Tcs Vassal

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am using the 3 hex zone as mentioned in the OPs article on the Archive site. My failure instructions right now say that if I get pushed back further than 3 hexes from the Log Bridge or do not have enough forces to take it back, to bug out.

You are making sense to me and I am listening.:)

I know Larry frequents this forum sometimes, and he is a TCS vet.

Keith

PS Maybe ol' Fezzi could give some feedback too.
Hi Guys ..

Just finishing an article for the Operations Mag regarding the new TCS rules and another about GD'42.

So .. Ops Sheets, yes your ideas are pretty sound. Since I know I'm speaking to ASL players (l'm one too) .... the thing to remember is the scale of each hex is 125yds so a defensive posture back 3 hexes would be ok. Also once your units move out of the initial defensive hex either voluntarily or forced out you are no longer considered Dug-in and this only applies to the individual units that do move.

Now if you were my opponent I'd allow you to counter attack with your dislodged defenders and if you occupied the original hexes I'd consider you Dug-in again. But you'll find for so many other reasons that the best avenue for you to consider will be the failure instructions. The attacks can be very fluid similar to ASL but TCS games are meant to be played over a longer time span and holding on to objectives needlessly when you can run and fight another day could be costly.

Another consideration if the rules specific to the game will allow, you could have unit(s) (even one platoon) as reserves a few hexes back and activate them to come to the aid of the defenders ....

Timing is such an important part of TCS .. for example when attack Ops Sheet implements you have to think about when should the attack commence or on the defence how long and for what reason are you holding onto an objective ie are there other defensive positions in the rear that need to be set up and you are buying time or are there reinforcements coming to your aid .... so many options or variables that can come into play. That alone to me is one of the major reasons why TCS is such a great system.

Hope I've kind of answered your questions guys ....

Larry

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, thats great, thanks, Larry!

Keith and I have only played the teeniest bit of a single TCS scenario, but I'm already very VERY excited about the system.

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, thats great, thanks, Larry!

Keith and I have only played the teeniest bit of a single TCS scenario, but I'm already very VERY excited about the system.
Hi Jay

well you and Keith have picked a good starter game. Bloody Ridge is a nice one for pure Infantry action. I loved playing that one.

I'll tell Lee to show up here occasionally so he can also answer any questions you may have.

So .. seems you are enjoying using VASSAL for TCS. Lee Forester and I are playing GD'41.

Larry

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'd love to see some screenshots of your game, Larry! I know it takes time to do that kind of thing, but it's always so cool to see how peoples' games are working out.
Hi Jay

That sound good .... I'll see how to do that and post something tonight.

Larry

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you have any questions about doing that kind of thing, Larry, let me know and I can guide you through it.

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Guys

Well as promised .... a snap shot of our GD'41 Campaign Game scen 4.5.

The scenario starts at 0700hrs and we are about to begin 0920hrs. The area shown is where some of the fighting is currently going on. The fired markers are German units from the last turn (0900hrs). I rolled low so I get the option and will go first in this up coming 0920hr turn.

You can see a hugh gap is opened up from the orchard and my 3rd coy of the para Regt is bugging out and heading due East as per the failure instructions.

But I've activated a brigade of Soviet infantry back in turn 0800hrs I think and they are heading south down the road looking for a fight in the para unit's sector.

In this game I also have some tanks coming my way but they enter on a variable die roll so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will arrive soon : ( ....

Oooops Thanks for the offer Jay but I think I've figured it out.

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the look, Larry! It must be satisfying when you see your opponent execute failure instructions....

-Jay

Lehr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Larry,

Thanks for posting your game with Lee.

Do you know if there is a way for others to watch your game directly with Vassal?

That would be great if it's possible.

Last edited:

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
(Just chiming in to give the technical info about VASSAL):

It's really easy to watch people play in VASSAL. You just have to log on at the same time as they do, then "Synchronize" on their game.

If they're using Skype or some other voice software to speak, you won't be able to hear them talking, though - unless they want to invite you into their Skype chat. You'll just see their dice rolls and the movement of counters.

In VASL (same as VASSAL TCS but for ASL), I often watch peoples' games. Occasionally I'm invited into their Skype chats, as well, but Skype chats can lose audio quality sometimes with more than 2 users.

I'd also love to know when you guys play! I like to have the map window open in the background, just to see the ebb and flow of troops' movements as I work...

:)

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey Jay & Lehr

Lee and I use Skype when we play but I can certainly type as well .... : )

Seeing that both of you guys are west coast .. Lee is EST and I'm AST ... so we maybe a little early for you.

But I'll give you a heads up for our next meeting.

Also I just looked at the map I made in my last post of our GD'41 game .. can you see the counters clearly or should I attempt to make another ?

Our game is just starting to get interesting .... there is still more reinforcements on both sides to see action as the days unfold.

Larry

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Larry,

The map you posted is a little small, I must admit. Did you downsize it to make a smaller image? Maybe next time, save a larger image, but save it as a .jpg, because they're nice and small.

Keith Todd and I are going to continue our run-through of the first scenario of Bloody Ridge in about 30 minutes. Maybe 1-2 more sessions of that, then we'll be on to the campaign!

Lehr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jay,

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot when I know when a game is being played.

Lehr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Larry,

Thanks for offering to let us know when your next session with Lee is.

Please don't bother to type on my account. I more just want to see the general ebb and flow of the game, and I like how I can zoom in and move around the map in Vassal.

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Larry,

Thanks for offering to let us know when your next session with Lee is.

Please don't bother to type on my account. I more just want to see the general ebb and flow of the game, and I like how I can zoom in and move around the map in Vassal.
Hey no problem ...... I could still do some typing answer any questions I think as we play ...

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Larry,

The map you posted is a little small, I must admit. Did you downsize it to make a smaller image? Maybe next time, save a larger image, but save it as a .jpg, because they're nice and small.

Keith Todd and I are going to continue our run-through of the first scenario of Bloody Ridge in about 30 minutes. Maybe 1-2 more sessions of that, then we'll be on to the campaign!
Thanks Jay

I'll keep that in mind when we resume our play. Things should start to heat up and there maybe a chance for a better shot.

JG53_Jaguar

Reaction score
Country
llSlovakia
I got Screaming Eagles and in Holland and Raging Storm, I got the VASL modules as well. It would be nice to read expanded example of play with pictures that would walk me through a few turns...this would help a lot. Even though my primary focus is ASL I find TCS interesting because of the Ops sheets. I have GD'42 on pre-order so I'm looking forward to that one as well (I prefer Eastern Front)...

Since I'm not member of CSW I'm glad there is TCS traffic here on this board! :)