Tapio Does it again

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all,

This is a spoiler alert, it looks like CH has done it again, some may remember I remade the map for the old paper module 'The Central Railway Station' early last year and BigAl VASL'd it for me and it is hosted on the VASL.info site for all to use for free, CH has just released a module called 'Stalingrad Basic Game I' gues what, it uses the self same map as 'The central railway station' and is an almost 100% perfect redraw of the VASL map I made for all to enjoy for free, CH are charging $29 for it!!

I am mad to say the least that CH has the gall to try and gain financially from someones else's work yet again!! At least I got permission to reraw the map and get it VASL'd so we can all enjoy it for Free.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Hi all,

This is a spoiler alert, it looks like CH has done it again, some may remember I remade the map for the old paper module 'The Central Railway Station' early last year and BigAl VASL'd it for me and it is hosted on the VASL.info site for all to use for free, CH has just released a module called 'Stalingrad Basic Game I' gues what, it uses the self same map as 'The central railway station' and is an almost 100% perfect redraw of the VASL map I made for all to enjoy for free, CH are charging $29 for it!!

I am mad to say the least that CH has the gall to try and gain financially from someones else's work yet again!! At least I got permission to reraw the map and get it VASL'd so we can all enjoy it for Free.
He's a scum bag.

And anyone who buys the shit Critical Hit sell are enabling him.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
He's a scum bag.

And anyone who buys the shit Critical Hit sell are enabling him.
What annoys me Martin is that I had the decency to ask permission of the original maker of the module to redraw his work via Hexdraw and big Al was kind enough to VASL it, it is still up on the VASL.info site for all to use for FREE, and the wanker is charging folk $29 for work that is not his, hell, apart from the redraw (and that is only due to permission from the original artist) it is not even mine!

I suppose should be flattered in a wierd sortta way

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
What annoys me Martin is that I had the decency to ask permission of the original maker of the module to redraw his work via Hexdraw and big Al was kind enough to VASL it, it is still up on the VASL.info site for all to use for FREE, and the wanker is charging folk $29 for work that is not his, hell, apart from the redraw (and that is only due to permission from the original artist) it is not even mine!

I suppose should be flattered in a wierd sortta way
The original artist gave you permission to redraw it and, at your request, allow that version to be used in VASL without compensation to him but did not surrender his copyright. Did the original artist give CH permission to use the "Hexdraw" redrawn map? If not, then the original artist has to enforce his copyright to the work by sending a cease and desist letter to CH.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The original artist gave you permission to redraw it and, at your request, allow that version to be used in VASL without compensation to him but did not surrender his copyright. Did the original artist give CH permission to use the "Hexdraw" redrawn map? If not, then the original artist has to enforce his copyright to the work by sending a cease and desist letter to CH.
As far as I know this has not happened, I asked for permission to redraw the map and host it on VASL.info for free so the ASL community can enjoy the Original artists module, this was done with out any problems, CH by the looks of it has taken the HexDraw map I made and with a few subtle changes (red hatched lines indicating the under pass on the main railway building have been removed, and a few buildings changed grahpic wise)) the map is what I did in Hexdraw and so as far as I am concerned still belongs to the original artist/s.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I once was a good CH customer, the repeats slowly turning me off, so I dropped out. The ToT copy stuff made me vow to never buy CH again.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
On All Fronts probably does not own the copyright. The publisher of On All Fronts cannot give permission to redraw a map they published without the authority of the original creator. Generally, when On All Fronts published the map and module they (probably) did so as first publication rights. Tom retained all remaining rights. I doubt Tom sold all copyrights to the publisher of On All Fronts without a contract. If it was Tom's map then Tom needs to send the letter.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
someone needs to as you can see all that has been done is a few graphical touch ups and a small amount of building deletion near the main square, and that is it, the map is the same as I did for VASL.info, also another dead give away is the rubble graphics, on hexdraw you can set the angle the sit at in the hex to random, I did not realize this until almost 75% done on the map and you can see loads of wooden and stone rubble hexes all orientated the same way, it is just plain wrong he is doing this and getting money that belongs to the original artist.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
someone needs to as you can see all that has been done is a few graphical touch ups and a small amount of building deletion near the main square, and that is it, the map is the same as I did for VASL.info, also another dead give away is the rubble graphics, on hexdraw you can set the angle the sit at in the hex to random, I did not realize this until almost 75% done on the map and you can see loads of wooden and stone rubble hexes all orientated the same way, it is just plain wrong he is doing this and getting money that belongs to the original artist.
If it was Tom's work then Tom has to enforce his copyright by sending the letter. Nobody can do it for him.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If it was Tom's work then Tom has to enforce his copyright by sending the letter. Nobody can do it for him.
correct, I do not have Tom;s contact details to hand, but I would happily get hold of him and inform him if I did.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Now before anybody jumps down my throat I am NOT in any way supporting the man, I disagree with his way of doing quite a lot but and it is a tenuous but, did he not gain the rights way back to reprint the OAF stuff? I agree with Perry that using the copy of his map is wrong, very wrong.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Do we know for sure Critical Hit didn't obtain permission from Tom?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know about that but here's one thing I do know for sure. Somebody redrew the map using Hexdraw and posted it on VASL.info for all to use for free. I know that because it's been mentioned at least 5 times in 20 posts. We get it.