Tanks

Ryan101st

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shermans, Tigers, Panzers, you can find them all in BF1942. Of course, with these you’ll also find Bazookas, anti-tank mines, and Panzerfausts. Use this thread to talk about all things that have to do with tanks. Post the methods you use when you’re operating a tank, everything from driving too firing. Also post your anti-tank strategies, whether it is the well placed mine, or the kamikaze jeep, if it will blow up an enemy tank, its welcome.

Tank vs. Tank

One of the most enjoyable aspects of BF1942 is two tanks battling it out. Here are a few simple tips you can use in order to help you win a tank duel.

If there is a large distance between you and the enemy tank, depth is the priority. So in order to confuse the enemy tank, you want to use this to your advantage. To do this, you must be constantly moving toward or away from the enemy. This should cause his shells, for the most part, to fall short or long. While you are taking this defensive measurement, you should also be firing. It is not as hard as it seems, to fire accurately while moving back and forth, it just takes practice. The reason you should not move side to side in a situation like this is it makes it much harder to fire accurately.

If there is a small distance between you and the enemy tank, (small as in all you need to do to get a hit is put your cross hairs on the enemy tank and fire) then getting out of the way is priority. Move in circles, behind buildings, down hills, anything you can do that will get you out of the line of fire. Of course while in this process you must also try and get a clear shot to take yourself.

In either case, one thing is clear; standing still is suicide.

scuud

Reaction score
I enjoy the suicidal jeep scenario, have a friend who's an engineer fill it with explosives, when you hit the tank have him blow the exp packs.

Napoleon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I though I was the only one who did that......yea there's nothing like watching the enemy get into a tank and then blowing it up with dynamite!

The_Tactician

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've learned to fire accurately at enemy tanks while I'm on the move, so if I see an enemy tank, I'll fire a shot, and then move forward at full speed. Usually I can get another 2 shots off before I'm at point blank range, but that's usually how I do it. I'll get extrememly close and keep moving so I present them with a hard target. If all else fails I just get into a jeep, or an airplane and go kamikaze crazy.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is on them except for there is one half-track where the person is semi protected. Other than that though, it is just asking to be sniped/gunned down.

scuud

Reaction score
I just remembered a good half-track strategy. Just have one person (you) be an engineer and get in a half-track, if you want to gun, go gun, when you get hurt from that, go in the back and heal. When you need to move, move, and when the half-track needs repairing, do it. It's a completly self sustaining envirnoment.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Originally posted by scuud
Does anyone else agree with me that the mounted gun on top of tanks and half-tracks is a death trap?

I agree!! That is because like all FPS games there is no modeling of suppressive fire! For instance, a gamer will jump onto the MG42 of an HT and starts shooting 1500rpm at me!! I can tag him first with my rifle b/c it is more accurate than the MG. And because the game doesn't model suppressive fire I dont notice the 1500rpm hitting within 10ft of me!! ha ha We are all suckahs thinking the MGs are great in these games!

I'll have to start a new thread on this topic

Cpt. Bonez

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
a good anti-tank tip: (Omaha Beach level) If fighting for the Nazi forces, i suggest placing tons of anti-tank mines just over, or on, the ridge leading to the Nazi village.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think a good strategy for tanks is to have a sniper take the top guy off (if needed), then have an engineer go and place explosives quickly, then set them off. If it's suicide, I don't really care because a tank is worth a couple infantry :)

It may not be all that efficent, but it is sure cool!

Gepard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New Tactic

Tactic: I've been playing a lot of the Liberation of Caen scenario lately. I've noticed that Germans often take a bazooka guy and get on the motorcycle. They ride around and approach the rear of the tank. From the rear, you can single shot the tank.

Counter-Tactic: Take a SMG when you mount your tank. When you hear the motorcycle approach, wait until you hear the engine stop, bail out, and kill the bazooka guy.