TCS, the series - your thoughts?

gre81

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone. I too play SL, LnL, and ASL. Have recently discovered the TCS system and have pre-ordered GD'42. I have downloaded rules and Vassal for the series. Just wish I could find someone to walk me thru a couple of turns to help me get the system down (excluding Command rules) for now. I did think of trying PzG, but it just looked to generic.

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello everyone. I too play SL, LnL, and ASL. Have recently discovered the TCS system and have pre-ordered GD'42. I have downloaded rules and Vassal for the series. Just wish I could find someone to walk me thru a couple of turns to help me get the system down (excluding Command rules) for now. I did think of trying PzG, but it just looked to generic.
Hi gre81 ..

So, do you have any of the games in the series or did you just want to set up a few counters and walk through a few phases using VASSAL?

GD'42 will be an awesome game! .... I can't wait for its release.

Larry

gre81

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not own any of the games. Have been reading the rules and trying to figure out on my own. Would like someone to walk me thru a couple of turns on Vassal.

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi guys,

I'm a long-time ASL player, and I'm seriously thinking about getting into TCS. My local games store has the following games. Which do you think I should get? I hear that the rules keep changing, or something like this? Do I need to consider that some of these games might have older rules?

At the moment, I'd like to by a simpler one with some shorter scenarios in it.

I'd like to play on VASSAL, but if the game is simple enough, I might try to get some friends hooked on it as well.

The games I can choose from are:
Black Wednesday
Bloody Ridge
A Frozen Hell
GD'40
Hunters From the Sky
A Raging Storm
Screaming Eagles in Holland

Thanks!

-Jay

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
.The games I can choose from are:
Black Wednesday
Bloody Ridge
A Frozen Hell
GD'40
Hunters From the Sky
A Raging Storm
Screaming Eagles in Holland
In order:
Bloody Ridge
Hunters from the Sky
Frozen Hell
GD 40
Black Wednesday
SE in Holland
Raging Storm

4.0 Rules are downloadable on the Gamers section of MMPs site which should be backwards compatible:
http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/tcs/Lee/tcs.html

Bloody Ridge and Hunters are the best bet for intro games, with FH, and BW being larger with some more game-specific rules, but good, swirling fun none-the-less.

I don't have GD 40, but have always heard good things about it; ditto A Raging Storm.

Screaming Eagles is a touch on the larger side as well (it also has black SS!), though I never got past punching & clipping.

Pay particular attention to the command rules (Hunters, IIRC, doesn't use them I think) as they will be your biggest bugbear.

Also, probably the best intro game would be Semper Fi! (USMC in Korea) if you can score it.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
My recommendation would be the same as Fezzi's except Screaming Eagles is a good intro as it has one mappers and the terrain is relatively flat.

Keith

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Cool - thanks, guys. Does anyone play any of these games on VASSAL?

Keith, maybe you're interested. I ordered Bloody Ridge and Screaming Eagles in Holland yesterday.