TCS, the series - your thoughts?

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seeing that MMP has Matanikau on sale today only for $15.00, I can't help but think to take the big plunge (laugh) into this series of games. I do enjoy the CWBS, but have held off on TCS since I'm heavily into ASL. I realize that the scale is different and of course the orders system is unique to TCS.

What are some thoughts on this series from those of you that have played it?

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Seeing that MMP has Matanikau on sale today only for $15.00, I can't help but think to take the big plunge (laugh) into this series of games. I do enjoy the CWBS, but have held off on TCS since I'm heavily into ASL. I realize that the scale is different and of course the orders system is unique to TCS.

What are some thoughts on this series from those of you that have played it?
Hi Gary

Although I haven't played Matanikau I've played many of the other titles in this series. What I love about TCS is the ability to regroup and try a first or second failed attempt at capturing an objective. Different focus but at times just as intense feeling as ASL.

The Ops Sheet adds a bit to the game in that you're sometimes able to decive your opponent as to your plan of attack. Sometime nice to see your opponent quickly penciling a new Ops sheet to counter your latest move ... when you know you're several steps (in tempo) ahead ...

So if you like campaign games in ASL you'll like the length of some or all the TCS titles. There is something for everyone.

The newest version of the TCS series rules are almost completed and I was sad to see GD42 not in todays per-pub line-up but it should be out in the next batch ... pre-pub's been without a TCS title for far to long.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Larry - for $15.00 I figured that I couldn't go wrong, even if I don't care for the system for whatever reason. That and the fact that a new feature in an upcoming VASSAL had TCS in mind (a "whiteboard" of sorts), so that will hopefully make it playable online once I or someone does a module for it.

Kishel

Reaction score
Gary,

Bloody Ridge is out on VASSAL for TCS.

I did not put the white board feature in there as I finished it a while a go. But if there are some new features that would make it better I will go back and fix it up.

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Gary,

Bloody Ridge is out on VASSAL for TCS.

I did not put the white board feature in there as I finished it a while a go. But if there are some new features that would make it better I will go back and fix it up.
Hey Guys ..

whats this white board feature? I'd love to see more access to a TCS VASSAL thing.

If I has VASL DL do I need a different DL for Bloody Ridge?

Is anybody working on any other TCS games?

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Guys ..

whats this white board feature? I'd love to see more access to a TCS VASSAL thing.

If I has VASL DL do I need a different DL for Bloody Ridge?

Is anybody working on any other TCS games?
Hey Larry,

You need to download VASSAL (read, not VASL) from www.vassalengine.org. The various modules available are linked on the vassalengine.org site as well ("Modules"). I think that I noticed Semper Fi there as well as Bloody Ridge.

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Gary wrote ...

Hey Larry,

You need to download VASSAL (read, not VASL) from www.vassalengine.org. The various modules available are linked on the vassalengine.org site as well ("Modules"). I think that I noticed Semper Fi there as well as Bloody Ridge.

and Keith wrote ....

Also there is Screaming Eagles in Holland (TCS, MMP/The Gamers)

Wow .. thanks guys looks like I'll be busy this wkend : )

Keith Todd

Reaction score
OK thanks Keith .... i'll attempt VASSAL DL tonight

hey have you tried the latest TCS 4.10 version ....
I played Bloody Ridge with version 4.00a. Then I could not keep up with the many changes so I will wait until closer to the official version. I am very much a TCS newbie so the subleties of the changes are lost on me and very confusing.

Keith

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I played Bloody Ridge with version 4.00a. Then I could not keep up with the many changes so I will wait until closer to the official version. I am very much a TCS newbie so the subleties of the changes are lost on me and very confusing.

Keith

Hey I hear ya .... I was playtesting the next TCS to hopefully make it to the pre-pub soon, GD42 ....... but like you I put off further testing until the rules were close to being done.

I think that moment is coming very soon ........

Its a great system and I think the new rules will help ..

Keith Todd

Reaction score
I have quite a few TCS games. I just know that if I got into the rules that I would really enjoy this system. Man, the battles you can play. It drives me nuts sometimes to look at Black Wednesday or Screaming Eagles sitting on the shelf.

As you mentioned they seem to be the perfect "ASL HASL's"

:)

Keith

Strabo

Reaction score
Country
ll
I've only played Screaming Eagles, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Even if I only did get 10 hours or so into the 60 hour campaign game.

And that's the problem, it's very large, and very long. And sometimes it can be very slow. It requires a lot dice rolling to get anything done.

But the orders system and the battallion morale work very well. It's one of the few games that encourages to pull out of a failed attack, and try again later. So you get pauses in the action, where the two sides are resting or getting prepared for other orders.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like this series and started getting into it a few years ago. But like many here the rules revsions stalled me. I stopped investing time in a system that the designers can't seem to decide on a rule set. This seems to be a problem with many of the gamers' sereis.

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have quite a few TCS games. I just know that if I got into the rules that I would really enjoy this system. Man, the battles you can play. It drives me nuts sometimes to look at Black Wednesday or Screaming Eagles sitting on the shelf.

As you mentioned they seem to be the perfect "ASL HASL's"

:)

Keith
Right, I agree with your first comment ...

and ....I wasn't the guy that said the "ASL HASL's" but I do strongly agree on that point ..

I started serious play with SL then .. like several, left when ASL came and discovered TCS. TCS was my passion for may years, I even attended HomerCon '97 ....

now I'm into ASL but starting to get back to TCS now that the rules are coming together again ....

I love the soon to be trilogy GD games .. (GD42 will be out soon) .... I have all the other TCS games ... and think the VASSAL will offer players a chance to really get into them.

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've only played Screaming Eagles, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Even if I only did get 10 hours or so into the 60 hour campaign game.

And that's the problem, it's very large, and very long. And sometimes it can be very slow. It requires a lot dice rolling to get anything done.

But the orders system and the battallion morale work very well. It's one of the few games that encourages to pull out of a failed attack, and try again later. So you get pauses in the action, where the two sides are resting or getting prepared for other orders.
Well thats one of the things about TCS .. the campaign games, even the scenarios can be a long drawn affair ... but we can play live with VASSAL? So that would help keep the long run of log exchances down somewhat.....

I agree with what you say in your last para .... that one of the beauties about TCS ...

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I like this series and started getting into it a few years ago. But like many here the rules revsions stalled me. I stopped investing time in a system that the designers can't seem to decide on a rule set. This seems to be a problem with many of the gamers' sereis.
I hear ya ... thats what led me back to ASL. I kinda lost interest. I can't really stand the discussions about rule changes and have kept out (for the most part) from any real long run affair ... I just want to playtest and /or play for fun ..

its a great system and I'm getting my interest back after Lee said his about ready to finalize the rules so we can get back to playing ... hope you stick around .....

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So is Mike MacCullum the guy who has developed the three TCS game into VASSAL format .. and will their be other games ...

probably after the new rules are finalized .. right

this would be a great tool for even the playtesting of would be TCS games