Tarawa

goatleaf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Excited to see in Ray's email that this module is at last about to be posted.

Anyone for the mega map at 12 feet x 8 feet?! I am tempted as I love the Berlin and Omaha mega maps. I can't tell whether the blow up factor is the same or might even be bigger.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Mega maps are a luxury too far. 1" hexes suit me fine. Glad to see the module is about to be released.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
not real interested in a "mega map " that is 55 8" x 11" printed panels that must be cut, trimmed laid and taped together to hold the map still... Sorry - out on this.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do agree with you on this, I do bet though when RT starts recycling through all these products for a new editions, he will change all the products from panel maps to paper maps, Absolutely genius.

Scott

not real interested in a "mega map " that is 55 8" x 11" printed panels that must be cut, trimmed laid and taped together to hold the map still... Sorry - out on this.

tmanmerlin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do agree with you on this, I do bet though when RT starts recycling through all these products for a new editions, he will change all the products from panel maps to paper maps, Absolutely genius.
Ding Ding, a winner.

You forgot how the counters will be re-issued also.

goatleaf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For the benefit of people who may like the mega maps, the panels for Berlin and Omaha did not need cutting or trimming. I am sure the Tarawa ones will be the same. The only difficulties are matching them up as the panels are not numbered and then holding them down under plexi. I have enjoyed playing on the Berlin/Omaha mega maps so much that, after the required hesitation period for careful consumers of 24 hours, I just sprung for the Tarawa megas even though I will only get half of them on my table at any one time.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For the benefit of people who may like the mega maps, the panels for Berlin and Omaha did not need cutting or trimming. I am sure the Tarawa ones will be the same. The only difficulties are matching them up as the panels are not numbered and then holding them down under plexi. I have enjoyed playing on the Berlin/Omaha mega maps so much that, after the required hesitation period for careful consumers of 24 hours, I just sprung for the Tarawa megas even though I will only get half of them on my table at any one time.
Nothing wrong with the panel maps, I like them. It's the usual CH bashers who dont. Expect Pitman to reply saying he cant see them with too much glare!

The winterised Parkers Crossroads are good.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nothing wrong with the panel maps, I like them. It's the usual CH bashers who dont. Expect Pitman to reply saying he cant see them with too much glare!

Believe me, I am far from a "CH Basher".

I much prefer a single set of 2-4 large heavy gauge paper mapsheets. The print is cleaner and clearer, there is little to zero confusion about their layout.

BR:T was a signle pair of large mapsheets for the entire island of betio , so no idea at all why CH cannot produce something in similar size, rather than a large stack of cardstock map panels.

Well, actually I do quite understand it, the DCOP and Ryobi Presses that Ray Tapio bought to run print on demand for his customers have size limitations a larger printing press does not. I understand that concept well, I used to work for Deluxe Check Printers, and am quite well-versed in the capabilities and limitations of various printing presses.

Fact is, having a large stack of cardstock map panels simply to keep the printing " in house" is not something I am willing to support with my ASL dollars.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am sure in a year or so RT will be trotting out his Retro Last to Final Word editions but with paper maps. Seriously, the only products I have bought thus far are St Lo, the SS counter sheets and at a deep discount for the CH annual 3. Even though I hate the panel maps, I think St Lo will be a smaller playing area, so you don't have to deal with 5 or 20 map panels.

Believe me, I am far from a "CH Basher".

I much prefer a single set of 2-4 large heavy gauge paper mapsheets. The print is cleaner and clearer, there is little to zero confusion about their layout.

BR:T was a signle pair of large mapsheets for the entire island of betio , so no idea at all why CH cannot produce something in similar size, rather than a large stack of cardstock map panels.

Well, actually I do quite understand it, the DCOP and Ryobi Presses that Ray Tapio bought to run print on demand for his customers have size limitations a larger printing press does not. I understand that concept well, I used to work for Deluxe Check Printers, and am quite well-versed in the capabilities and limitations of various printing presses.

Fact is, having a large stack of cardstock map panels simply to keep the printing " in house" is not something I am willing to support with my ASL dollars.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excited to see in Ray's email that this module is at last about to be posted.

Anyone for the mega map at 12 feet x 8 feet?! I am tempted as I love the Berlin and Omaha mega maps. I can't tell whether the blow up factor is the same or might even be bigger.
Seriously, why are you excited? Everybody knows it is going to be bad and unplaytested.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The "usual CH bashers" include the vast majority of the ASL world, so I am in good company. As for the glossy map panels, they have one strength--they are more brightly colored and in that respect are an improvement over the previous drab maps.

However, they are expensive, they have lots of glare and, most importantly, they are very frustrating to use when there are more than 4 map panels.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The "usual CH bashers" include the vast majority of the ASL world, so I am in good company. As for the glossy map panels, they have one strength--they are more brightly colored and in that respect are an improvement over the previous drab maps.

However, they are expensive, they have lots of glare and, most importantly, they are very frustrating to use when there are more than 4 map panels.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Never found them to be a problem myself.... a bit of blue tack to stick them together and plexiglass on top and your good to go. In addition, for the majority of scenarios you do not use all of them.

As for cost, never paid full price for any CH stuff - i'm always being sent discount codes between 30-50% off. However i appreciate i'm in the minority here.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am not sure if you are REALLY in a minority here .. almost everyone I know has discount codes.

I am not sure if "Full price" is really the full price. I think "Full price" x 50% is the REAL full price.

I am of course delighted for you if I am wrong, but I, a non customer was given discount codes, I think most people do.

Rgds Jack

Never found them to be a problem myself.... a bit of blue tack to stick them together and plexiglass on top and your good to go. In addition, for the majority of scenarios you do not use all of them.

As for cost, never paid full price for any CH stuff - i'm always being sent discount codes between 30-50% off. However i appreciate i'm in the minority here.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

It is irrelevant whether you paid full price or not. They cost MORE, so you paid more than you would have otherwise, regardless.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not sure if you are REALLY in a minority here .. almost everyone I know has discount codes.

I am not sure if "Full price" is really the full price. I think "Full price" x 50% is the REAL full price.

I am of course delighted for you if I am wrong, but I, a non customer was given discount codes, I think most people do.

Rgds Jack
Dude, do you understand that paying $20 for a $40 product with panel maps is still paying more money than paying $10 for a $20 product with regular maps?

bis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Rgds Jack
What's this discount code?
I'm interested in Operation Olive. I'd consider that at half price.
For some reason I was dropped from the Critical Hit e-mail mailing list a couple years ago.
But I'm so upset about the map panels I can't be bothered to sign up again.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's this discount code?
I'm interested in Operation Olive. I'd consider that at half price.
For some reason I was dropped from the Critical Hit e-mail mailing list a couple years ago.
But I'm so upset about the map panels I can't be bothered to sign up again.
being upset about the map panels makes you a " Critical Hit Basher". ( Apparently).

Discount codes don't seem to matter in determining if you are a CH basher, only the fact that you are not enthralled by the map panels.

KRL, Jon H

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Rgds Jack
Jack

I meant i'm in a minority with regards to liking CH products. Each to their own. Personally with regards to the maps, I only play historical games rather than use the geomorph boards and i like CH's style.

Regards Ian

Ranger 6

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To each his own. I find no difference in glare between a map panel covered with plexi and a paper map covered with plexi. And I don't find the map panels to be "frustrating to use" at all.