Target Types and Who is affected

BrooklynLou

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who is affected by Area Fire.

Forgive me. I've been playing this game long enough that I should know this, but due to the off and on nature of *when* I play ASL, vital information occasionally goes down the memory hole (I suffer from Kelly Bundy memory loss syndrome. All new information knocks out some old info).

Anyway, here be the question.

Just who is affected in a given location by the different target types? Specifically infantry in various levels of a building.

Situation:
A unarmored vehicle in Bypass in a building hex with 2 levels. There is a squad on each level (GL, 1 and 2). The LOS is open.

Infantry Target Type
75 HE gun fires at infantry at Ground Level and hits. What happens to the other 2 squads and the vehicle?

75 HE gun fires at Vehicle at Ground Level and hits. What happens to the other 3 squads in the building?

Area Target Type
75 mm HE gun fires at infantry at Ground Level and hits. What happens to the other 2 squads and the vehicle?

75 HE gun fires at Vehicle at Ground Level and hits. What happens to the other 3 squads in the building?

60 mm Mortar fires at the infantry at Ground Level and hits. What happens to the other 2 squads and the vehicle?

Vehicle Traget Type

Discuss ... and thanks in advance for the help.

Big Lou (Shitty on rules, great on tactics) Manios[/b]

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Lou

ITT questions:
nothing (barring rubble which may not be possible with 75mm), nothing

ATT questions:
When you fire on the area target type you are not targetting individual units. Your three area target type questions are incorrect in the assumption that you specify the target units. You specify the target hex.

If you fire a 75mm HE gun using area target type with 3 squads and 1 vehicle as described and get a hit, you make 1 IFT effects roll versus all of them.
Since it is 75mm you use the 6 (or 7 if IIFT) FP column on the fire table since HE FP is halved for using the area target type. The two squads have the building tem (+2/+3) added to the roll. If the vehicle is unarmoured use the * result in the appropriate column (6,7). If armoured use the appropriate DRMs. If you don't kill the vehicle the same DR is used vrs any vulnerable PRC.

Same thing with the mortar, except that ROF may be retained. The infantry also get an additional +1 tem for each level above them as it is treated as indirect fire. If it was a stone building the squad at 2nd level takes a 4FP +3. The guy on 1st level takes a 4+4 and the guy on the ground level takes a 4+5. The indirect fire DRMs also apply to the vehicle ie -2 for OT.

It gets more complicated if there are different TH DRMs for each unit. Lets say that the vehicle is a small target in motion and the squad on the ground floor is concealed. The vehicle has a +3 TH drm and the concealed squad a +2. If your base TH was a 7 and no other modifiers apply, an orginal TH DR of 2 is a CH (randomly select from all 4 targets), a TH DR of 3 or 4 hits all targets, a TH of 5 hits all the infantry but misses the vehicle (small, motion => +3TH for a final TH DR of 8 versus the vehicle which is a miss) and a TH DR of 6 or 7 hits on;ly the unconcealed infantry and 8 or higher misses everyone.

VTT - nothing but the collateral attack may effect vulnerable PRC

A brief summary:
ITT, VTT - only affect the unit/location targetted. VTT may have collateral attack vrs PRC.
ATT could affect all units in the hex

BrooklynLou

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Adrian. The memory hole wasnt that deep. Its about what I remembered ....

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AdrianE said:
ITT questions:
nothing (barring rubble which may not be possible with 75mm), nothing
An unarmored vehicle is a valid target for the ITT, C3.32. Note that an ITT hit can also cause collateral attacks against vulnerable PRC in AFV.

PT109

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Building TEM

AdrianE wrote:

Same thing with the mortar, except that ROF may be retained. The infantry also get an additional +1 tem for each level above them as it is treated as indirect fire. If it was a stone building the squad at 2nd level takes a 4FP +3. The guy on 1st level takes a 4+4 and the guy on the ground level takes a 4+5. The indirect fire DRMs also apply to the vehicle ie -2 for OT.

Small point here....it should read: per rule B23.23 for stone bldg. 8)

Ground Level 4FP+3 TEM

1st Level 4FP+4 TEM

2nd Level 4FP+5 TEM

Sorry, couldn't resist...PT109

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Building TEM

PT109 said:
AdrianE wrote:

Small point here....it should read: per rule B23.23 for stone bldg. 8)

Ground Level 4FP+3 TEM

1st Level 4FP+4 TEM

2nd Level 4FP+5 TEM

Sorry, couldn't resist...PT109
Actually PT, Adrian was right and you are incorrect in your small point. The TEM of a building vs indirect fire is greater as you get to the lower levels. Thus the 4 FP +5 is at Ground level and not at second level. This is because the upper floors protect the lower floors more since there is more material to go through. Sorry, I also couldn't resist. :wink:

PT109

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Building TEM

I see now, but the way the rule is written IE B23.32 it can be confusing.

The rule means when a unit occupies the building, it gets an additional +1 for each level above the level that the unit occupies.

I read it as, each level of the building gets a +1 automatically.

After re-reading the rule and the example, its pretty clear.

Thanks...PT109