Targeting torpedoes

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Day,
Recently ordered Midway and am watching the mail box. I have owned Guadalcanal since it first came out.
I had hoped that the torpedo targeting procedure would have been changed in Midway...and the also 1.04 Guadalcanal patch to be like the gunfire targeting procedure. After all the basic math to get a firing solution is the same.
You need own ship course and speed, target course and speed, current distance and torpedo speed (to arrive at time to target). I do understand that there are modifiers made to that solution.
With gunfire, the computer, bless its pointed little head, does the calculations but with torpedo fire, the user is left to "free tube" a solution. I cannot begin to understand the rationale for that decision.
If the computer plays the IJN player, the Long Lance torpedoes resemble historical accuracy. If I play the IJN player, torpedo accuracy is about what I would expect...in round numbers "0".
Is there any possibility that this will be "fixed" in the future ?

Thanks,
Old Dog

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!

Your point of view will determine if this is a "fix" or a "change". Some people will like the ability to control things at that level. With that said, more advanced torpedo rules are in the works for the future.

Enjoy the game!

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the forums!

Your point of view will determine if this is a "fix" or a "change". Some people will like the ability to control things at that level. With that said, more advanced torpedo rules are in the works for the future.

Enjoy the game!
Hi Rahamy,

Thanks for the speed of your response. My use of the word "fix" was advised. For those who want to control things at that level will there be an option to put all the gun turrets into 'local control' ? Certainly would save a lot of simulated lives.
The inconsistency between the two targeting methods irks, I'm afraid.
I look forward to the advanced torpedo rules. Do you know if both Guadalcanal and Midway torpedo rules will be updated ?
'Preciate your patience.

Old Dog

Last edited:

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I went back and re-read the instructional files (User.pdf and Started.pdf) concerning torpedo firing. The two do not match. Started.pdf (Getting Started) describes only the method of firing torpedoes that I have issue with. User.pdf, (User Manual) however describes both the old and the new method of targeting torpedoes. I haven't yet experimented to clarify the discrepancy between the two documents. Hopefully, the new (click/select firing ship, then Control/right click on target ship) method described in the User Manual functions as advertised.
As my copy of "Midway" arrived yesterday, I was able to verify that the instructions there match the instructions in the Guadalcanal 1.04 patch
Old Dog

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Games are not handy, but I believe that is an optional rule for aircraft.
Hi Mike,

Had not looked at the aircraft rules, but you're correct. The ship and aircraft rules and optional rules are quite similar.

Off topic...long ago and far away I had a hat like your avatar....different stuff written on it, but the hat was the same.

Be well,
Old Dog