Tannenberg 14 Rasmus versus Skyvon

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
TBERG 14
These notes where made for my second tournament game. This time I will upload all the the text first and then simply add the pictures as time permits. Feel free to comment at the end.

Russian Skyvon
German Rasmus

General Strategy.
I intend to use my two advantages (supply and unit quality), to wear down his forces and make my main counterstrike in the north and center. Much will however depends on his opening moves. In the north I plan on advancing along the railway and take Kovno, then swing S towards Olitsa. In the center I will advance towards Lyck and then Swing N towards Suvalki and Olitsa. In the S I plan on making a quick go for Lautenburg, Tannenberg and Willenburg, and then ship a large number of forces north. I do not think it is feasible of reaching Warsaw without giving up on either Kovno or Olitsa. Also the deep south is where my supply superiority will be at its lowest.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 1

Russians.
The Russians advances into Lyck and surrounds and destroys my CAV BDE NW of Suvalki. In the north he shuffles some cavalry around, but does not cross the border. A rather timid start here I must say.
In the south he moves through Lautenburg, but does not bother to take Willenburg.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
I Throw my First Corps forward in order to establish defensive positions as far forward as possible. A single BDE is sent south to Rastenburg, in order to support a drive on Willenburg on turn 2.

Central Theater.
The Lutzen BDE is broken down and the two REGs are sent to screen the Russian in Lyck and North of the Masurian lakes.

Southern Theater.
A single IR BDE probes towards lautenburg, but withdraws to the safety of the western riverbank.

Plans for the future.
Dig in North, smash him in the south, then transfer forces to the north and center and go all out here. Final Objectives are Kovno, Suvalki, Lyck, Olita, Lautenburg and Willenburg.

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 2

Russians.
I this turn he advances in a great arc from Plock in the south to Suvalki in the north. Only in the far north does he hold back. Tannenberg is taken and garrisoned with two BDEs, a HQ some artillery and a few CAV BTNs. Flank protection is light however. He attacks out of Lyck for three or four turns. Unfortunately the Hex NW of Lyck is covered by at least three fortresses and the german regiment defending losses only 1 rifle squad.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
I try to secure my flanks while infiltrating around his positions, in the hope of managing a few surrounds next turn. I manage to push one hex further along the rail line towards Kovno.

Central Theater.
Here I throw I RES CORP forward towards Suvalki in the hope of defeating the four BDEs he has got here. The regiment sent to Rastenburg last turn is send to reinforce the fortresses N of Willenburg.

Southern Theater.
I manage to surround and evaporate all but a single INF BTN. Lautenburg is approached from the N and S.

Plans for the future.

In the North I plan to push steadily E while securing the flanks. Reinforcements should be arriving at a pace of one or two BDEs per turn in this theatre. In the Center I will push on Suvalki and hope to effect a few surrounds. Secondary target is Olitsa. Lyck will be attacked later on. I the S I hope to effect a sweep from Lautenburg to Willenburg, hope fully catching a few Russians north of the Lautenburg, Mlava, Chorzele, Willenburg axis.

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 3

Russians.
In the north he throws back a few of my infiltrating CAV units. His Heavy units arrive at the front.
In the center he uses one of his INF BDEs to attack deeper into german territory against a CAV unit. This leaves the door for Suvalki open. I the south he relieves the Tanneberg pocket and shores up his lines. To my great joy he moves one INF BDE S of the Vistula to slpa a cav REG around. This is great as that is one less heavy unit I will have to worry about near the VPs.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
This is the quiet theatre this turn. His reinforcements forces me to slow down here. I do however manage to take another rail hex on the road to Kovno. Another BDE arrives by rail.

Central Theater.
More action here. His hasty attack, here leaves Suvalki wide open and allows me to surround and evaporate two INF BDEs. He has reinforcements on the way, but I think Suvalki is safe for now. Lyck is invested but holds.

Southern Theater.
Another succesfull theatre. I manage to sneak around two INF BDEs S of Tannenberg and one W of Lautenburg. All but a single BTN is killed of as Lautenburg falls.

Plans for the future.
Next turn will see the start of the force transfer from the south to the north.

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 4

Russians.
In the north he probes the woods further west and consolidates in front of Kovno. He moves towards the flanks of the Suvalki conquerors, but is unable to cut them off completely. In the south he sounds the horns of general withdrawal around Lautenburg, and digs in around Willenburg.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
I try to push along the railway towards Kovno, but with little luck.
My left flank is weak, but far from higvalue property. I rail in some extras from Koenigsberg to protect the railline.

Central Theater.
Digging in near Suvalki, and railing in some artillery for the attack on Lyck.

Southern Theater.
Pushing on Willenburg and preparing a shipment of BDEs to the Kovno front.

Plans for the future.
Take Lyck then move on Kovno and Olitsa. Prepare for Willenburg in a few turns.

Sorry I forgot to save a turnfile :cry: .

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 5

Russians.
He moves on Thorn with one BDE. And withdraws further away from Lautenburg. In the north he slips a BDE of INF behind my Cavalry screen. Time for surrounding and destroying.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
I manage to surround his renegade BDE but fails miserably in my attempt to kill it of.
My push on Kovno is not moving very fast.

Central Theater.
I manage to clear Suvalkis southern flank, but fail when I try to clear Lyck.

Southern Theater.
I manage to gain two hexes on Willenburg. Thorn is reinforced by a single CAV BTN. Not much to face up to a INF BDE but reinforcements are on the way. S of Lautenburg I slap some broken down units around. Not very wise. I currently have 6 BDEs doing this. I must decide either to push on Warsaw or move them to somewhere more target rich.

Plans for the future.
Secure Suvalki, clear Lyck, push on towards Kovno.

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 6

Russians.
Some scattered attacks. He pushes his BDE to just S of Thorn. In the N he breaks my encirclement and moves towards Koenigsberg.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
A push N of the railline puts me three hexes from Kovno. I surround his BDE again put am unable to kill it off. I rail a HQ into Kberg to fend off the CAV REG looming in the woods.

Central Theater.
Much of my formations near Suvalki is in reorg. A limited attack manages to clear Lyck, but I am unable to enter it.

Southern Theater.
I manage to take Willenburg, and push his three defending BDEs N. These should be encircled and killed off shortly. S of Thorn I manage to surround his BDE with a newly arrived Corps.

Plans for the future.
The situation here almost halfway is 115 points to me. Loss penalties are 39/14 in my favour. Lyck and Kovno should bring me up to an OV providing I can keep the favourable loss penalty.

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 7

Russians.
He attempts breakouts with his surrounded BDEs to no avail. A single BDE blitzes his way towards Thorn, but winds up behind my lines. A single HQ occupying a reinforcement hex is withdrawn.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
I blitz the surrounded BDE and manage to evaporate it down to a single BTN. I then leave it surrounded and Strikes out for Kovno. I am now two hexes from the city, and his Northern flank is looking weak. His Cav BDE failed to cut my railline, so I move to HQs in to contact in order to keep him pinned.

Central Theater.
Lyck is taken.

Southern Theater.
I manage to evaporate two surrounded BDEs and cause grevious harm to his units N of Willenburg. Fighting in range of the german fortifications is bad for the Russians.
N of Warsaw I blitz a few units and in the end I am only 8 hexes away from Warsaw.
A single BDE is railed North and the reinforcement hex is retaken.

Plans for the future.
I am still undecided about a push for Warsaw. I have a few good units here but no artillery.
I will have to defend here anyway so I might as well press the issue. My supply is rotten so I will not push too hard in case I evaporate and leaves the VP cities undefended. In the center I will fortify and take a few cheap shots aimed at driving his Loss penalty up.

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 8

Russians.
General withdrawal in front of Warsaw. A strike at the southern flank of Suvalki and some major reshuffling in the north.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
I manage to gain two more hexes N of the railroad.

Central Theater.
Suvalki is reinforced and the southern flank is restored. I make some spoilerattacks out of Lyck. A hook from Willenburg is coming to take the Russians near Lyck, from behind.

Southern Theater.
I push for Warsaw with the available forces and prepare the newly arrived reinforcements for shipment to the north.

Plans for the future.
I will keep on some pressure in the south and send all available units N for a secondary drive on Olitsa. Kovno should be invested in a few turns.

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 9

Russians.
Some shuffling, nothing major.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
I manage to push to the outskirts of Kovno. A push SE against Olitsa fails spectacularly.

Central Theater.
A BDE blitzes out of Lyck and winds up SW of Suvalki on the wrong side of the lines.
An attack to relieve it fails. I nanage to pus him away from Lyck, while a pincer from the south arrives. I am not solid here, but feel confident that I can maul him sufficiently to keep my possessions in the long run.

Southern Theater.
I push a little here and there and hook a BDE towards Warsaw.

Plans for the future.
Take Kovno and push like hell for Olitsa. I will try to encircle and kill of as many russians near Lyck as possible. Every BDE is one more VP for me.

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 10

Russians.
NW of Kovno the Russians suroounds and evaporates a german BDE. Ouch.
Elsewhere he shuffles some but make no major attacks.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
I manage to make a lot of progress on my left flank and ends up with 3 hexes on Kovno. His front up here seems to be crumbling and his loss penalty rises 25 this turn. I manage to break his seemingly unbreakable line in front of Olitsa, but the wrong unit advances and leaves a lightly defended breach in my lines. Stupid move on my part, bur I am not sure he can exploit it.

Central Theater.
The Russians outside Lyck is being rounded up as the hook from Willenburg arrives in strength. He is badly flanked, and I foresee a withdrawal towards Augustov. My trapped BDE manages to break back into contact with friendly forces. A weak linkup between the Lyck and Suvalki forces is achieved, and once it firms up, the supply near Suvalki should improve quite a bit.

Southern Theater.
I push steadily for Warsaw, and clears up a few remnant forces in the area. Still not sure whether or not I will make it down here.

Plans for the future.
As before.

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 11

Russians.
Arrgh. He sends a full CAV BDE behind my lines near Kovno and retreats most of my artillery. No support for the front lines this turn, and if I do not get my railline restored my front line units will suffer, thus weakening my thrust on Kovno. In the center the withdrawal continues, He is now manning the frontlines N of Suvalki with CAV, RES and HQs and his INF BDEs are nowhere to be seen. I suspect they are busy as bees digging trenches in front of Olitsa. In the South me fails to surround my BDE near Warsaw, but makes some weak pushes for my rear. I am not sure what is wrong, but my Warsaw attack force is without a line of supply to the rear (and has been like that for two turns), and still shows up as supplied. Well never look given horse in mouth.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
First I push his raiders off my railline, then I surround and kills off his “behind-my-lines” forces, and push out for a further surrounding of Kovno. A late turn direct assault fails to clear Kovno completely but the fortress evaporates and next turn I can try again with artillery support. N of Kovno I manage to evaporate most of a stack and push the rest back. My push on olitsa gain a hex, and is now two hexes away, but unless it is heavily reinforced from the N it will not go much further, as I suspect him of having quite a lot of BDEs dug in here.

Central Theater.
The linkup between the Lyck and Suvalki forces is consolidated. I manage to roll him further back to wards Augustov. And gain two hexes N of Suvalki. One more hex here and Suvalki is safe.

Southern Theater.
Most of my forces here go into reorg. I do however manage to push half of my INF BDE into contact with Warsaw. A second push to gain another hex fails.

Plans for the future.
I hope to catch most of his forces up N and kill them off before the game ends. Kovno must fall but Olitsa would be pure luck. In the center I hope to effect some huge surrounds and evaporations, thus driving his loss penalty further up. If my forces in the S come back to health a turn 13 attack might become an option.

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 12

Russians.
On this turn he moves a lot of his units N of Kovno S and into the city.
He manages to clear my BDE out of the hex near Warsaw and chases some rabble around between Warsaw and Willenburg.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
Kovno finally falls. My breaktrough S of Kovno is extended towards Olitsa and a new breaktrough established NW of Olitsa.

Central Theater.
I manage to break through his lines N of Suvalki and send a few more units towards Olitsa.

Southern Theater.
I manage to reoccupy the hex just N of Warsaw , and move the relief force a few hexes closer.

Plans for the future.
Now that Kovno has fallen , my next move must be to push as aggressively as possible on Olitsa and Warsaw, both are long shots, but even a slim chance must be taken on the last turn. If I can pocket and evaporate some of his units, it should drive up his loss penalty further ensuring my victory.

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 13

Russians.
In the North he reinforces Olitsa and takes Kovno back! He fails to dislodge the BDE at Warsaw. In the center he withdraws the bulk of his forces E of Lyck.

Germans.

Northern Theater.
I retake Kovno, then get hit by an early turn ending. I do not think I would have had a shot at Olitsa anyway.

Central Theater.
Nothing much.

Southern Theater.
Nothing much.

Result
The game ended in a german OV. As has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, the game balance in this game is very much in favour of the germans. I thank Skyvon for a well played game, that I think I enjoyed more than he did. :) :salute:

Last edited: