TCASL 3/11/23-- ODDBALL ACTIONS

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings all,

Spring is just around the corner! This being Minnesota, that corner is probably booby trapped and covered by fire. We must be cautious. In the meantime, we can take the edge off of incipient cabin fever gathering our ASL kits and venturing forth to the Roseville Library to get in a game or two.

Details:
Day:
3/11/23
Time: 10:00am - 4:30pm
Location: Ramsey County Library Roseville 2180 Hamline Ave N, Roseville, MN 55113
Masks: Highly recommended [This winter isn't being nice on the pandemic front]

I am continually amazed by the incredible flexibility offered by the ASL system. Here are a dozen scenarios that feature neither American, British, German, Japanese, nor Soviet forces. Actions in the Balkans are depicted heavily, but there are a few interesting outliers.... (Thanks to @hongkongwargamer for the idea!)
Code:
Number  Title                          Side1              Side2                #Hrs  S1Win%  S2Win%  Publication                     Notes
ASL90   Pride and Joy                  Greek              Italian              12.9  50.00%  50.00%  Doomed Battalions (3rd Ed)
ASL112  Out of Cowardice               Yugoslav           Hungarian            4.8   ??????  ??????  Armies of Oblivion              Check errata if using pre-2018 version.  Revised version has low play count.
ASL137  Italian Brothers               Republican         Italian              5.2   64.29%  35.71%  Doomed Battalions (3rd Ed)
ASL203  Hard ROK                       North Korean       South Korean         7     60.47%  39.53%  Forgotten War
ASL212  First Bayonet Charge           OUNC               North Korean         3.8   25.00%  75.00%  Forgotten War
ASL219  Blood Enemies                  Yugoslav           Croatian             5.4   ??????  ??????  Armies of Oblivion (2018)       Originally published as J48 in Journal #3, and has been revised.  Low play count in this version.
ASL228  Break for Hungary              Partisan           Croatian             3.4   41.46%  58.54%  Armies of Oblivion (2018)       Originally published as J109 in Journal #7.  Win ratios based on sum of both listings.
ASL247  Just an Illusion               Vichy              Thai (Chinese)       7.9   ??????  ??????  Croix de Guerre (2nd Ed)        Originally published as J70 in Journal #4, and has been revised.  Low play count in this version
ASL265  Men of the Mountains           Partisan           Italian              4.7   ??????  ??????  Hollow Legions (3rd Ed)         Originally published as J34 in Journal #2, and has been revised.  Low play count in this version.
J148    Last Minute War                Hungarian          Slovak               5.7   62.90%  37.10%  Journal #10
J195    Such Faith                     Italian            Albanian             5     ??????  ??????  Journal #13
J216    First Action at Jinju          South Korean (KMC) Communist Guerillas  3.2   ??????  ??????  Journal #13
March of 1943 takes us from the plains of Russia to the jungles of Burma:
Code:
AP65    Baw Drop                       British            Japanese             4.1   41.18%  58.82%  Action Pack 7                   3/13/1943
AP94    Show of Force                  German             Soviet               5     39.08%  60.92%  Action Pack 10                  3/12/1943

Last edited:

Plem4507

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Had a great time. Played T1-"Gavin Take" Thanks Byron for bearing with me and helping me apply the rules I've been reading through. When you encircled and captured Gavin I learned a big lesson on routing to safety. This scenario definitely highlights maneuver more than combat with American VC of just crossing and exiting the map.

Nice to meet you Scott, and Christian, Thanks again to Geoff for organizing.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to everyone who showed up, and especially to Byron and Christian for being willing to play a couple of last minute teaching games!

Byron (German) and @Plem4507 (American) played T1 / ASL 181 Gavin Take
Byron (German) and Ken (American) play ASL181 / T1 Gavin Take 2023-03-11

Christian (Soviet) and Scott (German) played S2 War of the Rats
Christian (Soviet) and Scott (German) play S2 War of the Rats 2023-03-11

Last edited:

Plem4507

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Also posted on BGG -
Anyone in the group use the Electronic Rulebook from MMP? If so, Thoughts, Experiences, is it worth having another copy of the rules in a different format? I already have the big binder and the Pocket rules. Automatic updates for life on the E-Rules seems like a pretty big incentive to buy it. Any ideas on how often updates are/will be made?

John Garlic

Reaction score
Weslaco, Republic of the Rio Grande, Texas
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Also posted on BGG -
Anyone in the group use the Electronic Rulebook from MMP? If so, Thoughts, Experiences, is it worth having another copy of the rules in a different format? I already have the big binder and the Pocket rules. Automatic updates for life on the E-Rules seems like a pretty big incentive to buy it. Any ideas on how often updates are/will be made?
I use it all the time.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since it's a PDF you can easily search it for any word or phrase, e.g., I just used it to search for all instances of PAATC to see if there were any mods to the DR. Very handy.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Also posted on BGG -
I use it all the time for my VASL games and often highlight sections to help me remember or make it easy to find "next time" - something I don't do with my regular rulebook (don't have the pocket versions).