Tax cuts

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a shame people don't understand what a tax expense is and instead use withholding as a savings account that the government gets to hold.

As with all things republican, it's take from the middle class and give to the rich, with the added twist that it's take from the blue state middle class and give to the rural rich.

I'm waiting for the democrats to practice the reverse: give a huge middle class tax cut, and then tax the crap out of people making more than 200k a year. And I mean tax the crap out of them. Deficits don't matter, just tax them to make up for the last forty years.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for posting this also... explaining what a sham these tax cuts are for average people like me.

And any average person who votes Republican is a fool.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I'm waiting for the democrats to practice the reverse: give a huge middle class tax cut, and then tax the crap out of people making more than 200k a year. And I mean tax the crap out of them. Deficits don't matter, just tax them to make up for the last forty years.
I would quit. Live on the dole then. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
That is what conservatives always say. Yet, if your income isfrom the federal government, directly or indirectly, you are already on the dole.
You're on your companies dole as well. You provide a service, they pay you for it. It's that, or we go all barter on each other and I am sure that would work well. In my case, I can say with all honesty, I would not work as long or as hard as I do just to have it taken from me. I would stop. Wouldn't be worth it. I would find some other job with less stress, less hours. Of course, I am nearing retirement. Passing this rule would definitely drive me out early so please, make it so. -- jim

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're on your companies dole as well. You provide a service, they pay you for it. It's that, or we go all barter on each other and I am sure that would work well. In my case, I can say with all honesty, I would not work as long or as hard as I do just to have it taken from me. I would stop. Wouldn't be worth it. I would find some other job with less stress, less hours. Of course, I am nearing retirement. Passing this rule would definitely drive me out early so please, make it so. -- jim
I was told, by you, I couldn't comment on global warming if I used airplanes (which I don't).

Seems to me that those who get their manna from the federal government also shouldn't be allowed to comment on the federal deficit.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I was told, by you, I couldn't comment on global warming if I used airplanes (which I don't).
I don't believe I said you couldn't comment on global warming if you used airplanes. I am pretty sure the only time I have ever used airplanes in the context of global warming is to point out that it's hypocritical to call for a reduction in carbon emissions and then partake in activity that significantly increases the same. I don't believe I have ever said that a person can't comment on something. That's not my style.

Seems to me that those who get their manna from the federal government also shouldn't be allowed to comment on the federal deficit.
So I say if you have no skin in the game, you shouldn't have a vote and that's deplorable. I pay my taxes and do my part and you think I should stop. I think there is common ground here. I am willing to re-classify myself as a taker and remove all takers from the voting electorate. I like your "manna from the federal government" label. Can we call that common ground finally? -- jim (I didn't think so)

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The fact is that under-taxation of the wealthy is an international problem. Here's a very good commentary on DAVOS, where the super rich come together to enact a cleansing ritual so they don't have to feel guilty about being rich. Go to the 9 minute mark if in a hurry.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I suspect that most people who thought that the GOP tax cuts would benefit them were in two camps: 1) they actually believed the GOP, 2) even if they doubted that the tax cuts would accrue to themselves they thought 'hey, when I get rich, I don't want higher taxes'. Both camps are highly delusional and selfish, respectively.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, many people, especially in red states, are receiving a benefit. Just not as much as the very wealthy. And most people (in those states especially) pay little in federal income taxes, so the change is marginal.

But people don't vote republican for tax cuts. They vote republican in order to cut other people's benefits. Rich earners push republicanism as tax less, but history has shown that deficits are a republican creation, and all a deficit is is a tax that hasn't been levied yet.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of course tax refunds are down...less tax coming out of your paycheck means a smaller refund. The cuts made a huge difference in my paycheck...and allowed my company to pay bigger bonuses.

MAGA!
WINNING!
BUILD THE WALL!

(Libtards appear to have as much difficulty with math as they do with genitalia.)

Morbii

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of course tax refunds are down...less tax coming out of your paycheck means a smaller refund. The cuts made a huge difference in my paycheck...and allowed my company to pay bigger bonuses.
That’s because, like you, your state is a taker on the dole.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Follow up interview with Dutch historian Rutger Bregman. Stop talking about philanthropy and start talking about Taxing the super wealthy.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It occurs to me that the republicans could have had a centrist democrat's tax reform if they had simply worked with BHO the way the democrats worked with Dubya and RR. But they were interested in power, so soon republicans will have a leftist democrat's tax reform instead. I hope it sticks in their throats.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What goes up eventually comes down. The vast redistribution of wealth upwards over the past 4 decades, engineered by the GOP, sold to the masses and swallowed whole by their constituents as a way to 'create jobs' was corporate welfare at its worst. (but hey - 'look over there - SNAP welfare cheats!')

Never before in US history has there been such a vast transfer of wealth from the middle class to the plutocratic class (ie. the oligarchy). And there are still those who think the wealthy 'built' their own wealth. They didn't. It was largely given to them by our tax laws and government handouts that have favored the wealthy since Reagan. Time to pay the piper.