TCASL 4/10/21-- ANZACs (COVID-19 Edition)

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Folks!

These days, I feel like we're in the last episode of Band of Brothers. The end of the war is in sight, and nobody wants to be the last casualty. So we hunker down, keep our distance, and play another month online....

Details:
Day:
4/10/21
Time: Whenever you please
Location: VASL, BGG, GS, Discord-- wherever we happen to congregate online

As ANZAC Day is coming up, this month's scenarios are all about the Australian and New Zealand contribution to the war effort. Thanks to @Andrew Rogers et al., we have an excellent batch in Action Pack 16. But if you're looking for something a bit older, or you don't yet have that particular Action Pack, I recommend the following:
Code:
Number  Title                   Side1        Side2       #Hrs  S1Win%  S2Win%  Publication           Notes
ASL60   On the Kokoda Trail     Japanese     Australian  7.8   50.00%  50.00%  Rising Sun
ASL93   Tavronitis Bridge       New Zealand  German      1.9   48.15%  51.85%  For King and Country
DASL26  The Kiwis Attack        New Zealand  German      6.8   56.41%  43.59%  Deluxe ASL            Previously published as GD-B in the General Vol 29 No 6.
J101    The Coconut Plantation  Japanese     Australian  5     51.52%  48.48%  Journal 6
J116    Brigade Hill            Japanese     Australian  3.6   46.94%  53.06%  Journal 8
BFP67   Coke Hill               Australian   Japanese    4.9   44.44%  55.56%  Blood and Jungle
The further we get into 2021, the easier it gets to find 80th Anniversary scenarios:
Code:
ASL144  The Professionals       German       Yugoslav    6.3   72.73%  27.27%  Doomed Battalions     4/7/1941  Previously published as A28 in Annual '91-- with a 54%-46% record.
J91     The Sooner The Better   German       Australian  11.2  41.38%  58.62%  Journal 6             4/14/1941  See, a scenario that meets BOTH themes!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hey Folks!

These days, I feel like we're in the last episode of Band of Brothers. The end of the war is in sight, and nobody wants to be the last casualty. So we hunker down, keep our distance, and play another month online....

Details:
Day:
4/10/21
Time: Whenever you please
Location: VASL, BGG, GS, Discord-- wherever we happen to congregate online

As ANZAC Day is coming up, this month's scenarios are all about the Australian and New Zealand contribution to the war effort. Thanks to @Andrew Rogers et al., we have an excellent batch in Action Pack 16. But if you're looking for something a bit older, or you don't yet have that particular Action Pack, I recommend the following:
Code:
Number  Title                   Side1        Side2       #Hrs  S1Win%  S2Win%  Publication           Notes
ASL60   On the Kokoda Trail     Japanese     Australian  7.8   50.00%  50.00%  Rising Sun
ASL93   Tavronitis Bridge       New Zealand  German      1.9   48.15%  51.85%  For King and Country
DASL26  The Kiwis Attack        New Zealand  German      6.8   56.41%  43.59%  Deluxe ASL            Previously published as GD-B in the General Vol 29 No 6.
J101    The Coconut Plantation  Japanese     Australian  5     51.52%  48.48%  Journal 6
J116    Brigade Hill            Japanese     Australian  3.6   46.94%  53.06%  Journal 8
BFP67   Coke Hill               Australian   Japanese    4.9   44.44%  55.56%  Blood and Jungle
The further we get into 2021, the easier it gets to find 80th Anniversary scenarios:
Code:
ASL144  The Professionals       German       Yugoslav    6.3   72.73%  27.27%  Doomed Battalions     4/7/1941  Previously published as A28 in Annual '91-- with a 54%-46% record.
J91     The Sooner The Better   German       Australian  11.2  41.38%  58.62%  Journal 6             4/14/1941  See, a scenario that meets BOTH themes!
Good luck with your event and hope everyone has a great time. Good comparison to BoB.😊

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Cheers mate, this ANZAC day I will fire up the barbie, while playing two-up in one hand and sucking down a couple of VBs or Tooheys or XXXX stubbies in the other hand. Salute to all the Diggers who made the ultimate sacrifice. Lest we forget.
Colonel Cuervo says we'll throw down a couple shots here in their honor and memory.

What is a stubbie? Actiondebbie has an answer but not very flattering and hopefully not what you intended. 😔

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 17535A stubbie is .... 375mls of pure Aussie joy (beer!)
Thanks! Not really a beer drinker although Actiondebbie enjoys the brewskies ( or brewkies as she calls them ). I'll have the occasional sip but much more a wino man.
Regardless of your refreshment of choice have a great day of it and we'll have a couple shots too. Maybe even sneak a sip of Actiondebbie's Stella Artois to wash it down.😋

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheers mate, this ANZAC day I will fire up the barbie, while playing two-up in one hand and sucking down a couple of VBs or Tooheys or XXXX stubbies in the other hand. Salute to all the Diggers who made the ultimate sacrifice. Lest we forget.
As an associate member of the 7th Australian Veterans Association (The U.S. 32nd "Red Arrow" Division Veterans Association & the 7th Australian Division's Veterans Association made each other associate members of each relatively recently) and as a member of the 32nd's Association's executive committee; you may consider this as a somewhat semi-official "Happy ANZAC Day" wish.
SIDE NOTE: Interestingly Lt. Ian Walker, 2/7th, 17th Inf Bde, Australian Army would be awarded The U.S. Army's Distinguished Service Cross (2nd highest award for gallantry awarded by the U.S. Army) for extraordinary heroism exhibited in a carrier attack at the Dobrudura plantation, Buna 5 DEC 42 (DOW) in a joint attack that day on recommendation of the 128th Inf, 32nd Div, Cdr. Also, in our yearly reunion of the 32nd Red Arrow Association we pay homage to the 7th Australians in our tribute to our fallen comrades.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I recommend the following:
Code:
Another example of misleading ROAR numbers maybe ...

I would not play "On the Kokoda Trail" again for love or money, but if you are going to play it, make sure that you play the updated version from RS and not the original CoB version. You'll probably still want to bid for the Japanese though.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Actiondebbie and I just did a couple shots of tequila in honor of the ANZACS. I had to explain who the ANZACs were but she was quite willing to honor those who have served.

Do ANZACs drink tequila? Good stuff!! Makes you get naked!🤪🤪🤤

Fernprost!

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I certainly have in the past, but no nudity was involved -- at least, not that I can recall. 😉
A full bottle of tequila. A congenial shipmate. An empty bottle of tequila. Running around the barracks naked. Visiting our shipmates. I have pictures.🤪🤪🤪🤪

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Didn't need that mental image!:rolleyes:🤫😬
Oddly enough, or maybe not so for sub sailors, except for another shipmate giving me the pictures nobody ever said anything. Just a typical night in the sub barracks I guess. 🤔😉🤮

Andrew Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llAustralia
Noting the above conversation about sailors and ANZAC Day, I am cross-posting this from FB.

A quick pop quiz from Down-Under. Look at the following pic and (please!) watch the video clip attached to this Oz news article. Is the dance group in the video performing:
a. in celebration of finally learning the ASLSK rules
b. for a hip-hop music-video
c. at the launch of the latest $1bn vessel for the Australian Navy

Dance troupe 101 Doll Squadron defends performance at HMAS Supply launch in Sydney - ABC News