Task Force Tomlinson

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did a FTP play of this scenerio last evening with Tinjaw. After the OPFOR gloriously rolled into the objective with almost the entire battalion it was declared a Red victory. Some observations on my part and some mistakes I made:
  • I ordered a airstrike as an armed recon to look for Blue and also launched a speculative MRL strike. I should have timed this better with the airstrike happening about a minute prior to the MRL strike to allow for a last minute correction. Kinda gamey but hey use what you can to your favor.:p
  • I had a recon unit drop it team as an order and then changed my mind on its location. I did not however change that order so the team got left behind. I did not want to go back and get it because I thought it could be observed and maybe attacked.
  • I did not reduce the engagement range for my recon teams so they fired on a Blue scout team. I changed this after one turn and they did not suffer from any steel rain much to my shock.
  • By using get orders I had a whole bunch of units converge on one point. This is good and bad. Good because even if the target was defended it would have had the mass to have had some units reach it. Bad because by bunching they could get pounded by artillery.
  • With the above point I formed an "assault" column by placing tank plts on the outside with the mech infantry as the center column. My thinking was that unless target types were specified that the Blue units would engage the tanks first allowing the mech infantry to reach the town.
  • I used a lot of speculative artillery. With 54 rounds of HE in a 60 minute scenerio plus 10 rounds of ICM to not use it is to waste it.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used a lot of speculative artillery. With 54 rounds of HE in a 60 minute scenerio plus 10 rounds of ICM to not use it is to waste it.
"Don't keep arty in reserve" was a teaching point at Ft Knox.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here are the replay files of this event. The password for Red is Tinjawkiller, blue is not protected. No offense intended Chaim, that was my old default password for PBEM games...easy to remember, opponent name+killer.....:halo:

I think it shows how a direct approach can be a good thing. It could have gone very badly with ATGM overwatch of the town and artillery.