tell you that...

...Mrs Sinister is a Primary School Teacher here in the UK?

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Richa333 said:
OMYG!

(Be afraid - be VERY afraid!!!)
Useful for experimental material - i.e. for feeding dinosaurs. Kids aren't afraid of Dinosaurs so they trot up to them quite happily to say hello, and get eaten.

Dr. S.

Bariman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doctor Sinister said:
Useful for experimental material - i.e. for feeding dinosaurs. Kids aren't afraid of Dinosaurs so they trot up to them quite happily to say hello, and get eaten.

Dr. S.

Do the parents have anything to say about that, or are they "experimental material" too?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Bariman said:
Do the parents have anything to say about that, or are they "experimental material" too?
Parents? Are they the people waiting outside at the end of the school day? The queue gets longer every week apparently...

Dr. S.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Doctor Sinister said:

Dr. S.
:laugh: :laugh: What a sight...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FallenAngelASB said:
Anyway most of us know that evolution is taught in most high school science classes because it is a widely accepted theory in the scientific community with a plethora of evidence found that backs this theory up
I disagree that evolution is scientifically beyond shadow of a doubt. There is evidence to show that the human gene strand is de-evolving or, more specifically, breaking down. With each mating of man and woman, the strand gets just a little weaker, not stronger. There is theory that this is why so many kids these days are autistic and also why we are so much more prone to cancer. Also, going from what we know about stars, animal organisms couldn't have been around for the millions and millions of years they say they were because our sun's lifegiving cycle would have expired by now if they were. The sun would be a red giant and we would be toast. Creationism may be scientifically sketchy, but I think evolution is just as sketchy.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And those poor English students... How can they have any pudding if they don't eat their meat!? :OHNO: